Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_298680893

Living room layout dilemma

Lisa G
17 days ago

Should I mount my tv over fireplace with a Mantel Mount that can lower it and position the sofa toward the fireplace and get a second sofa along the wall where tv currently is? Should I connect those couches with an end table? I would need to leave room behind couch for a walkway to the kitchen and other areas of the downstairs from the stairs.

Or should I leave my couch where it is? Help!

Ignore the rug and tv console. They aren’t staying.

Comments (16)

• ffpalms
    17 days ago

Can you post a photo of the wall the couch is currently facing? That appears to be the best spot for a TV.

• Lisa G
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Here you go! I agree, I just am open to other suggestions

• Lyn Nielson
    17 days ago

I would not mount the TV above the fireplace, it is too high for comfortable viewing.

• ffpalms
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

I like your current layout. You can change the look by adding other elements to the TV wall. The second photo shows a Frame TV.

• ffpalms
    17 days ago

I like your current layout. You can chage the look by adding other elements to the TV wall. The second photo shows a Frame TV.

• Lisa G
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Thank you!! Yes I really want to do a gallery wall but wanted to be 100% on the furniture placement before I go that route.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    17 days ago

I would keep the TV on the wall where it's currently located, select a larger TV screen and a floating unit below.

• Lisa G
    Original Author
    17 days ago

What is the yellow, lamps? Our current couch size won’t allow there to be another chair on the side like you’re showing. I also don’t want to block the fireplace with a lamp since that is a path of travel.

• Kendrah
    17 days ago

I want to see the sofa face the fireplace too. I just seems like the right orientation for the room. However, I think you will regret having the TV that high even with a pull down arm. I bet you won't end up pushing it in and out of place each time you watch it and then it will be an odd, clunky looking wall.

So, I would leave your TV and sofa where it is now. I would not do a gallery wall. I think it will appear cluttered.

• Lisa G
    Original Author
    17 days ago

If I faced it toward fireplace, what furniture layout would you recommend?

• MR W
    17 days ago

Your sectional really does create a barrier to a more open circulation. Replacing it with comfortable club chairs and ottomans would be another approach I would consider, 2 facing the fireplace and another to the left of the fireplace.

• Lisa G
    Original Author
    17 days ago

I went ahead and rearranged the couch. I think I like this placement even better. Open still and will alllow for lamp placement and an end table along the wall.

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    17 days ago

Hello Lisa, May we have measurements of the room that include windows, doors, openings, fireplace and length of the couch? How many people use the room daily and how many guests do you want to accommodate? A rough hand drawn sketch with measurements drawn in will work just fine. That will help a lot. Thanks.

• MR W
    16 days ago

Big improvement!

• PRO
    16 days ago

Where did you end up putting the TV? It looks like you have a second small couch, but then we realized it’s a part of the sectional. Looks like you removed the middle seat from the sectional. Anyway, sure wish we could get a hand drawn sketch of the room with measurements. We could help you a whole lot more if we did. Because we can’t measure the room ourselves we need your help to do that for us so we can help you.

• PRO
    15 days ago

Your couch is awesome! It’s wonderful the way that you can rearrange it in so many different configurations. Is it a lovesac? If not, please tell us the name of this couch and the manufacturer. Best wishes.