Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dede_wu68

Can I paint my kitchen/bathroom wall instead of using tile?

Dede WU
13 days ago
last modified: 13 days ago

Hello everyone,

I recently discovered that certain types of paint products are specifically designed for use in the kitchen area. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried using them on their kitchen walls instead of tiles. Have you found it to be a good idea?

Thank you all for your generosity in sharing your experiences and insights! I have one more question: has anyone ever used paint in their bathroom, especially in the wet zone, instead of tiles? Were there any issues?

Comments (17)

• Paula
    13 days ago

I am not a big kitchen tile fan, so I have pretty much always painted. In my first house, I used Behr kitchen and bath. This house has had Behr (paint+primer) then a faux tile look (amazingly realistic!l using PPG high gloss and craft paint for the "grout". It would still have that but I had a flood in my kitchen so major renovation. I now have Sherwin Williams Emerald trim paint in satin. They have all done well and cleaned up with a damp soapy rag, so no complaints here.

Try It! It is fun, generally inexpensive, and will let you live with a bit before really deciding.

Dede WU thanked Paula
  • cat_ky
    13 days ago

I have had several houses through out the years, that had no tile on the walls. Its always been paint, and because, years ago, most people used semi gloss or satin on kitchen walls, thats what went on all the walls. It was never a problem. In fact, it probably is easier to keep clean than tile is.

• rwiegand
    13 days ago

Of course, it's your house. Pick a washable paint and you'll be fine.

• AnnKH
    13 days ago

i stenciled the backsplash in our last kitchen.

• ilikefriday
    13 days ago

It is fine to use paint instead of tile. My backsplash is painted and I have had no issues.

Dede WU thanked ilikefriday
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    13 days ago

Of course.

• tracefloyd
    13 days ago

All major paint brands are washable now so don't worry about formulations. Ask for "Latex Enamel Semi-Gloss".

Unless something is wrong with the surface, or it is unpainted drywall, no need to use primer, just wash the walls and let them dry.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    13 days ago

I don't even use semi gloss because I don't care for the sheen. As stated above, any washable paint will do.

• tracefloyd
    13 days ago

True, semi gloss is not needed. Less sheen is called satin and just tad of sheen is called eggshell, no sheen is called flat or matte. Just get Latex Enamel paint in kitchen or bath.

• bpath
    13 days ago

Paint for sure. and much easier to change when you are ready for something new. I’ve also had scrubbable vinyl wallpaper for a backsplash, very durable.

• kculbers
    13 days ago

When I had my kitchen and bathrooms renovated a few years ago, I chose a 4” backsplash (no tile) in the kitchen and for both bathroom vanities. All walls were painted with Behr’s matte Scrubable Ultra Paint and Primer. I cook from scratch daily, and almost never get anything on my kitchen walls, and if I do, it washes off easily with water and a pinch of dish soap. I love Behr paint!!!

• grapefruit1_ar
    13 days ago

I am 73 years old and have never lived in a home with a tile backsplash. That was my preference. There have been no issues keeping the walls clean.

• vinmarks
    13 days ago

We didn’t use tile. We just have the 4 inch splash. Our home is a log cabin so the walls are log. You do not need to use tile. Paint is fine.

• Kendrah
    13 days ago

I don't have tiles. My splash is painted with eggshell and it cleans very nicely. So much easier than tile.

• Tish
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Paint is not a waterproof coating and can not be used in a shower as a substitute for a waterproofing system and a decorative surface (tile or other) on top of the waterproofing system. Gypsum board of any type is prohibited in wet areas, no matter what is placed on top of it.

• ilikefriday
    12 days ago

I have paint in my kitchen instead of tiles and as I commented above, it is fine. I just saw the portion of your question regarding the bathroom. I have tile in my shower area that I hate. 8 or 9 years ago I placed a large piece of art over the tile that covers the entire wall. It does get wet and the shower is used daily. I have not had any problems with this setup. I would not use paint instead of tile in the shower. Mine is tile with painted canvas over it and the paint is oil mixed with wax, which repels water.