Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cchristensenak49

Quartz Countertop issue after 3 attempts to get it right.

Connie Christensen
12 days ago
last modified: 11 days ago

Our countertop saga began in September 2023. The first installation from the kitchen design place turned into a fiasco when they mistakenly ordered rounded corners and a highly curved edge profile, dubbing it the "T edge" according to industry standards. Despite weeks of dispute over whose error it was (our paperwork indicated a standard edge), we eventually received replacements with the correct profiles. However, the installation was a nightmare. The seam was so uneven that anything placed on it would wobble, and there were two different edge profiles on the two slabs that were supposed to match seamlessly.

The kitchen design place vanished when we needed them most, leaving us to deal with the fabricator who installed the countertops. After much persistence, they agreed to replace them, but the outcome wasn't much better. Now, I'm left with a seam that, in my opinion, hasn't been filled correctly, and there's some form of pitting to the right of the seam. It's not just marks; it's actual pitting. Any advice?

Comments (12)

• millworkman
    11 days ago

Have you addressed this seam with the fabricator? Have you addressed the "pitting" with the fabricator? Typically these "pits" would have been filled long before the top made it to your house. At some point you need to cut your loses with these guys if the this has been as bad as described and move on, only you can tell at what point that is

• Connie Christensen
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I've reached out to Daltile several times regarding the pitting issue, but I keep getting redirected to customer service, who advises me to contact the fabricator. Unfortunately, my relationship with the fabricator soured after I posted a one-star review with photos highlighting the 2nd installation issues. Consequently, they are no longer an option for resolving the issue. Both the Kitchen Design center and the fabricator were informed that I wouldn't entertain a fourth visit or replacement. I'm considering pursuing legal action through small claims court, but I wanted to gather other perspectives first. They have suggested that I'm being unrealistic in my expectations. This is from the 2nd install.

• millworkman
    11 days ago

Stop at the Daltile showroom or dealer and escalate the issue.

• HU-910663146
    11 days ago

If you are considering litigation, then be sure to document all your issues in writing. Phone calls are not proof of anything. So instead of calling Daltile, the Kitchen Design Center, and the Fabricator, you should be emailing or texting. If you do call, follow up with an email that describes the conversation so that you have a record. Write down dates and organize.

Your state may have what is called a "Notice and Right to Cure" statute that requires that you provide your contractor with notice and an opportunity to cure the alleged defect prior to initiating litigation. Generally, you must send them this notice 60 days before filing a lawsuit or your lawsuit may be dismissed from court. The "Notice and Right to Cure" doesn't mean that you have to use them to do the repair. Someone else can do the repair, and they would pay for it. This is something that you should research prior to filing in small claims court.

In the meantime, stop the bad reviews on the internet. Depending on what you say in them, they can be used against you should this go to court. While I imagine the reviews can be helpful in getting their attention, as you have found, it also angers those involved in the situation.

• Connie Christensen
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Everything has been via email and I have all documentation. I made sure the review was basic and factual. The photos said it all.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    11 days ago

Connie:

Your seam appears to have been tooled improperly; they've pulled the adhesive from the seam, creating the pits in it. It may be possible to tint some super glue, fill them, and scrape to flush. Otherwise, your seam seems to be within industry standard of acceptability.

The pits appear to be a manufacturing defect or could be fabricator/installer error. You could try the same trick with them.

I've gotten my share of bad reviews in the countertop/sink business. None made me angry. Bad reviews are an opportunity to apologize and/or explain your side of an issue. If any potential customers don't do business with me after reading my response to a poor review, thank goodness as they're not my type of customer and I'm grateful a poor review weeded them out. Beware of any business that has all 5-star reviews; that's just not believeable.

Connie Christensen thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • Connie Christensen
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Joseph Corlett, LLC I've not received one apology or sorry thru this whole mess. I can say that would have eased the tensions/frustration some. Thank you for your advise.

• Connie Christensen
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Miranrdi. No lawyer was ever mentioned to them. I let them have 3 chances to give a quality install/product. It was not till now that I will start the legal action.

• J Sk
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

^^^honest person who really would want to fix the issue, would fix the problem before somebody will finally gets so frustrated to mention or not mention lawyer. Once again, let's blame the customer who got finally frustrated after a few poor attempts to fix the problem. Ridiculous

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 days ago

"This is 100% a fabrication issue, not a manufacturer's issue."

Minardi:

You can't make such a statement from internet pictures. The pits could very well have arrived in the slabs from the manufacturer and the fabricator missed or ignored them. It's kind of moot though because once you touch a slab you own it, according to the manufacturers.

• PRO
    Zumi
    10 days ago

3 FAILED fabrication attempts does say that the issue is the fabricator. Does the money trail go through the kitchen designer or general contractor? That’s a pressure point. If paid direct, dispute the charges.