Are Wellborn kitchen cabinets any good?

Comments (2)

• PRO
    Zumi
    13 days ago

No.

• artistsharonva
    10 days ago

I'm not familar with Wellborn Cabinets, but here's a link to their website about cabinet construction. https://www.wellborn.com/cabinet-construction/

Here's some basic tips when shopping for cabinets,

To get started:

Look for the cabinet construction detail brochures for strength & longevity.

Go to some local stores to learn about the cabinet qualities in person. Inspect the construction of the cabinets. For example, open the drawers & look at the joints, how deep the drawers are compared to the drawer front & how well they open & close. Get metal soft close glides for drawers, avoid plastic wheel junk. You will start to quickly see the difference between the cheap & higher quality cabinets.

If you see a bunch of door samples, & can not see a cabinet fully assembled to inspect, that could be a red flag. I do not buy cabinets online, I buy local, but if you do, I highly suggest buying, just 1 of the base cabinets in your layout, to see how it goes from start to finish, before buying the whole kitchen for piece of mind.

I have also noticed, the cabinet brochures that are mainly photos, & mostly all about colors with out details of the construction, that's often the case with marketing cheaper cabinets. They don't want to advertise their quality. On the other hand,

Quality cabinet manufacturers will market/brag about their quality with diagrams & be easy to find the construction details.

When you have found some quality construction, then another thing you could do, is order a door sample & test out it's surface, do some scratch tests, fingerprint tests, & cut it in half to see what the door is made of.

In regards to cabinet construction, my installers tell me how much better it is to install plywood boxes to screw into & or have to cut holes through for plumbing vs the MDF boxes their other clients have used due to the less strength/grip where they have to screw into.

In rooms where water is used,like bathrooms & kitchens, avoid MDF box construction, because if it gets wet or moisture over time, MDF crumbles into pieces. MDF construction with continual use, will begin to wear & tear where screws are attached. MDF is hard to fix if that starts to happen. MDF or HDF is ok for the center piece of a cabinet door or closets or possibly an office, but in rooms with moisture or used daily, I do not use.

Avoid thermofoil. They peel. Junk.

Avoid "furniture grade"

Once you find some quality cabinets, get 2 quotes & also a quote for custom cabinets locally. Then you can buy in confidence.

If the process becomes overwhelming or just takes too much of your valued time, investing into hiring a designer who specializes in whatever you plan on doing, can be $ well spent. Their knowledge & experience can be a real time saver which can guide you to a well designed, functional, beautiful outcome.

Hope this info helps.