Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bb_ww

Help with layout for foyer and dining room

Parker WW
10 days ago
last modified: 10 days ago

Entry door opens to the dining room. And I am finding a hard time finding a layout so that I can put a mirror and a small table perhaps beside the main door.

I do not have a dining table yet as I can’t decide on the shape and size of dining table that will be appropriate for the space. Leaning towards a six seater, if that fits. Any thoughts?

But, I already have a sideboard that I want to put in the dining room, just not sure on which wall. It is 5ft wide and 20” deep.

Any help is appreciated :)

Comments (16)

• apple_pie_order
    10 days ago

It is much more common for the front door to open into the living room that the dining room. You can switch the current living room and dining room designations. Map out the paths that the family's normal traffic will take through the house so you will know where furniture should leave wide aisles for walking. Will the family enter by the front door or the garage door?

If you would like comments on size of the dining room table, post a floor plan with measurements.

• auntthelma
    10 days ago

I was going to say the same thing. Would it makee sense to use the front room as the living room and the room by the kitchen as the dining room?

• claire larece
    10 days ago

what is the dimensions of this foyer/dining

• Parker WW
    Original Author
    10 days ago

That’s what I thought too. This house has a very strange floor plan but this is what we can afford for now. I could move the living room in the front but my husband works in the office so TV (or kids, there is no play room) might be too loud.

This is the floor plan, sorry forgot to attach in the post.

• Tara
    10 days ago

Make that front room the living room and put a door on the office.

• Parker WW
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Making the front t room the living room is not an option at the moment - too small a space for my sofa plus my kids toys. Also there is no cable outlet in the dining room. There’s a door in the office though.

• Parker WW
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Hi apple, thanks for your input. We usually enter the garage door.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 days ago

Your sideboard is too small for the room

The room needs an 8x10 rug

This set would work great in your room.

Some type of demilune table would work great for the foyer/entry.

• Parker WW
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Wow! Thank you so much for helping me visualize the potential of this entry/room.

• Parker WW
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thank you again, Beverly. Do you think I could put the mirror and the demilune table beside the Entry Door? I am just worried there might not be enough space in the hallway as it is only 39” wide. I added the measurements in blue arrows on the floor plan.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 days ago

Decide on the dining table chairs, rug & sideboard first ..........and then see if there's still room

Plenty of very narrow console tables less than 12" deep.

• k8cd
    10 days ago

If you enter through the garage door, do you need an entryway table?

I actually like this layout. Our living room is always messier than the dining room, so this layout is great in case unexpected guests stop by. And sounds like it works better for your family in terms of work and play.

Beverly is a pro so she knows more about proportion. But if you really want to keep your sideboard, try flanking it with extra dining chairs to give it a bigger presence. Worth a try!

• Parker WW
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Thank you, Beverly! I’ll take your advice to decide on the tables and chairs first.

• Parker WW
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Great idea on flanking the sideboard with chairs. Appreciate that, k8cd!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 days ago

I need a to scale floor plan nothing in it All windows, doorways and where those lead All spac enamed every measurement clearly marked posted her in jpeg format on graph paper ina comment . DO NOT start another post all on this suject dealt with here in comments .

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 days ago

Patricia there is a floor plan with dimensions.