Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_923602541

Kitchen design help!

HU-923602541
15 days ago

We just bought a new home and are redoing the kitchen. We're planning to demo the wall between the existing kitchen and dining room to create a more open floor plan. We can't seem to get the kitchen design right though. Specifically running into problems around:

- Where do we put the refrigerator?

- Where do we put the range?

- Should we do pantry style cabinets or build a pantry?

- How should we use the space in front of the bay windows?

- We don't have a triangle and don't know how to make one in this space

- The space on either side of the island doesn't feel well utilized

We're doing a full gut renovation of the kitchen so anything can change. We have a healthy but not extravagant budget. We love to cook and the main thing we care about is making the kitchen functional and fun to use. Any advice would be so much appreciated!!!

Comments (19)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Please take the EXISTING kitchen to graph paper, along with surrounding areas, and put an exact foot and inch dimension to every single wall and window and opening and passage. Note the elevation of windows from the floor as well.

Not your plan.........the existing condition. All

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

I don't love anything.......: ) lol Bay windows are always a killer

Maybe reverse here, fridge and range......

the darn thing is just too narrow, I'd want nothing in the way of appliance or water on the island....which in all honesty is a bit of a squeeze no matter what.

Yes, I took two feet from the existing"living room. Left the mud entry alone. You only need 30/ 36 inches to get into the dining room.

I just don't love the left side on your plan feeling like a leftover!

• arcy_gw
    13 days ago

What's the plan for the empty space to the left of your drawings? Seems hugely wasted space. Not sure where this wall you are taking down was (is) but not all open floor plans are equal. The sink in the island is a bad idea. No one wants to sit near a sink...so if you are trying for seating for four you don't have it.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    13 days ago

Waiting for the plan .

• HU-923602541
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Adding the existing kitchen plan — sorry for the delay!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    12 days ago

IMO all walkways need a min. 42" and in front of the range and fridge 48" is the range in the island / That IMO is avery bad idea. No corner pantry they are a waste od space . All the base cabinets should be drawers .We need to know what the spaces are around this space and also we need the floor plan to scale of the new plan the old one is useless . Post the floor plan of the new space on graph paper nothing in it. All the measurements clearly marked all windows and doorways and where those lead . I will say bigger is not always better in kitchens so be careful about that. So post here in jpeg format in a comment just like you did . Then wait for some good ideas from actual kitchen designers not cabinet salespeople .

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago

Did you play with this idea?? No?

Your whole plan is unbalanced

• HU-923602541
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Thanks! Yes see below. We really want to keep the window above the existing sink if we can. I flipped the range to the far wall, kept the sink, and moved the fridge down next to the pantry cabinets. What do you think?

• HU-432451269
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Ditch the bay window. Which one ends up as your dining room with the bay, and which one ends up without it, as the kitchen, is up to you. And no one needs 3 eating areas within close proximity of each other. Split the space into a dining, a true butler’s pantry, and a kitchen, with some perching stools.

This is a VERY expensive project to tackle. You should be personally working with a good kitchen designer.

• rebunky
    12 days ago

Here is take on Jan’s great idea of moving the kitchen into the dining room space. I kept the windows the same.

I noticed you had two dishwashers, so I put one by the main sink and one on the island. The size of the prep sink, trash, and cabinet can be whatever you like. You could add another trash by the main sink or put one under the sink if you want.

Your graph paper drawing has the width of the room as 164”. The other one said 162+”. I assumed the 164” was correct. I am terrible at math, but here goes…

25.5 perimeter cabs with 1.5” countertop overhang

+ 48” isle

+ 25.5 island cabs with 1.5” overhang

+ 15” seating overhang

+ .5 decorative panel on back of island

+ 49 walkway between island countertop and pantry

= 164” (Hopefully it is close enough. 😬😵‍💫)

The real space of the isles is measured from countertop overhang to whatever sticks out the most. For example, it would be less then 48” in front of the fridge even without handles. A counter depth sticks out several inches passed the countertop. You really need a counter depth fridge. A full depth fridge would be make the isle very tight in front of it.

The isle in front of the range can be 48” or even more if you like. The island can move down further towards the dining room. You have the room to play with the island configuration and size.

I think you had a 48” range in the plan. I put a 54” hood above. Depending on the style hood you want, the wall cabinet sizes can be played with. If it is going to be a stand alone “statement” hood, it is nice to leave empty wall space between the hood and the upper cabinets. I was envisioning sconces flanking the hood because I think it would look pretty. 🥰

• HU-923602541
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you! Love this design. One part that we're struggling with is that if we put the fridge on the wall with the windows then we will only be able to put one cabinet on that wall. We'd love to have more cabinets on that wall both for aesthetics and for functionality. Do you think having the fridge on the pantry wall will be a problem?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Riff!!!

"We're planning to demo the wall between the existing kitchen and dining room to create a more open floor plan."

"Open" for the sake of open is.............? You'd have a kitchen with a big window two bays above. It isn't a light issue, that much is certain.!!

The more window? The fewer upper cabs.

"We'd love to have more cabinets on that wall both for aesthetics and for functionality."

Upper cabs are good for.........? Actually not much. Oversized spices or oils, stemware, coffee mugs, and glass ware.

Guess what? Most of that is GREAT in drawers.

Up above, I gave you the "use the left side" plan......What you didn't notice? I took two feet from your dining room. Meaning it would reduced to 12 x 12'10 from 12 x 14' 10 "

Below...... riff on what Rebunky just gave you. You are going to have to pick a poison, You either mess with exterior, shrink a window, lose a window, or move a wall....or live with asymmetry, or live with inconvenient use. I would add that

Drawers, drawers , drawers,,,,,,: ) are better than uppers for virtually anything.

It isn't a perfect size, it has window challenges, and you have to decide and reconcile the beauty and function, focal point issues.....you eat in the dining room, HOW often?

• HU-923602541
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Love love love the idea of stealing space from the dining room and moving the fridge over. How much room do you need around a dining room table? Trying to get a sense for how big of a table we could fit in the dining room if we reduce the room to 12’ x 12’10”

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Square ish rooms look fantastic with round dining tables,

You can easily fit a 60 inch diameter table. It will very COMFORTABLY seat seven/ eight chairs depending

A 42 x 96 rectangle in the long direction ( 154" ) will give you a very comfortable max of ten.

Room to move around either size in that space, and room for serving console /buffet etc

This is yours.....at reduced length and even a 72" diam will work.

That said?: )

• rebunky
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

That is great that you can push the dining room wall back! I fixed the plan to add Jan’s changes. Looks good!

I did prefer the fridge on the window wall for functional reasons. But, esthetically, I definitely prefer Jan’s location.

I liked my location because it was a short, straight shot to both the main and the prep sink. I like the flow better. For example, if you like prepping on the island, having the fridge on the wall behind you is more convenient then having to go around the corner of the island. A couple other things: It is closer to the microwave for nuking leftovers or frozen foods and close access to ice near the beverage station.

On the other hand, Jan’s location is closer to the range making it easy to grab an ingredient to add to the pot. It is easy access to the formal dining room. It would give you somewhere to add the wall cabinets you wanted on that side. And obviously it is more esthetically pleasing to tuck the fridge out of sight instead of front and center on a main focal wall. I think a built in style fridge with paneled doors to make it look like cabinetry would look fine though. It really boils down to what functions for the way you work in the kitchen, as well as, what will make you do your happy dance every time you walk into your kitchen! 😍

You asked about putting the fridge where the pantries are. That is not a great location due to how far it is to the main sink and you must go around a barrier island to get to the two sinks. It is pretty far from the range as well. The closest landing spot would be the island which will be blocked if people are sitting there. I think that is a nice location for a clean row of tall pantries.

Here is Jan’s fridge location and bumped out wall. You’ll notice I changed a few other things. I also had an idea for storage on the wall between the windows. Let me know what you think.

I wondered if changing the cabinet on the island to open towards the range would be a good idea? It would give a nice stopping point for the seating overhang. Maybe use it for pots and pans? I then moved the large dish drawer from the island to the perimeter. Easy to unload DW to dish drawer on the side. I have dish drawers across on the island and also to the side of my DW. I actually prefer unloading side by side.

For upper storage on the window wall, what about doing a pretty glass cabinet between the windows? It could sit on top of the countertop or not. Similar to the photos below (but I wouldn’t crowd the windows). Leave more wall space to the window. If you don’t like glass fronts, you could do solid doors. Or you could store small appliances like coffee maker, grinder, or whatever else so they are hidden behind the doors. Put outlets inside so you can slide them forward to use but stay plugged in. Jan’s idea of Art or a TV that looks like framed art would be beautiful on that wall as well. I have The Frame TV by Samsung and I love it! I can change up the ”artwork” to suit my mood. Although, maybe you planned a TV in the family room? Whatever you decide, I am sure it will be amazing! 🤩😍

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago

I think you have a really good !!!! head start here,

And what else?

Needing only to be firm on appliances - and a thorough thinking through of need vs. would be nice.

"We love to cook and the main thing we care about is making the kitchen functional and fun to use."

"We have a Healthy BUT NOT EXTRAVAGANT" budget"

Things I would ask myself : )

Can we make great meals on a 36" range, because 48" takes you into a 54 inch hood, and more money and make up air...or open windows.

The oven issue: This is becoming a big thing question , unless you are a serious baker.

I hear stories every day. "Hardly use it!" "I loooove my air fryer!! and we grill outside!"

The 2 dishwasher/s: This can be heaven or it can be pure hell. Why? It's a habit and organizing issue. You'll either always have one clean, empty and ready, or you will have two loaded, not run or not emptied....and a ton of crap in the sink! Personally, I'd also want trash at the big clean up sink - bones, fat scraps , pasta- none really a good idea in the disposal.

In the end these are things only you can decide, and DON'T make decisions on a fantasy life in the kitchen. Use real life, real eating preferences and real entertaining or you will find healthy won't cover it- and you WILL need extravagant $$$

Neither Rebunky or I used the wall opposite the breakfast table. You certainly can, even at 24" depth - but again....Kaching! for a Keurig coffee bar, move beverage fridge there and skip the water!

I'd get thee to the in person appliance shop and to me? Cook is up to you . I'd call cooling Sub Zero as definite, with no regrets ever.

I'm firm on fridge/ dining wall push - if you think as you cook? You aren't in out in out in out of that appliance: )

The window BETWEEN bays, and the appliances, are your drivers of the kitchen bus, and then it is dollars.

Also - if you truly want/need a full depth fridge? The extra inches won't kill the dining room, especially with a round table.

• HU-923602541
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thank you!!! Love these ideas. Meeting with our contractor today and will discuss with him and report back.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago

Get a GREAT KD to go with the contractor. He is your technician. Don't make him design.....he executes what you and the KD specify: ) and nothing can be absolutely specific, until you are 100% firm regarding appliances. Size, specs...all.

Have fun and good luck!