Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbrown1025

What are these countertop spots?

tbrown1025
16 days ago

We just had our master bath remodeled which included a new vanity. I noticed today, after wiping the countertops (with a damp rag to remove remodeling dust/debris), that there are spots that will not wipe away. They seem to be under some sort of finish. I have not used any chemical cleaners..we have not used the master bathroom at all as it was just complete today.
Any idea what this? I plan to ask the remodel crew tomorrow as well.

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    15 days ago

Looks like orange peel to me.

• tbrown1025
    Original Author
    15 days ago

It's not textured/rough/bumpy..it's smooth and almost looks like it's under a finish.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    15 days ago

It may be natural.

• PRO
    Zumi
    15 days ago

Light etching from acidic water.

• millworkman
    15 days ago

What material are the tops?

• tbrown1025
    Original Author
    15 days ago

The tops are a man-made quartz. It's not a natural stone.

• dani_m08
    12 days ago

Are you positive that it’s not marble? If it’s quarz - what brand/ name of quartz is it? It looks just like my real marble countertops - and the photos look like pits in the surface of the stone (i have a few - not big groups of them) OR it looks like it’s residue from a sealer.

Will you take a photo stepped back from the countertop so I can see more of it? I’d like to see as much of it in one shot as possible + one just a bit farther away than the close up photos.

We should be able to figure this out!

• tbrown1025
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Remodeling crew said it was man-made, not natural stone. From further away, the spots cannot be seen. They are noticeable in certain lighting and angles and especially looking from above.

I'll try to grab a few more photos but it's not easily captured unless you're looking at it from straight above.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    12 days ago

It is oily spots, they disappearing after soap washing.

• vinmarks
    12 days ago

You remodeled your bathroom and don’t know what your countertops are?

• tbrown1025
    Original Author
    11 days ago

The spots do NOT wash or wipe away. Yes, I know what the countertops are. I didn't remember at the time I posted this. As I have said several times, these are an engineered quartz.

• tbrown1025
    Original Author
    11 days ago

From further away...

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    11 days ago

Looks to me like the normal "snakeskin" engineered stone pattern.

• chispa
    11 days ago

We have well water for outdoor sprinklers and if it hits your car and you let it dry, your car paint will look just like that and it is hard to clean off. If you don't wash your car the next day and it bakes in the sun for a few days, it will permanently "etch" your car paint.

It looks like your slabs got splashed with something similar to my well water. Has anyone tried acetone to clean them?

• dani_m08
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

That is the most realistic looking faux marble quartz that I have ever seen - and I’ve looked at A LOT of quartz (+ quartzite + porcelain+ etc.) that looks like marble because I’ve been nervous about using real Calacatta marble in my kitchen.

I’ve also looked at a ton of marble tiles for my master bathroom - so, I was pretty ”fixated” on Carrara marble for awhile. I was very picky when selecting which tiles to install prior to having my tile installer come over to work on my bathroom.

Will you please find out who the manufacturer is and what the name is of that countertop for me? While I still want Calacatta for my kitchen, I would like to use the same countertop for my master bathroom. I would really appreciate it!

I will be home tomorrow - I will show you photos of my real carrara marble countertop - and how I have places that look exactly like the areas of concern that you are showing in your photos (only when I look at it directly from above).

I also will talk with my fabricator and show him your photos - he is extremely knowledgeable re: all types of countertop materials (as are many pros on here - especially Joseph Corlett - based upon many comments he has posted providing advice/information for other Houzz users). I think he’d be good to use as another “set of eyes” on your problem areas.

I am very interested in learning the exact quartz that was installed - and am also happy to try to find an answer for you!

It looks like you are going to have a very pretty bathroom when it’s finished!

• vinmarks
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

What is the name of this quartz?