Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toddvanessa_kacer

Critique my new floorplan! Master bath and kitchen

Todd & Vanessa Kacer
15 days ago
last modified: 14 days ago

Looking for critique of our new floorplan, especially the master bath and kitchen area! We are finalizing the floorplan with our designer this week and would love any feedback for what you think works/doesn't as far as layout and flow. Thank you!

Edit: This floorplan was flawed from the start with the master bed/bath right off of the kitchen. I like the idea of creating a hallway between the kitchen/master but the trey ceiling in the bedroom has been limiting our floorplan options. Neither our contractor/designer has really suggested to us that changing the ceilings would be an option, but I can ask. The existing windows in the master bath is also limiting configuration options. And behind the living room/fireplace there is another hallway, 3 more bedrooms and a full bath.

Comments (7)

• kandrewspa
    15 days ago

Is there more than one bedroom in this house? Even if you're empty nesters you still need more than one. I don't care for how the kitchen has multiple traffic patterns through it, but I don't know how you would solve that issue without substantial changes to the layout.

• anj_p
    15 days ago

Accessing the bedroom through the kitchen would be a hard no for me. Very hard no.

As for the rest it's a bit hard to tell what's existing and what's new.

• bpath
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

I don’t think your kitchen will work well. All of its elements are separated by walkways and doorways, no part of the kitchen connects to any other part. And it will be dark, no natural light.

Worse is that your bedroom, and garage for that matter, lands you right in front of the kitchen sink. So, you get up in the morning, ready to start the day, but the very first thing you see is the cereal bowl and spoon from last night’s late snack. You deserve nicer! In fact, the bedroom is part of the working area of the house, with kitchen, garage, laundry right there.

What is the space beyond the den and living room, behind the fireplace?

You might consider adding a shower to the half-bath, for overnight visitors, caregiver, or resale.

There isn’t much storage in the bathroom. The shelves above the tub aren’t very practical. You could replace those with a linen cabinet in the toilet room.

Consider moving the bar in the porch to the other end, by the kitchen. And you’ll want a casual dining table out there.

Why double doors in the garage?

• bpath
    15 days ago

Honestly, the bathroom doesn’t really work, either. The shower is too close to the closet, drips on the floor could get tracked in. Hair and powder will drift across the floor in to the closet. And to get a sweater, you have to walk all the way through the bathroom. Consider moving the bathroom door to the right, closer to the closet (if you insist on having the closet open to the bathroom. Of course, that will change the placement of the bedroom ceiling.

• herbflavor
    15 days ago

when entering from garage/ turn right and make a small hall which contains a doorway to bedroom and a doorway into kitchen and beyond.....this makes kitchen entry about where fridge is shown. the entry to master would be facing the bedroom closet at the end of such hall.....hall can be about as long as youd like... the hall will be a buffer and you need it...you can make things even better with closet entry off the bedroom wall ...rather than thru the bath.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    15 days ago

The entry to the bedroom could be tight with turns for larger furniture, king msttess. Double doors really don't save much, Both need to be opened as they usually aren't comfortable to just go thru one. Better off to just put a single door in and it takes up less space, better sound blocking as well.

Kitchen is convenient for midnight snacks!

• bpath
    15 days ago

I was thinking along herbflavor’s line.

Trying out a couple of ideas for the bath and closet, but at the very least, I’d rather have the closet closer to the vanity than to the shower, as their functions are more related.