Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reporteret

contractor chooses kitchen

Hi,

Just looking for a bit of input.

If the contractor insists you use his vendor, and you don’t like the kitchen cabinets he’s offering, what do you do? Do you buy them, and ignore them, or do you try to work with color and countertop selection to improve the appearance?

Perhaps one could just buy a couple cabinets, and get a temporary kitchen with a view to tearing out after the warranty?

Someone else must have been in a similar bind, and perhaps can lend some insights.

Thank-you.

Comments (33)

• herbflavor
    16 days ago

What vendor is it and how many styles/ finishes and upgrade options? general statement of your dislike offers no details.

• Samuel Go lightly
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Forgive me. The vendor is a lumber yard and has four brands to choose from. I have poured over them carefully, and got quotes. Timberland, Wolf, Fabuwood, and Decora.

• Samuel Go lightly
    Original Author
    16 days ago

It’s true Rho. I could refuse. I have toyed with that idea. I told the vendor I felt that way, and he’s done his best to put together something l will like. The contractor had worked diligently to pressure me into buying a kitchen. The latest is Fabuwood design galaxy frost. Turns out both the vendor and the contractor have them in their own homes, so I can’t say much. I feel like it’s bad enough to pay for a kitchen you don’t like, but then have to pay to get it removed or as you say altered. 😬

• Helen
    16 days ago

Why is your contractor presenting you with limited choices

When i remodeled, the GC installed what i wanted.

No shade but thise lojes are all lower end with limited option

• artemis78
    16 days ago

Is this a new construction home? If so and your contract specifies that you must use the contractor’s vendor, then you’re stuck and just need to pick the best of the available options within your allowance. If not new construction then absolutely you do not need to use the vendor (or the contractor, for that matter!) Cabinetry is one of the most costly elements in your kitchen, so choose something you love. Do not put something in that you’re planning to (or even just wishing to!) immediately remove.

• Samuel Go lightly
    Original Author
    16 days ago

I don’t know if it’s considered new construction. My house had a fire and this contractor is a remediation/rebuilder guy. He agreed to let me have Conestoga beaded inset, and I gave him all the location and info before I signed. I expected to get paneled fridge and dishwasher, so I quickly ordered those to go with my beautiful new kitchen. Since then, he changed his tune on the cabinets and said he thought they were probably junk since he had never heard of them, AND because they arrive on pallets. He went off the deep end when I tried to carefully explain to him the fit and finish were not quite what I was looking for at the lumber yard. Then, he called the guy and told him I said that.

I need to stop being mortified, and come up with a plan. Today, they put in sheet rock.

So, is this considered a new build where I must buy from the vendor?

• artemis78
    16 days ago

If the work is being covered by insurance and this is their designated contractor/vendor, then you may be more limited in your options. What quality are the cabinets you are replacing? If you can make the case that the lines the vendor offers are not adequate replacements for what was there before, you may have some recourse. Hopefully others who've done remediation projects due to fires or floods will see this and weigh in, too. I've generally heard good things about Conestoga, but I could see a contractor balking at the RTA line if they are used to installing stock cabinets.

• herbflavor
    16 days ago

these are Decora cabinets. I would suggest you provide an image or inspiration pic of your desired kitchen . Its hard to imagine if you actually sit w a planner in the kitchen dept that DECORA or one or two of the other names would be inadequate. perhaps the displays are limited but you have to work w the team. We have a lumberyard locally and the kitchen area has several lines of cbinetry..... The displays are adequate but not as expansive as a kitchen showroom ..but the kitchen planners are trained and efficient in what they do. Get further into the process.

Decorá Cabinets: Built-In Home Bar · More Info

Decorá Cabinets: Casual Two-Tone Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen Cabinetry · More Info

• dan1888
    16 days ago

Conestoga is one of the largest cabinet component manufacturers in the US. They supply smaller manufacturers. Get a quote from a local supplier who handles the product you want. Give this to the lumber yard guy with the instructions to beat it or you'll have the other contractor do the cabinets. His choice. He signed the agreement to supply a product. He has to perform, or he is not honoring the contract.

• Helen
    16 days ago

I don't think *new* is relevant to the analyis of your rights.

What people are stating as *new* is actually tract development homes in which the developer has some kind of design studio and you must select your "finishes" from the limited choices.

The relevant analysis is what you have in your specific contract with the developer. Are they supposed to be supplying cabinets at a certain price?

Typically in a contract for an individual house, various items are paid for in different ways.

For example, I selected the wood floors and paid for them but my contract with the GC had an amount he would be paid for the installation including labor and all materials.

Cabinets were treated in the same manner. I selected and paid for the cabinets separately and the GC was paid for the installation. The contract had the elevations which indicated how many cabinets/location so he was able to give a firm bid on installation. But the "style" and manufacturer was irrelevant to his costs.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    16 days ago

Flood and fire/Insurance restoration companies have preferred vendors so it's easier on THEM....and easier to estimate...they know the product better and have established a working relationship with this lumberyard. So no surprises or complicated designer. For them time is money. They want to get in and out and paid ASAP. If you're willing to pay more than insurance is giving you, to get what you want, then get what you want! I'd call the insurance claim adjuster. They willl allow a similar quality of cabinet....ie plywood or particle board? They shouldn't care where you buy it. But I don't work a lot with flood/fire guys. Just know....that they gave rough estimates to the adjuster already. They don't want you going over the top.

But it's your kitchen. Slow this down and get what you want.

• Samuel Go lightly
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thank for your thoughtful responses. You make great points. You also ask some great questions.

I just need to get it worked out properly. From what I’m hearing, the insurance payout basically covers the contractor expenses, and little for my selections. It’s on me if I want more than a couple low-end cabinets. For sure, I think it’s true now that you ask, that I did not have to use his vendors. I don’t think the contractor (who was not the insurance company choice - he’s independent), wanted me to truly absorb that though. My guess is, his thinking (hoping) was that I would just pick a kitchen from his vendor, so the issue would be closed. It’s simply easier for him to work with his guy, should things need attending to during the warranty period. This is understandable. It’s also understandable that he didn’t want to deal with cabinets that didn’t arrive assembled. I’m learning now (too late in the process), that he has a kitchen cabinet installer, who also will put the hardware on, and make a custom hood. If I had gotten a kitchen elsewhere, he would have comped me back for those things. In just asking questions with him about this early on, he could get quite edgy which left me in the dark, so I’ve tried work with his kitchen sales designer. That ate up a lot of time, and energy.

So, to replace my original 1960s custom fit kitchen, I did look very strongly at Decora. The price ballooned after the actual measurements were taken, and I added some of the features. Since the fit and finish aren’t quite there, with such a high price, I started to think perhaps it wasn’t the best idea. I tried carving out some uppers, and selecting full overlay for the island even to reduce the price. The small coupon I’m allotted is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost, just for the cabinets. On the other hand, The Fabuwood is half the price. If I got that, I could maybe get a custom color (which I don’t know the price of at the moment), and get some nice hardware, and put up some wallpaper to distract. Over time, perhaps I will I get used to it, and be glad I saved enough to buy a sofa and TV?

…or wha, buy the fabuwood/ Formica with a view to ripping when I get some money again? This way I can get out of this situation. Can the Fabuwood be adjusted to transform them to inset later? I’m not a carpenter, so that would be another expense. How big? Do I buy a table saw and try to figure it out? Are there other options I haven’t thought of?

It’s an other hand….and on the ORHEROTHER hand situation. (BTW I do know if I had anything assembled before it arrived it would be a lot more than the RTA anyway and can’t stay stuck looking at a price for that, in comparison to anything which arrives assembled. I get it. I really do.) I just prefer to pay for things I love, even if it takes a bit of effort.

I think all of this could have been prevented if I had known what the process was like ahead of time. I could have consulted with an interior designer and a kitchen designer, so I would have been more sure-footed. When the contractor was asked him about that before I signed, he said he was the architect and designer, so I didn’t need any of that. He still says that his discounts would have been incalculable if I had done that, so it would have not benefited me anyway. I shouldn’t have trusted that. I think it’s better for him, if you just go along with his process and don’t ask too many questions. One should definitely have their selections, and all these things firmly worked out before the contractor shows up. It will protect you. Otherwise, it’s a brutal process, and you feel like you’re stuck in the vagaries of a cow-crush, which is crazy making when you’re trying to make wise decisions.

I am where I am now though. I’ve got an appointment with the stone woman later this week. 😮‍💨

I’m most grateful for this conversation. You are amazing.

• Samuel Go lightly
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Thanks! I truly appreciate that. I hunted for resources which I could rely on through this situation. There’s such a huge learning curve, and I’m already regretting choices. As Ive fought for one thing, other things have gotten by me. I am just in over my head Regarding the kitchen:, I had the idea of color and countertop too, but they wanted to charge 8k for the color, so I’m thinking perhaps I could paint the cabinets later, and try to find a nice countertop now. For instance…I didn’t order a replacement linen cupboard for the bathroom, and I’m now wondering if I can change the expensive standalone sink ( which has yet to been ordered), so I can get a proper custom vanity with a corner cabinet for the linens. Th at way I could have the countertop space I’ve always wanted. The electrical is already set for just a sink though ( sconces). Perhaps I could just order a little cheap vanity to suffice and do the rest later? Decisions…😮‍💨 I had wanted wainscotting, crown molding, wall units, and replacement wallpaper. Much of that has fallen by the wayside in this challenging situation. I’m afraid I’ll be left inside a big plain white box with white cabinets, white doors, and not a shred of cozy.

• shirlpp
    7 days ago

Are you doing this by yourself? No partner or kids to help?

Post pics of your choices for opinions.

• Samuel Go lightly
    Original Author
    7 days ago

I should have gotten designers to help. I trusted the contractor when he said he was a designer/architect. I think he kind of thought it would be easier to have me in his orbit without an interference. Here’s the colors I was thinking, before I found out it was 8k to paint the cabinets. I was told there would be deep discounts working with his vendors, and I am not sure I’m seeing that. Thanks for your help. 💕

• Samuel Go lightly
    Original Author
    7 days ago

There’s going to be an island too. I am undecided on the hood. I might do a custom angled hood and paint it to match galaxy frost fabuwood. Today I added some accessories, and tomorrow I have to sign off on it. I’ll include a picture of exterior of house in the next post, since my roll won’t let me in this set. Please forgive the limitations.

• Samuel Go lightly
    Original Author
    7 days ago

This is the exterior after I had it sided. The siding is certain-teed herringbone, the roof is landmark certainteed pewterwood, the door is BM Wedgwood gray and I custom ordered and painted the shutters SW Pavestone. The kitchen is on the south side, which is way bright and that was partly why I was against blinding white cabinets. I recently had trees taken down, which made that worse. I really need a pergola or something over the deck. Just to the left in the room is a new patio slider (which will be replaced) and the deck.

• mcarroll16
    7 days ago

At least one of your countertop preferences--the Danby marble--is a higher-end choice. Is that comparable to the kitchen you had before the fire? Because that's one of your big limits. The insurer isn't going to pay for something fancier than what you had before the damage. If you had wainscotting, crown molding, etc already, then fight to get that back. But if you're trying to get changes and upgrades from your previous space, the insurance company is not paying your contractor enough for that.

• Samuel Go lightly
    Original Author
    7 days ago

This is a view of the slider and how it goes to the deck. I was thinking of doing a banquet with oval tulip table and a pair of chairs. The measurement of that wall is 100 1/5 inches. The ceiling is wired for a chandelier, as is the area over where the island will be. I had wanted to wainscotting ( modern shaker style or traditional) with crown moulding to go with wallpaper. Talking with the contractor is difficult though. It’s in the contract to do wallpaper, but there is a big charge for it to be professionally installed. I have don’t that with assistance, but never one my own. I worry that if I buy it, it will none hard to get around sconces and medicine cabinets ..etc..and it would really be better professionally installed? Not sure.

• Samuel Go lightly
    Original Author
    7 days ago

Yes mccarrol. We already have our checks. We have elected not to do certain things in an effort to upgrade others. The finished basement will not be refinished for instance. We didn’t have much allowances, so we are stretching. I did have custom cabinets, but they are being replaced with stock. Had Formica countertops, but I’ll try to do better than that. People often add in their own funds to do a remodel in these cases, so I’m doing quite a bit of that too. The contractor has been willing to customize, but I’m not always sure what is okay to ask, and since it’s all very pressurized and on the fly, it’s hard to plan properly. I don’t want to overspend, but I don’t want to leave a bunch of remodeling opportunities on the table. Thank you for your input.

• shirlpp
    7 days ago

That first combination IMO looks fine, however, I'm not sure where the colors are going - as well as where the fabric will be used.

• Tish
    7 days ago

Decora is a great choice! It beats an entry level import like Fabuwood by a mile. Fabuwood is way way overpriced for what it is. You can probably buy another import like KCD for about half of what Fabuwood costs. Danby marble is a super expensive premium choice. Your counters should NEVER cost more than your cabinets. Counters should be about 1/10 to 1/4 of your cabinet costs. Cabinet quality is more important than countertop choice.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

Have you ordered your cabinets already? I'm sure you can find a cabinet line that offers a green that you like. Medallion Cabinetry has an entry level called Silverline. Below is a kitchen in their Eucalyptus finish that we did a few years ago.

I don't know much about American Woodmark, but they offer a green called Sage that is nice.

Good luck with your project. If you have to use their vendors....then be sure to at least get a good design. Post it here for help! If you get a good design, then hire an interior designer to get advice and help with the warmth and color that you want.

Kelly

Medallion Silverline · More Info

• Samuel Go lightly
    Original Author
    7 days ago

Wow! That green kitchen is beautiful. Unfortunately the kitchen cabinet thing has been a real wrestle. The Decora was getting over 33. The original Fabuwood design was around 16. And, yes. I did feel, even at that price…it was overpriced for what it was. I started to get cold feet on the Decora since it’s such a higher price and still not really quite what I wanted. The fit and finish cannot touch Conestoga. The other high ticket item besides counters are the windows. I can do builder’s choice of Harvey, Andersen Woodwrights or replace the okna. The okna will cost about half the price of the Andersen. I think wood windows are so pretty, and I love the Okna, but was in a state of shock over how plastic the kitchen triple casement window looked after changing from the original Andersens. I suppose I could save $ by going with the Okna, and put the difference into the nicer Decora cabinets? They are going to kill me if I change again. I do appreciate the input of putting more money into the cabinets over that of the countertops. Thank you for that insight, amazing! That’s precisely the kind of advice I need.

• Samuel Go lightly
    Original Author
    7 days ago

Shirlpp

Yeah, hey. .thanks for chiming in. That’s a Schumacher wallpaper Indian Spring and two paint colors that I thought looked okay with it. I was originally going to get a custom color on the cabinets, and that’s why I was looking at while matching the countertop. If I went with plain white cabinets, that all might not work so much, but I wanted to at least post what I was thinking about in terms of colors. I want to stay in the same color family as the exterior. Nothing too bright, but probably not overly neutral either. :)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 days ago

" Your counters should NEVER cost more than your cabinets. Counters should be about 1/10 to 1/4 of your cabinet costs."

From where did this rule come please? If you're into semiprecious countertops, this rule may be trashed.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    7 days ago

Looked at the design, not sure if someone mentioned this or not. But if you have "full overlay" doors, be careful of the cabinet in the corner. You might need a filler. The drawers could hit the window trim and/or window sill if you have one.

Also be sure to check the specs on the cooktop undercounter oven! I used to do this combination more back in the 80s and 90s. But more recently the cooktops have a taller burner box than back in the day. Combine that with thinner 3cm thick countertops (stone/quartz) and you have less room to fit the undercounter oven! Sometimes they won't fit, so be careful. Could also consider a free standing or slide in range.

If you go with the undercounter oven, then get rid of that expensive Base Oven cabinet. You don't need it. Just order extra fillers and have a platform site built and use fillers to go around it. A base oven cabinet probably costs between $500 and $800 depending on brand. 2x4s and fillers are cheap in comparison. Cabinet installers will have a bit more labor but not that much more!

• Kendrah
    7 days ago

Your contractor is twisting your arm to make choices for which he benefits either by kickbacks, upcharging on the product, or by ease of installation for him so he can move on to another job sooner. It makes sense from his perspective as the person making the money but not from your perspective as the person spending the money.

Take a deep breathe and walk away from this for a week so you have a chance to make your decisions independently and not under pressure. You should never plan on installing a kitchen that you intend to repaint or replace anytime soon. He may hate you - deal with his wrath. He was pushy, you are coming to your senses and being an educated consumer, and he just has to deal. I understand his frustration but his attempt to push you in one direction has backfired and these are the consequences.

Start with your budget - how much out of pocket money do you want to spend or can you spend? Add the $ from the insurance company on top of that and you have your budget. Work within that budget to get a kitchen you will be very happy with.

Schumacher wallpaper and Danby counters are nearly the Rolls Royce of papers and countertops. Do you drive a Rolls, is your house a Rolls, do you want to splurge for a Rolls, are there nice Subaru alternatives? You don't have to go Ford Pinto of Yugo.

What does your contract specifically say about cabinets? That your contractor will assemble? Install? Give us the exact language and what you are being charged for.

Looking at your budget, what amount do you have to spend on cabinets? Given your layout, number of cabinets, what your add on desires are, what brand of cabinet is the best for your budget? (Not out of his vendors, just out of what cabinets are on the whole market.)

Lastly, have you posted a layout of your kitchen here along with the cabinet list and sketches and asked if makes sense? You will get insanely good professional feedback and may realize that you are over ordering cabinets for the wrong kind of layout. Or, you might be counting on the right number of cabinets but making other decorative choices that are wrong and costing you more money.

Bottom line. Stall for a few days - you have a weekend coming up. Cancel your plans and get to work on a budget, cabinets, and other elements that work for you.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    7 days ago

Ps. somehow didn't see the light aqua/blue paint swatches. Those colors would probably be in the more semi-custom. Here is Medallion's full color of blue/green paint.

https://medallioncabinetry.com/products/finish-gallery/?color=Blue%2CGreen&type=Paint&filters=true

• Kendrah
    7 days ago

Budget idea - White cabinets, quart counters, blue wall paint, Schumacker print as fabric on window treatment, earth tone color in accessories and flooring.

• Samuel Go lightly
    Original Author
    7 days ago

Thanks Kendrah. You must be a magician! I just got back from my appointment. 😮‍💨 I really needed to go, because he was waiting for a check. It was very helpful. He had my credits, and my extra costs all worked out very carefully. I’ve been able to see only part of all that before now, so at least on that score I’m feeling a lot less crazy now. So, I did request a couple days to think things over so at present the kitchen cabinets and windows haven’t been finalized. He looked me in the eye…and told me NOT to change the kitchen. 🫤 Because of the timeline, 7-8 weeks for a custom color…I don’t think that’s really on the table. I’ve got to take a better look at this paperwork. You all have been so amazing. I really appreciate it. 😘

• Samuel Go lightly
    Original Author
    6 days ago

Okay then. It’s pretty darned expensive to get a really nice kitchen together. It looks as if the quote for shadow storm which they are calling Marble, to go up backsplash is 5920.00 ( guessing that’s about what the others are, but some go can go up another 2k), and the cost for windows and the cabinets will be around 15 each. They’re giving me 1,500 toward the countertop. Andersen woodwrights and white galaxy fabuwood - (which was the last choice I ever wanted to make). When I add all my out of pocket expenses ( floors, lighting, and moulding), I’m likely going just over 50K. Not dreadful, but will I live in mortification that I didn’t just bite the bullet and get inset cabinets? Will I adjust? That’s without furnishings. I only have about 6,600.00 to offset that still out there if I do that. I also will need to buy a linen cupboard to get built-in later, as well as shower door for the main bath. Also, there’s probably a good chunk I might spend on landscaping stuff. Definitely need a fence (another 6k) and a driveway repaved. All in, that’s probably 10-15…:maybe 20k. It’s tough to know. Not all of it needs doing immediately. I could forgo the Andersen windows, and save 6-7 K. I could put different window dressing in, so I don’t see all the plastic in the kitchen if I go with the Okna instead of Andersen. That would cover to costs of the counter/help pay for inset? The okna 600 can come with nice hardware, and I can get some SDL muntins for the upper parts of the casements as money-saving alternative. Already paid a lot of large post fire expenses. My numbers might be off, but it looks like I should just budget 70K? If it weren’t for this situation, I wouldn’t even consider any big outlay right now. I also don’t want to be putting all the money into renovation, and then refuse to furnish the house because I already spent so much. I can totally see myself doing that. 😬 At least I’ve got a little ways to go. Can any of you follow this? BTW, I have both a pinto and a Rolls. JK. I had a pinto which was my first car, and a beautiful blue Audi which sadly got totaled by the fire. 🔥💔