Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martina_purciello

Ranch House Exterior Design help!

Mvprc26
15 days ago

We’re currently in the process of renovating our interior home which includes the entry door, sidelights and need some design ideas and support! Next year we’re going to renovate the exterior of the house and would love to have a plan forward.

Love the home but the exterior looks very flat and bland since there isn’t any vertical dimensions to the home. We were thinking of adding a gable to the entry to add some depth to the house.

The first two images are how it currently looks. The last two,
I edited a clean version without the current boarding from the renovation. There will be two windows on the right side of the door.

I do love that modern farmhouse look. Need help with siding front porch/gable additions, color, trim, windows, and door color. Initially thinking black door. Any help would be very much appreciated! 🙏🏼

Comments (14)

• acm
    14 days ago

I think most of this is a matter for landscaping, not fussy changes to the architecture. Give me a minute to mock something up.

• acm
    14 days ago

Something along these lines. You have a ranch, not a farmhouse, so learn to love what it has to offer!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    14 days ago

MCM is all about simple lines I like the stone on the house so IMO use a color from the stone for the siding color The fron door IMO is not MCM only ythe side lights are . I do not like gables on MCM homes but a nice flat

overhang is ideal over an entry door Landscaping is where you really can play up the MCM style of the house This is one of my fave for inspiration the color of the siding , the style of the door anf garage doors are all MCM ideal The landscaping simple , easy care and a real eye catcher .Note the type of overhang over the door . It would be nice to have larger windows on the front of the house too.

• dan1888
    14 days ago

A combination of berm based landscaping with evergreens and groundcover/bushes to create an enclosed feeling with enlarged windows to view the many options that landscaping creates. Perennials, hibiscus, hydrangea, roses are some ideas. There is a long expanse of lawn. You can add landscaping across the front we don't see to enhance your enjoyment when looking out. The money necessary to give the house architectural presence with gables and a higher 6/12 roof, I'd spend a fraction of that for your own benefit.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    14 days ago

I agree with changing the paint color of the house to be more in keeping with the stone. I'd put up some modern latticework in that blank corner and get some climbing vines/flowers planted.

Vertical garden with Ina Wall Trellis by Terra Trellis · More Info

The other option would be to do a green wall in that space:

Green Walls · More Info

Rittenhouse Courtyard · More Info

• PRO
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Or go with porch overhang

• palimpsest
    14 days ago

Is enlarging any of the windows in the plans?

It's often not that difficult to make a window Longer if you keep the same width and lintel height. I am assuming that at least the far left window is a bedroom, and it would certainly make that bedroom safer if the window provided a means of egress.

A front facing gable would have to have a shallow peak and be kind of broad to be in keeping with the pitch of the existing roof.

As bland as the house may seem, the shape is distinctly contemporary ranch with that long shed roof over the garage, and that defines what the house is. I think it would be easier and better to make it a nice version of what it is. "Modern Farmhouse" is very vertical. That's not something that can happen here without completely rebuilding the house.

• Mvprc26
    Original Author
    14 days ago

The 2 right windows can’t go any longer since those are above the kitchen counter, but yes! The two windows to the left closest to the door are bathroom windows and the last is a bedroom so we can definitely expand those!

• PRO
    14 days ago

yes for longer windows

• PRO
    14 days ago

or easy-peasy, just with frame décor

• ocotillaks
    13 days ago

Regrade the front, and widen front door.

Something to think about:

Paramedics will have a hard time removing someone on a gurney.

• blubird
    13 days ago

Where I live, code would require some sort of railing around your front ”porch”, as it looks to be pretty high off ground level.