Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kara_dial

What are these straight cracks in my ceiling?

Kara M
16 days ago
last modified: 16 days ago

On my garage ceiling I have two cracks in the popcorn ceiling that run from front to back of the garage. i have noticed these for a few years. we have lived here 8 years, they may have always been there. it seems like they are evenly spaced- one runs the length of my car and there is one over my spouse’s car. my only guess is the popcorn finish is peeling at ceiling boards due to humidity in the garage. There is an attic overhead. any ideas?

Comments (6)

• Gary Devine
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

I've noticed two cracks in my garage's popcorn ceiling, possibly due to humidity. The attic overhead might be a factor. Considering repairs to prevent further damage. Same problem my neighbor had. get more guide and assistance roof repair Annandale va...

Kara M thanked Gary Devine
  • Gary Devine
    16 days ago

I've noticed two evenly spaced cracks in my garage's popcorn ceiling, running from front to back, possibly due to humidity. The attic overhead might be contributing. repairs to prevent further damage. Experienced the same issue as my neighbor.

Kara M thanked Gary Devine
  • Snipo roofer
    16 days ago

My advice would be to bite the bullet and pay for a complete re-roof. I assume that was a typo and that you are selling the house in June, in which case I may be too late with my reply! A roof in such poor condition will affect the sale price disproportionately - it may cost 4 or 5K to replace the roof, but otherwise could drop the sale price by much more, if indeed the potential purchaser could secure a mortgage without strict conditions being stipulated. I really don't think it is worth trying to repair, this could cost almost as much as a new roof and still not fix the problem.
    One thing to never even consider is having that awful spray foam applied - it only made my roof worse, and increased the cost of replacement due to the extra time and effort taken to remove it along with the old tiles.

• Kara M
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Oh we have already had two new roofs in 8 years due to hail. there is no damage in the garage due to the roof.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    15 days ago

Popcorn texture is used to cover sloppy drywall. Get a crew in to remove the texture and tape and mud the joints. They will go away. Probably worth the money if you are selling because the buyer will decide it’s dire.

Kara M thanked HALLETT & Co.