Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mckall_ebush

kitchen renovation

McKall Bush
17 days ago

Can someone help me with updating this kitchen to be more modern… initial ideas

1- Remove stone on island and add horizontal shiplap (see example picture)

2- What would you do for backsplash?

3- Warm white walls

4- Update Lighting

Option 1: change cabinets to black

Option 2: change cabinets to a greyige (see example picture)

Comments (7)

• chicagoans
    17 days ago

Yes to removing the stone on the island and getting a new backsplash. I personally would not do shiplap on the island as it doesn’t seem to relate to anything else in your kitchen. Maybe consider painted wood panels on the island instead. I’d leave the wood stained cabinets instead of painting those. Are they in good shape?

• chicagoans
    17 days ago

ETA yes to updated lighting, and it looks like the pendants are hung too high. You can try the balloon trick (hang balloons on strings in place of lights) to easily test pendant height and placement.

For the backsplash, decide first what you’re with cabinets, if anything, then bring in lots of samples. Most people now are skipping any kind of accent behind the cooktop and doing one consistent backsplash.

• rebasheba
    16 days ago

It looks like the cabinet doors above the range hood are damaged so refacing or painting could make sense (otherwise I would say leave the wood!). Go with the lighter color, the charcoal will look very harsh and cold with your gray floors and light colored walls.

I think either the panels you show or a slightly more traditional beadboard panel could look great in lieu of the stone (why????) and how about a COLOR?

• herbflavor
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

I would change the island to painted white or a light shade of your choosing...probably get a new top for the island /more appropriate sized pendants/ new stools etc. I would not paint the perimeter at least initially. Its hard to tell what shade the floor is...the two pics differ...gray vs tan floor.??? ...so which way for option of paint????? figure that out. then the backsplash follows along once the tone is figured out..... Can you do a bit more in the island and insert a drawer microwave...the old style protruding configuration on the wall should get an update. then you can shift that end cabinet over since the backsplash is getting redone anyway.

shown below - lighter paint flatters the cherry or darker wood stains.....

Space to Expand · More Info

Elegant Gourmet Kitchen · More Info

• Kendrah
    16 days ago

Doing a really good paint job that will last and not chip quickly is quite expensive. It is hard to tell from a pic, but are your cabinets perhaps a lower end RTA? If so, they are not worth painting. But, you can still make a great looking kitchen with them as they are.

Your counters are a bit bossy, cool toned, and contrasting. I adore warm whites, but I think your counter calls for more of neutral white that wont yellow or pink against your counters.

I’d do a simple white subway backsplash as close to your wall paint as possible with pencil thin grey grout lines, white wall, and medium grey island similar to your range backsplash grey, no shiplap. Then bring in a touch of warmth with matte brass hardware and really attention grabbing light fixtures in brass or with brass accents.

Feature tiles above a range may no longer be in vogue, but I like yours and think they help tie in your floor with the vertical parts of your kitchen.

Start looking at inspiration pics with cabinets and counters similar to yours.

• RedRyder
    16 days ago

Here are some cherry/dark cabinet kitchens to help you rethink yours. I would not paint the cabinets since a professional job is expensive and any painted cabinet can chip. Work with the great cabinets you have.

• dani_m08
    14 days ago

I would see if the damaged cabinets above the cooktop can be fixed - it does appear that the finish has been damaged - maybe your vent is not working correctly?

- Removing the stone off the island will greatly improve the kitchen

- either move or replace the current microwave with a smaller one - it doesn’t fit in the current space and looks awkward

- change out the backsplash - find something that works nicely with your countertops. I would use the same backsplash tile behind your cook top instead of highlighting that area with different tile.

I would only consider painting your cabinets If the finish cannot be repaired over the cooktop. In any event, you need to determine why the finish was damaged in order to prevent it from being damaged again.