Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_227031627

Granite veining direction on countertop "L"

HU-227031627
14 days ago

I am remodeling my kitchen. I will be installing Magma Gold granite on the island and perimeter counters as well as using it for the backsplash underneath the wall cabinets on the wall labeled “A” (other walls will be painted). As you can see, this granite has a lot of veining.

My plan is to install the granite with the veins running horizontally—that is, the direction as shown in the picture of the two slabs. The veining would run parallel to the island.

Where I am seeking advice is “how” to run the granite on the "B" countertop section of the "L". My fabricator wants to run the veining all the same direction instead of having the veining of the “B” countertop running perpendicular to the veining of the "A" wall countertop.

Is my fabricator’s approach the correct way to lay out the granite?

Comments (13)

• Design Fan
    14 days ago

Running it all in one direction as your installer wants to do gives you multiple seams on the ”B” counter, correct?

Is the slab long enough for ”B” without a mid-counter seam?

• Boxerpal
    14 days ago

Your marble slabs are beautiful, lots of movement. I agree with your fabricator. Imagine wall paper. If you were to take wallpaper and have some going vertical and some horizonal it would look super busy. Going in the same direction even if you need to use more slabs would be more soothing. Repeats are calming. Notice these busy granites and how they work

Westlake Modern Estate · More Info

Kitchen examples · More Info

Titanium Granite Kitchen · More Info

Typhoon Bordeaux Granite with Full Backsplash · More Info

• PRO
    Arden Hills Estates
    14 days ago

It's just going to be what it is...no way around it. Unless you use like 4 slabs all from the same bundle. The "pro" designer neglected to see the dimensions. Too long of a run do what she exampled

• Jane
    13 days ago

just to be sure…

you want the veining run along the counters then up the backsplash -landscape for lack of a better word, and then your island is a different stone?

your not wrong and it will be stunning.

but might not have enough to do it with two slabs.. quick math you need three.

especially if you want the corner mitered

i

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    13 days ago

The fabricator is correct; visually everything flows the same direction. One side of the counter will always be off when looking at the island. Too bad the island was not designed length wise the other way; the range wall is more cut up and the vein direction would not have been as noticeable.

• chicagoans
    13 days ago

I agree with Skippack: if your island were rotated 90*, your veining could run the long way on the island and on your window wall. In addition, island seating would have a nice view out the window. (However I’m looking at this on my phone so don’t have a great sense of how that would affect your function.)

• chicagoans
    13 days ago

ETA great looking stone! I’m glad you’re being thoughtful about how it’s installed.

• HU-910663146
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Thank you all for the advice! I got the granite from MSI, Chicagoans, thanks for your suggestion! I also visited Global and United, as you recommended. All three places had beautiful slabs and much greater selections than any of the local fabricators. Well worth the drive!

I reserved 3 slabs--the picture only shows 2. The island will be done in the same stone.

Turning the island 90 degrees is a nice suggestion, but the view looking into the kitchen facing wall A is the view into the room from the attached living room.

Your graphic, Beverly, explains the thought process perfectly. Thank you! Now I understand.

The 3 slabs measure 128" x 78". The fabricator said there would be 2 seams on the countertop for wall B

• chicagoans
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Hey I'm glad the stone yard suggestions worked out! Regarding this: "I reserved 3 slabs..." I'm sure they told you, but MSI will only hold for a week. I lost out on the slabs I held there because (for reasons unknown) my fabricator never took delivery. It turned out to be a blessing because I ended up with different stone, which I love. I just want to make sure you don't lose those gorgeous slabs!

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Wouldn't the best way be to do a 45 degree mitered cut at the corner to match the veins at 90 degrees? So, in essence, you'd run it horizontally in both directions while still maintaining the flow. Almost like a bookmatch, but doing it in the corner.

That might require more material, but it would look the best, IMO.

• PRO
    Minardi
    11 days ago

You don't do 45 degree seams in stone. That's the longest seam possible, with the biggest chance of a mismatch, and lippage at the seam.

What needs to happen is that the perimeter needs to be in a dark gray or black stone, with the striped stone on the island, and maybe backsplash. NOT circus tent stripes everywhere. It's too visually overwhelming. And it may still be too overwhelming with it as the splash. It is a VERY BUSY stone. But it will certainly be too busy with all the stripes everywhere on every counter that exists, and the backsplash.

• HU-910663146
    11 days ago

Thank you Chicagoans for the concern and tip. I did initially have a situation because one local fabricator told me it was OK to go look now even though my cabinets won't arrive until the end of August. I went to look--and had no intention of making a decision--but found something that I love. MSI told me that they would only hold the slabs for a few days. I contacted the local fabricator that told me it was OK, and they backpedaled on holding the slabs. Not cool. I found another fabricator that I like better who is willing to hold the slabs for me (I put down a deposit). So all is good.