Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_954691394

Which floor plan would you pick??

HU-954691394
12 days ago

Hi! Working on a new build and thinking of changing my first floor’s floor plan. Ive been sketching out the plan with furniture on graph paper. I currently have it set up as in the first picture with a separate breakfast nook type of area for our dining table (will not have a separate dining room) with large windows on each of the three walls which would be very pretty and like the idea of a designated sunny spot. However it leads for ~10 ft of open space between couch and kitchen island and worried will look awkward. Hence the second drawing where we could nix the breakfast nook and put the table between the couch and island. I would then switch the sliding door to the middle (definitely more functional) and make the breakfast room area a covered deck. My main concern is do i have enough room around the dining table?? Help please!

Comments (26)

• HU-954691394
    Original Author
    12 days ago

A few other details - Overall dimensions: From fireplace to back kitchen wall is ~41’ and length of living/kitchen is ~ 20’. Breakfast room is currently 13’11” x 9’. Back of house faces north. Thanks!!

• bpath
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

How many people are usually eating there together? and how much do you entertain? Will youngsters be living in the house?

Regardless, having the nook gives you options. It can have the dining table, and leaving nice open space for moving about or play, and room to use the island for serving or buffet, or moving the sofa back if needed, and having room to rotate the table and extend into the open space if you have a lot of people eating over. Or, the dining table can go in the open space and the nook can be an away sitting space, or (as my friend did), the Lego and play space. I think the nook gives you more flexibility, options, and elbow room.

• HU-954691394
    Original Author
    12 days ago

thanks for the input. We are a family of 5 with 3 small children. We entertain or have family over somewhat often.

• JP L
    12 days ago

If that is your only dining space, why is your butler's pantry on the opposite side of the kitchen? In a completely open plan like this, how are you intending to utilize a butler's pantry?

• Boxerpal
    12 days ago

I think you 2nd drawing looks more functional. We had a breakfast nook in our old house and almost never used it. Our current home has a breakfast nook that is big enough to be a separate dining area adjacent to the kitchen, but some how everyone winds up on the island. My kids are adults no little ones in this house.

• HU-954691394
    Original Author
    12 days ago

JP L - the butlers pantry walks through to a formal dining room however we were planning on using it as a sitting room /kids playroom at least while my kids are small.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    12 days ago

And what about when your kids are big?

• Jenny
    12 days ago

I would definitely prefer the first layout. First, the room with windows on three sides would be my favorite room in the house. Second, I think with your busy family that your island should move toward the fireplace a bit to give more than four feet aisle space. Third, that ten foot wide space will be a busy traffic area from the hall into kitchen and living room and won't feel too big in my opinion.

• HU-954691394
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Cubby14 - thanks this is actually almost the same layout which I‘ve been having a really hard time finding pictures of. Is this your house? Do you know how many feet are between the island and couch and how wide the dining space bump out is?

• HU-954691394
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Cubby14 - Is your slider in the family room? How has that been for convenience and furniture layout?

• Molly
    12 days ago

That is nidnay’s kitchen. She has a beautiful home and is very kind with sharing information.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    12 days ago

I'd probably be inclined toward the first option, but the 10 ft. dimension is large. So is the 12 ft. distance from couch to TV. You could solve both problems, and save money, by reducing the side-to-side dimension to about 36 ft.

• rockybird
    12 days ago

I would pick the top one without hesitiation. I have a huge space behind my island. I have a rug there. My dogs play there. It makes the place appear more spacious. I think the table behind the sofa is going to be too cramped I love the photos cubby14 posted of the eatig space surronded by windows.

• T T
    12 days ago

I also like the first option. It will be much more functional and flexible. The 10' spacing between the island and the back of the couch is a bit big. I got out the tape measure and we have 8' spacing, which feels nice to us. I measured out 10' and it almost feels like something else should go there. I would probably put a console table or other furniture behind the couch if you go with option 1. Maybe even some nice furniture that can double as extra storage. We also have 12' between the front of the couch and the TV and that is a good distance for us. It leaves plenty of space in the living room.

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    12 days ago

First option, absolutely! That will especially be good as the children grow.

• cubby14
    12 days ago

Sorry no that’s not my home. As said it is the home of a poster here on design Delimma and I loved and saved here on Houzz.

• HU-954691394
    Original Author
    11 days ago

TT - thanks! what size tv do you have that makes 12’ comfortable?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    11 days ago

Based upon the number of discussions on this design it may be best to start over. Sometimes a design is created to meet certain needs and when those needs change or evolve, changing the design encroaches on the ability of the whole design to meet current needs. Take what you have learned from coming up with this design to create a better design.

• ci_lantro
    11 days ago

I second Mark's suggestion to start over.

Because

the butlers pantry walks through to a formal dining room however we were planning on using it as a sitting room /kids playroom at least while my kids are small.

So, three dedicated dining spaces and the likely reality that not a few meals will be taken in the seating area in front of the fireplace or TV. And the kids will determine their play area, like it or not, and it probably will not be in the isolated formal dining room. More likely they will want to be where the action is, in the heart of the home, the great room.

I'm not fond of the narrow passage thru the pantry to the formal dining area, either. I foresee that as a major bottleneck if/ when that room is used for meals. More so when entertaining & having more bodies milling about.

Suggest observing where your kids play & hang out in your current living space as a predictor for how the new space will be used.

• PRO
    11 days ago

This looks like it’s a mobile home, is it? I may have some other suggestions for your living room layout. First, I’ll build the room from the measurements that you have provided. Then I’ll get back to you with this suggestions. Have a great day.

• res2architect
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

This isn't a floor plan; it's part of a floor plan. Where is the rest of the house?

Don't design parts of a house and expect them to work together.

• PRO
    11 days ago

Here are some pics of the 3D rendition with suggestions for your consideration.

• PRO
    11 days ago

The couch seats 4 people or 5 (with little ones). The chairs are swivel chairs. There is a play area in the upper left corner. The bookcases have bins for storage for toys and so does the TV center with additional seating in between the bookcases/entertainment storage cabinets. Best Wishes and congratulations on your new home.

• Sigrid
    11 days ago

Do you need the island? You might have more room without it.

• T T
    11 days ago

HU, a 75" TV at 12' distance works well, even though some will say you need an 85" at that distance. I would go with 65" minimum, but 75" is probably a sweet spot in terms of cost and size.