Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_621065706

Help with sidelight design

HU-621065706
19 days ago
last modified: 19 days ago

Hi! I am remodeling an old house. I am leaving door in place and going to replace trim. Sidelight needs to be replaced. I can't find a matching decorative sidelight to match glass in door. Any recommendations for sidelight (built-in mini-blinds?, textured glass?, etc)? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments (25)

• millworkman
    19 days ago

Nope. That looks to me to be a fiberglass door & wood sidelite. Actually looking at the inside picture, these are two different systems already. The sidelite and frame is completely separate from the door. I do not think that door ever truly has a matching sidelite. I would get a full length clear glass sidelite. But I would also think long and hard about replacing the entire you as it is obviously quite old and not installed properly

HU-621065706 thanked millworkman
  • grapefruit1_ar
    19 days ago

Your lovely home deserves a much nicer door. As Millworkman mentioned, go for a one piece unit.

HU-621065706 thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • Boxerpal
    19 days ago

can you replace the door? To match the sidelight?

or take the glass out the current door to be plain glass and paint the doors?

HU-621065706 thanked Boxerpal
  • HU-621065706
    Original Author
    19 days ago

I can replace the door if needed (I was hoping to keep something and not have to replace everything lol!). The sidelight definitely needs to be replaced.

• ci_lantro
    19 days ago

I would replace the door, center it in the opening and ditch the sidelight. You can get a wider front door, maybe a 3'6" too, by eliminating the sidelight. With the cedar siding on the exterior, and maybe wider trim, uncomplicated to achieve.

HU-621065706 thanked ci_lantro
  • HU-621065706
    Original Author
    10 days ago

What replacement new door/sidelight combo do you think would look good? Or, should I elimate the sidelight and replace with larger new front door?

• millworkman
    10 days ago

Show a better picture of the entire front of the house, wider door or sidelite will depend on the style of the balance of the elevation.

• HU-621065706
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Needs a lot of work on the outside still lol.

• Boxerpal
    10 days ago

You have a lovely single story ranch with a lot of potential. If you could borrow a power washer or rent one or possibly hire someone to power wash your brick and roof you would see it come out of it's shell. Those big beautiful trees are causing lots to shade and sometimes that shade include pine pitch and dirt.

What is the wood part? On the left side? is it stained? I wonder if you could paint the staircase and the shutters. Could you take a photo of it up close? Wait, I just scrolled up. I see it is a painted brown. I think if you could change the glass in the door to be plain that might work nicely.

Here is a great blog that can give you some simple ideas for your own space.

Shades of Blue Home Exterior makeovers

and another

Checking with Chelsea $200 front porch makeover

Here are some images of similar single story ranches and what they did to update them.

1950's Ranch Exterior Update · More Info

Exterior Renovation in Fairfax, VA · More Info

On your home you could paint your shutters an even lighter color and all the trim too. Paint your front door and the trim around it a

HU-621065706 thanked Boxerpal
  • HU-621065706
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Ok thank you so much! I am finishing the interior remodel then heading to fix up the exterior next. Thanks for the great ideas!

• Muriel Vasconcellos
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

To my mind, it is asymmetrical. Moreover, a light on right is more vulnerable. Once when I was on a trip, a burglar smashed the glass, reached in to unlock the door, and stole thousands of dollars of my belongers, including the jewels that my deceased husband had given me. Insurance only paid 10% on their value.

HU-621065706 thanked Muriel Vasconcellos
  • mrscjpalmer
    8 days ago

Lovely ranch- i agree to get rid of the sidelight - a wider door would look great- check out the Anderson Thermatrue website-

HU-621065706 thanked mrscjpalmer
  • twinmommykaren
    8 days ago

Hi, Your ranch is lovely, but the front door is way too ”fussy” and ornate to go with the style of your home. Either go with a wider door (your structure is wide so the proportion would work well), or find a matched door and sidelight combo that is more current and better complements the design. The money spent on a front door is well worth it, since the door is one of the first impressions visitors have of your home!

HU-621065706 thanked twinmommykaren
  • hollywaterfall
    8 days ago

Go to a salvage yard or a glassworks place and get something custom made to match door if you like that look.

HU-621065706 thanked hollywaterfall
  • superip
    8 days ago

with all the dark brown, it would be great to add a punch of color. A shade of orange would bring out the bit of orange in the brick. You could also go a little more modern, if that's your style. based on a current challenge in my own home, I would recommend a window either in the door, a sidelight or both, otherwise your foyer will feel very dark and closed in.

HU-621065706 thanked superip
  • bonrud
    8 days ago

If really want to save door and sidelight-commission stained glass artist to create matching glass inserts for sidelights.

HU-621065706 thanked bonrud
  • bonrud
    8 days ago

If you really want to save door and sidelight-commission stained glass artist to match glass inserts.

• Dennis Peterson
    8 days ago

Absolutely wrong style of door for the house. About 40 years ago there was a widespread fad to replace plain, but appropriate, front doors on 1950s to 1960s ranch-style houses with this style of door from the late 1800s to early 1900s. Bad move! Replace the entire entry setup with a mid-century or modern door with or without sidelight. I agree with superip’s comment about needing glass to brighten the indoor entry and painting the new door a brighter color to brighten the darkly-stained facade. Your house has much potential.

HU-621065706 thanked Dennis Peterson
  • mbailon
    7 days ago

Whatever color or stain you decide, and I know not spending the add’l dollars helps, but Home Depot has so many wider (with sidelight or not) options to help update that conundrum for you. The sidelight is personal preference, so if you love it, find an option with it. Good luck on your renovations and it’ll be worth it when you’re done😊

HU-621065706 thanked mbailon
  • millworkman
    7 days ago

" check out the Anderson Thermatrue website"

There is no such website as they are two completely different companies and stay away from any box stores.

• T B
    7 days ago

I personally love your door. I was just looking at one exactly like this recently. I think it has so much character. However, painting it wouldn’t hurt. But that glass sidelight is a little too risky for break ins. Add a safety film on it, change it’s design to be safer, or like others said, get an all in one door sidelight combo, or change all to a larger door which is so helpful when moving furniture or appliances into your house. But either way, having light come through your front entrance way is important otherwise it will seem darker, so perhaps a window above your door or opposite side of your door handle, or safety glass in the middle of your door, would be good. .

• Mahesh B
    7 days ago

Nicks building supply has the matching doors which I ordered last year. Check this.

https://www.nicksbuilding.com/Mahogany_Exterior_Doors/Entry_doors_2SL/Wood_Door_2_Sidelights_525_IC.jpg

HU-621065706 thanked Mahesh B
  • Elizabeth Ann
    7 days ago

You have a great mid-centuryhouse with an interesting site, plus the advantage of mature trees. I agree with commenters who have urged you to replace your existing front door with one that enhances the mid-century style of your home. The most useful link I’ve found for considering options is https://retrorenovation.com/2014/07/22/4-places-buy-midcentury-entry-doors-home/ . Everyone can sympathize with your need to keep costs down as you juggle multiple projects inside and out. If a DIY approach suits you, there are a number of articles - and even kits - to use more modest materials to create a mid-century front door, as here: https://makeitmidcentury.com/building-your-new-door-with-a-make-it-mid-century-kit/
    There’s also this post on how to “perfect” your mid-century front door:

https://midmod-midwest.com/midcentury-front-door/

HU-621065706 thanked Elizabeth Ann
  • Elizabeth Ann
    6 days ago

Posters who urge a single, wide door for getting large items into house without dismantling doorframes have a good point. I also think a single, wider door makes a stronger statement, if you plan to keep the opening the same size. Consider re-use salvage stores. You never know what you might find. It’s worth a browse or two.

Some good suggestions have already been made about the front door’s color. You might want to work out your exterior palette before deciding the color of the front door. An example of the impact a front door’s color can make is at https://www.atomic-ranch.com/architecture-design/exterior-paint-colors/