Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katie_strathmann

Shelves or sconce?

Katie S
13 days ago

We have been in a temp kitchen for 10 months due to a leak and failed start with one contracor. We are finally starting construction on a 10 by 20 kitchen addition and I am second guessing many things that i have decided on over the last year. We need to decide on some design aspects on our wall with a triple window over our sink. Initially, i really wanted some small wooden floating shelves flanking the window for plants and a pop of color. I also love the idea of 3 gold sconces or pendants from the back wall or ceiling over the window. i was pretty set on this until it hit me hard today that we will need some sort of window treatment on this large window area, due to privacy.. That alone has me completely stuck becasue whatever route I choose (i dont like any of them), i feel like way too much will be happening on that window with the shelves, backsplash, lights, and curtains/blinds. what do i give up? i could do floating shelves near the cooktop instead, but that wouldnt work for plants. i can do without the lights too, but still want some design element on that wall/window. Please help! Ive included pics of the shelf idea as well as rhe lights. Thank you!

Comments (4)

• PRO
    AiFL
    13 days ago

How about small gold flushmount lights…something with a glimpse of gold but that won’t dangle down. Or just pot lights but incorporate gold into the window covering

Katie S thanked AiFL
  • Kendrah
    13 days ago

My friends talked me out of little floating shelves in our kitchen remodel. I'm so glad they did. They collect dust, grease, and sometimes unneeded doo-dads and junk. If you choose the right finishes and great layout for your kitchen, it won't need shelves with objects to make it look pretty.

Lights - What is your current light plan for the entire space? I adore lighting and sconces above a sink wall, but the most important thing is to first assess your entire lighting scheme. If you don't add sconces, where will your light come from to see in this area?

Blinds - How deep are your windows and can you accommodate inside mount blinds that are functional and don't have a lot of fabric or other visual massing? The pics you posted are very clean spaces and I agree that bulky window treatments will take away from that look. How tall are your windows? How much of the window will be covered by blinds when they are up?

Space - Do you have a drawing of this space? I'm interested in how much space is between you the top of your window trim and the ceiling - and will you have ceiling molding? The first pic you show feels cluttered to me with the base of the sconces sitting right on the window trim. How much space do you have there?

Not saying I love these looks, but a few things to notice:

1. These are tall windows. When the blinds are up there is still plenty of window to see out of.

Shoreline Kitchen · More Info

2. This is from the Shade Store. I think they look horrible. Lots of reasons why.

3. This is a Walmart picture. These don't seem bad. I can see that both shelves and sconces would detract from the look, but a lot of that has to do with the amount of molding above the windows.

Katie S thanked Kendrah
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Where is YOUR kitchen plan addition? The one with feet and inches , window, cabinets, appliances, clearances

To the inch........: )

Upload that. You're ahead of yourself at the moment.

Katie S thanked JAN MOYER
  • littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

No open shelves for me. They seem so 1950s-Joanna-Gaines-farmhouse-old-and-shabby. How well I remember my mom’s kitchen sink shelves that were always dusty and euphemera-collectors.

Katie S thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri