Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_818077394

Please help living room arrangement

s
18 days ago
last modified: 18 days ago

Our house is a Capecod and when you step into our home, you are in the living room. It always looks cluttered, we have too many pieces of furniture. I'm planning to start fresh, would like a modular/sectional-type sofa for comfort. We have a family of 5.

Our tv is on the wall next to the fireplace, so you see the back of the couch, but the walk path is like an obstacle course to the kitchen.

We currently have ikea book shelf storage lining the wall shared with the bathroom, and table in the middle. Not sure that will stay.

What would you do to make this space work?

Living room

this is the best big pic I have, taken before we moved in and had the painting and floors done:

thanks in advance for your suggestions, it's appreciated!

---update, more pics:

too much happening here, the only things I want to keep are the new tv stand and the black armoire (only because its sentimental). I wish the area was more inviting, accessible, organized.

here is the view from on our stairs looking down:

Comments (29)

• jck910
    18 days ago

So, coming in the front door you need to walk through the entire LR to get to kitchen? What room is to the left of the front door? Maybe 2 zones: Put the sofa parallel to the stairs facing the TV. And then have a sitting area near the FP. I doubt a sectional is going to work in your space.

Post a picture of your layout now.

• dan1888
    18 days ago

More pics from every side will help a lot. Is there a garage entrance you use instead of the front door?

• s
    Original Author
    18 days ago

yes, you have to walk that distance shown in the photo to get to the kitchen. I updated the post with a few more pics. Thanks everyone.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    18 days ago

Fix your drawing and come back........like this with the missing information in feet and inches

Use a ruler, or use graph paper: ) and we will help you far more accurately.

I'll say this to ALL who may pass....

This is a really simple skill necessary for life and anywhere you shall live, from dorm room to first apartment to your very own first home.

It should be a requirement to get out of high school, and it IS as necessary as how to use a stove, or a washer and dryer .

If you can't do it with a tape measure, paper and pencil or graph paper and pencil? It will be meaningless on a computer program.

You will spend $$$$$$ on stuff that doesn't fit, look good, and you will spend another thousand hours boxing and returning:)

I kid you not lol

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    18 days ago

We will build a 3D rendition using the measurements that you have provided. May we have measurements of the windows in the room and the front door? It seams as it the length of the room is 25" from wall of window near the front door to the opposite wall of windows. Is that true?

Thanks in advance.

s thanked Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
  • s
    Original Author
    18 days ago

Yes, 25' 3" is the total distance from window to window. I retook the measurements and adjusted my floorplan, I posted that up above in my original post. I hope that will be more clear!

I could change the window treatments too. We only cared about having privacy from the street windows, but I now realize it is odd to have the other set of windows untreated. Light is a bit of an issue too.

Added a view so you can see the usage of the stair wall.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    18 days ago

Very very helpful with full dimensions : ) thank you !

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    18 days ago

I'm going to bother you again.....can you show us the dining room? Add a drawing with dimensions and be sure to include window entrance to it from the kitchen etc and feet and inches for all? Tell us where you eat most meals, and also show the kitchen?

• s
    Original Author
    18 days ago

sorry unable to take measurements right at this moment, but...

a few years ago, with help from this wonderful online community, our kitchen remodel was finished. i have photos here: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6134455/how-to-do-two-toned-kitchen-with-peninsula

we eat in both the kitchen and dining, the dining room has windows and lots of light, 12' by 12', the perfect size for our dining table

• PRO
    18 days ago

Thanks for the update with the measurements. That helps a lot!

• PRO
    17 days ago

We are making the adjustments using the updated measurements. I see that you and coat area In front of the stairs. Do you have a back door near the garage where coats and shoes can go? Also, can the hutch go in the dining room area?

• PRO
    17 days ago

This is an alternative to your entry bench for shoes, coats, etc. It is an under-the-stairs storage system. It works really well because it uses the small room under the stairs and opens up the space in the room. It is also a tidy way of storing things used daily like coats and shoes. A nice alternative to a coat closet. The folks on "Fixer to Fabulous" do this when ever they can. You can actually see some examples of this on their show on HGTV.

Here is a link to some more pictures of stair storage options.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=stair+storage+solutions&fr=mcafee&type=E210US105G0&imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2Fc1%2Ff7%2Ffe%2Fc1f7fe1a58f910535f3fd52e06938d5b.jpg#id=3&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2Fc1%2Ff7%2Ffe%2Fc1f7fe1a58f910535f3fd52e06938d5b.jpg&action=click

• PRO
    17 days ago

Under the stairs closets/storage in the rendition.

Radiator covers that can be used for lamps, and decorations. Looks much better than the radiator alone.

• PRO
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

The Living room/TV seating arrangement presented for your consideration.

1. One four seater couch
    2. Two swivel chairs.
    3. Two side tables and a matching coffee table.
    4. One couch table
    5. One floor lamp in the corner
    6. One large round area rug to define the area
    7. Your TV and TV console.
    8. Your black armoire
    9. One basket with extra blankets and pillows
    10. Two large vases with pompos grass
    11. Ocean related accent pieces
    12. One large picture of the ocean over the fireplace.

Here you see two swivel chairs with a matching ottoman. One small game table between them. One floor lamp in the corner, one large round area rug to define the "cozy" in front of the fireplace and one piece of art over the game table. The chairs and ottoman can be pulled into the TV are for extra seating.

• PRO
    17 days ago

We took several pictures around the room so you can see what is being suggested. Please do not get a sectional. This room is too small for a sectional. They tend to take over the room and control your ability to make adjustments if needed or wanted. This seating arrangement seats six people. The swivel chairs are better for both conversation and turning to watch TV. This is also a much more open arrangement. A sectional will close off the room. We are hoping you will consider this. Can the clock go into the kitchen? It would look better there. It just seems out of place in the living room.

• PRO
    17 days ago

This renditions is being presented for your consideration and viewing pleasure. We hope it helps. We removed the wall of storage closets and the dining room table and replaced it to make seating area or otherwise known as a "Cozy" in front of the fireplace. Hope this helps.

• PRO
    17 days ago

We took several pictures of the rendition so you can see the room from each wall and entry. We posted descriptions along the way in each section to follow. Enjoy and Best wishes.

• s
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Thank you for your time with those renditions, it's exciting to see alternate ideas. I really like the staircase storage, round rugs (should they match?), and swivel chairs seem useful too.

I was hoping to have enough seating for my family of 5 though without rearranging. It would be difficult to close the curtains with radiators used as a decoration holder, they do look nice.

• PRO
    17 days ago

Yes, the round rugs should match. This arrangement seats six people. 3 to 4 on the couch and two on the swivel chairs. The couch is a four seater couch. Yes I agree closing the curtains with the radiator cover would be difficult. You could put shades on the windows instead of shears. Then you could just pull them down. We noticed that it’s hard for you to close the sheer curtains because of the radiators. They do have covers that are smaller and you wouldn’t need to use them as a place for decorations. Are they the only source of your heat in that room or do you use the fireplace frequently? Too bad you don’t have forced air heat then the radiators wouldn’t be necessary. Thank you for getting back to us. Happy to know it helped. you can get small swivel chairs from the world market cost plus. They have some very comfortable ones. We have other clients who have enjoyed the ones that they got from them.

• PRO
    17 days ago

The windows with shades. The swivel chairs in front of the fireplace can be extra seating for guests. They can be pulled into the circle for the guests to watch TV or for conversation. The ottoman can also be used as extra seating.

Here is a picture of the windows with shades, for your consideration.

This is just an example. There are many shades out there to chose from.

Picture of one of the many swivel chairs from World Market and a link. Just make sure it is one of the smaller ones for your living room because a big one just will not work. Hope this helps. Best Wishes.

https://www.worldmarket.com/search?q=swivel%20chair

• PRO
    17 days ago

radiator covers from Bed Bath and Beyond are the best priced ones that could be found. Just in case you want to put them over your radiators to make the room look prettier. These covers are thin enough that you would be able to close the larger panel of curtains.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/Home-Garden/vidaXL-MDF-Radiator-Cover-White-80.7/35623482/product.html?utm_source=connexity&utm_medium=cpc&track=bizrate&cid=283047&szredirectid=17131218149350123524616891171008005&option=68548888

• s
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Thos swivel chairs have great reviews. Any recommendations for the couch? What should be the goal for the length? Thanks again for all the help!

• PRO
    16 days ago

Will research the couch for you. Happy to do that.

• PRO
    16 days ago

Yes, the swivel chairs are really nice. They are very comfortable. I know because I sat in them and found them to be very comfortable. As I said before I have clients, both tall and short, who found them to be comfortable. It’s a good chair or piece of furniture that can fit people of all sizes. That is very important.

• PRO
    15 days ago

This is a good looking couch. It seems to check off all of the boxes in size, solid structure and easy care. See what you think. It is from Wayfair. Here is the link: https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/emilio-90-recessed-arm-sofa-with-reversible-cushions-w003204765.html?piid=2057397377

• PRO
    15 days ago

This is just some examples of couches that are similar to the one in the rendition. If you like any of these our best suggestion is to write the names of the couches down and try to find a furniture store that sells these couches. Why, because it is always best, when it comes to couches, to be able to see them in person to see if they you like them, their quality, comfort and fit. JThis is very important. So see if there is a store near you that carries Ashley sofas. If not then you can always take picture of these couches with you to see if a nearby furniture store carries anything like them. We would love to see pictures of the room when you update. Best Wishes.

Here are some other couches from J.C. Penny that is an Ashley. Here are the links: https://www.jcpenney.com/p/signature-design-by-ashley-valerano-sofa/ppr5008424098?pTmplType=regular&deptId=dept20000011&catId=cat100250026&rrplacementtype=pdp1_jrecs&criteriaName=E0_Seq_Jewelry_MothersDay_2024

cpenney.com/p/signature-design-by-ashley-rilynn-sofa/ppr5008424094?pTmplType=regular&deptId=dept20000011&catId=cat100250026&rrplacementtype=pdp1_jrecs&criteriaName=E1_S4_ProductType%20VV

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/signature-design-by-ashley-traemore-sofa/ppr5007752965?pTmplType=regular&deptId=dept20000011&catId=cat100250026&rrplacementtype=pdppla1_jrecs

This is a picture of the link above.

• PRO
    15 days ago

Please be sure to take a tape measure with you if you decide to go to furniture store.

• PRO
    15 days ago

Please take a tape measure when you go to the furniture store. It helps a lot.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!