Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micterate

Gutters or Metal Diverters?

Shazia
16 days ago

We had metal diverters on our roof above our pool equipment and hvac units. In a recent hail storm, they flew off. I’m wondering if we go ahead and get gutters around the house or if we just replace the metal diverters that were there.

The reason gutters is a possibility now is because I’m noticing areas of our house where the water is flooding and pooling in areas (especially in corners) and I want to get ahead of any future issues.

Would appreciate your expertise on this, thanks!

Comments (6)

• Shazia
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Additional photos

• millworkman
    15 days ago

Definitely get gutters.

• Susan W
    15 days ago

They just started the project yesterday and are finishing today so I don't have pictures yet, but I can't stress strongly enough how much I think you should get gutters!

My husband had to convince me (I was very frightened of messing up the look of our beautiful, expensive, full-house renovation) and now I am thrilled that he insisted.

I'll post pictures later, but in the meantime I strongly suggest you go for the gutters.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    15 days ago

Diverters work great in short sections to break up a strong stream of water or divert water away from a wall. Any more than that and they concentrate water to one area in a light rain and in heavy rains the water rolls over them. I had one client where we had to replace all of their fascia because they had multiple lengths of diverters and the fascia was rotted at each one.

• 3onthetree
    15 days ago

A diverter is just an 'L' shape of metal, where one leg is stuck up under a shingle and nailed. It is put at an angle to divert most of the water to the side of where you are trying to block below it. It should be solidly fastened.

A splash guard would attach to the outer edge of a gutter, and prevent fast-moving water from flowing past the top of the gutter trough and over the side. If this were put on the edge of a roof without a gutter, it would cause water to backup under the shingles and rot out the sheathing, fascia, and soffit.

In your case, water is falling on the ground. It is splashing up and the bricks are "soaking" up extra water. It is causing the grade to settle faster. And the diverters would have been creating a larger point load of water which is worse where it dumps. You can see where the condensers are shading the wall/not allowing as much airflow behind them, allowing the brick wall to stay moist. Wetness invites mold on organic matter that has splashed up or resides within the wall, you can see blackness on the foundation.

Gutters are your friend. As is a discharge at least 10' away from the house.

Also, in your other pics you need a kickout flashing above the window and the little roof next to the 2nd floor above there. A point load of water is running down the roof+wall, then running down the brick header over the wall and back under the window head, in addition to allowing the brick to absorb a higher amount of water. Above there it is running down the wall and getting back under the drip edge and rotting the fascia. You may also need a kickout to the right of the entry portico, can't tell from the tiny pic.

You can also see the siding/trim rotting against the roof. It is too close. It should be held off the roof about 2" or so, enough to cover the flashing leg underneath it but far enough off the roof surface.

• Shazia
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thank you all! We will get gutters! That’s an easy answer.

Now next question please…are there options for gutters that are aesthetically nicer? Not sure if there’s been any updates in style.

@3onthetree I will study your comment as I need to spend some time to understand it. Thank you so much good taking the time to write that out!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths