Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
espook

Brick ranch curb appeal - help

espook
14 days ago

Hi! I'm hoping to replace our windows and paint trim/soffits, etc. this year. What color would you recommend for windows/trim? And would you recommend window grids or no? My personal style is traditional, not modern, but I don't think white windows are necessarily the way to go. I also don't want to paint the brick.

And yes I know our azaleas are out of control... we're considering replacing the landscaping but for now please help with window and paint choices! Thank you!

Comments (8)

• millworkman
    14 days ago

Dark Bronze windows and paint the trim Urbane Bronze. Front door should be a brighter color.

• PRO
    PPF.
    14 days ago

When is your roof due for replacement? Color wise, it's the only thing that looks off.

• cat_ky
    14 days ago

I love the azaela's. So pretty when they are blooming. I agree, house looks great, but, the roof would look better a charcoal, or similar color. No grids in the windows for your style home.

• PRO
    lisedv
    14 days ago

A lovely house, beautiful blooms in a beautiful setting!

If it was my house, I would go with black windows white frames and trim, they're fine with the existing roof and if you need to replace the roof I would go with a charcoal colour.

• Debbie Downer
    14 days ago

I think your house already has immense appeal, and agree that the dark bronze (or any dark) is the way to go with your windows+ trim (should be same- skinny trim not worth emphasizing imho). Re the landscaping, that IMHO is just a matter of taste - I myself like the lush overgrown look while others prefer very manicured. The main concern of course is that branches not be touching or too close to the house so as to not trap moisture or be pathway for insects and other critters.

• marmiegard_z7b
    13 days ago

The azaleas can take hard pruning, but if some of them are the big old Indicas, they wants to be what they wants to be, and will put out a little of new growth and be a big ongoing pruning job if they are in a place that doesn’t any big. As in a lot of old landscapes where they were planted right by the foundations. Ask me how I know. And I’m a huge azalea fan & have many.

But hard pruning could be what you do while painting & working on house and trying to decide & learn what’s the sun exposure. Just saying that if they’re blocking windows, I’d at some point be taking out a giant one even if replacing with more but smaller azalea types. Plus you might want different colors for the brick and your evolving color scheme. But if there’re mature big ones where they work well, yeah, keep what you can, since they’re happy.

• Sigrid
    13 days ago

The azaleas are fabulous. Gorgeous. Wonderful. They can be pruned. If you absolutely want to remove them, transplant them somewhere. If I thought you lived near me, I'd rush on over and dig them up for you.

• espook
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you, all! So it sounds like the consensus is bronze windows and trim, no window grids.

Do I keep the gutters/ soffits white? And should we keep or remove the shutters?