Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kari_chandler48

help!!! need ideas!

Kari Chandler
18 days ago

Looking for ideas on how I can update the front exterior! We recently remodeled the interior, so I now want to focus on the exterior.

Comments (25)

• ptreckel
    18 days ago

Could you post, in comments, additional photos of the front of your house. Show it in its entirety, from the street. This way, those who will make suggestions for landscaping can do so.

• cat_ky
    18 days ago

I would paint the front door, a pretty brighter color, and find two big pots, same color as you paint the door and put one on each side of the cement porch. You might want to consider going to a nice big reputable nursery and asking if they have a landscape designer, and have them, plan out some nice landscaping, and if you want to do the landscaping yourself, then you can work off the landscape plan little by little. You need quite a bit of landscaping there. Add some small flowering trees to your front yard. A sidewalk from the front door, to either your drive way, or to the street. Hard to say where, since we cant see, h ow your house is situated.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    18 days ago

Difficult to see in the photo but is there a brick step directly in front of the door? If not, that is a huge step from the porch to the front door. Think I would advise focusing on the entry as it doesn't work so well right now - at least visually. Going to take some time and thought on how to improve it though. As ptreckel asked posting other photos as well as a to scale floor plan would be really helpful.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    18 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Agree with Norwood 👆.

The entry looks unused and temporary and that front step looks small, high and awkward to use. Do visitors, UPS, etc. approach your house at this door? Do you use this door? Is there a sidewalk? Is this the view of your house that passersby see?

This is a pet peeve of mine: you have lots of matching windows but the ones on the right have what appears to be white shades or white lined drapes but the ones on the left have something else.

The brick is very nice. I like it.

You can browse Houzz for ideas, like this:

• Boxerpal
    18 days ago

Sweet house..

What is your budget? What changes do you want to make?

I think you need a walkway and maybe some shrubs.

Here is a great link that talks about ways to update your home.

Cottage Industries Portico Designs

Ranch House Driveway and Front Entry Paving installation · More Info

My Houzz: 1970s Texas Ranch House Gets a Boho Update · More Info

Home Front Yards · More Info

• Mrs Pete
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

The steps are a little odd, but you probably don't want to re-do brickwork that's in good condition. I'd add pots of flowers to distract from these. Other landscaping too.

I notice you don't have a pathway leading to the front door. This is a must.

• Sigrid
    17 days ago

I'd paint the front door a cheery color and add landscapng and a path to the front door.

• Cara Fidler
    17 days ago

I would make the porch bigger and have a longer walkway off to the right side of the porch. As it is the porch is swallowed up by the front lawn.

• Kari Chandler
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Thanks for the great ideas. Keep them coming! I am going to look into what I can do with the front porch, structurally. Will paint the door asap and add the flowers/plants to decorate. I have been reluctant to build a flower bed because the front yard is a gradual slope(notice each side of small porch). However, I would like some kind of decor in front of those windows to dress things up a bit.

• houssaon
    17 days ago

I would get a new door. That one looks Victorian.

I think two tall containers on either side of the porch would look good. Then have simple low growing evergreens or boxwoods for foundation plantings. Add annual for color and a nice walkway to your front door.

• ci_lantro
    17 days ago

New front door that is a better style match to the house. Replace the half moon step--round doesn't work with the house. Add a walkway to the porch.

• Kari Chandler
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Awesome!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

don't paint that door. the faux victorian look doesn't match the style of the home.

get a new door. solid wood w/stain/varnish, or one you can paint. the doors photoshopped above are what you need. something in the MCM range.

more traditional wood door w/bronze lights, tradtional numbers

As you can see. getting rid of that horrible white door, bringing in some decorative elements makes a huge diff. And lets not forget landscaping

I would also do some type of walkway to the front on the grass. right now it looks odd. some flower beds under the windows are a must too
    if you wanted a blue color, here's how that looks. diff lights this time:

this is the landscape inspo I used

if you want to build out the front porch under one side of the windows, great.

wouldn't hurt to bring in some house numbers/lights in the 60's vibe. I'd prob stain that concrete porch a darker color like Urbane Bronze. looks great w/your brick

Urbane Bronze, middle right. these others should also work too

Copper is another nice accent w/your brick. dark copper or bronze lights, door handle, etc

If you ever think about whitewashing your brick (Romabio Classico, all natural) here are some coordinating colors w/wood and copper

BTW, this FB Brinjal color would look great if you get a new door to paint

• Kari Chandler
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Omg!!! These are perfect! I’m a visual person and these are exactly what I needed to see

• Kari Chandler
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Landscaping question: if you notice in the original pic I posted, the yard is on a gradual slope. So anything I plant on on the left side is going to be shorter than the right. I am a very uniform person and think everything has to match….so, when it comes to landscaping, does it matter that when I plant something there that what I plant on one side is not the same height as the other. 🤦‍♀️ I feel stupid for even asking lol

• tracefloyd
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

For landscaping ideas regarding the slope, is there more yard? We can only render the front door area for you. More photos of the whole house and yard would be helpful to determine the best way to mitigate the slope...or even enhance it maybe?

• Kari Chandler
    Original Author
    12 days ago

I will take one and post in a little bit. The house is is at the end of a dead end road in the country. We bought for the location, a place our children and pets can play without worry!

• Kari Chandler
    Original Author
    12 days ago

This pic is taken from the road

• nester44
    12 days ago

You need a new door and a walkway from the street and driveway to front steps. Rework the entry itself -- there should be a large landing directly in front of the door, at the level of the door sill. Then make new steps from there down to the level of the walkway. Right now, the front door does not have a large enough, safe landing area immediately in front of the door; it just has a single step (or two?) directly down from the door sill and a landing below that-- not good.

• tracefloyd
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Nice. It makes sense to have taller foundation plantings on the left and shorter ones on the right. The window ledges are all the same height so use those for reference.

Choose plants by their mature height of the ledges and that will emphasize the level line of the house.

I like this more formal landscape look for an MCM house:

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    12 days ago

The missing steps & wallway should be addressed.

Add wall light fixtures, planters and foundation plantings.

• tracefloyd
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

You could have planting beds of flowers along the front door wall.

And then a mixed planting bed of different heights on the right recessed portion of the front facade.

A large rounded planting area on the left including much larger plants and a small tree to give a sense of enclosure from the porch...not so open.

And a hedge to block the view of the parking from the road.