Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_mathies1

Chip in brand new laminate countertop by cabinet installer!

Cindy M
17 days ago

Our budget only allowed for laminate countertops in our kitchen reno (don’t judge) and I loveeeee it!! Today my cabinet installer somehow chipped a piece off the edge and cracked the side piece too! He tells me he will try and repair it. I’m not happy with a “repair”. Should I insist he replace it? Help??

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    17 days ago

He's getting off easy. I got a call today from a designer that's not happy with the repair her fabricator attempted on a mitered granite edge that he chipped at installation. He's going to pay me to fix it or he's going to replace about 4K worth of top.

• Cindy M
    Original Author
    17 days ago

I don’t know what to say to him. He was complaining it would cost him a lot to replace it. Well shoot…I wasn’t the one who chipped it! In my opinion, it’s his oops, his problem. Not mine!

• kculbers
    17 days ago

He needs to replace that countertop. Prior to my kitchen renovation a few years ago, we had woodlook laminate countertops that lasted 30 years, not one chip, and I cook from scratch.

• Cindy M
    Original Author
    17 days ago

My last counter top didn’t have one nick or crack either and we had it for 20 years.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    17 days ago

Cindy:

Place your fingernails on the front edge of the countertop and raise up to see if they catch on the seam at the top lamination. They should not. The top lamination should have been trimmed with a 7* bevel bit and filed to flush. If your nail catches, that's fabricator error and the cause of the chip.

• Cindy M
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Hmmm I’m going to talk to him about that. The edge is quite sharp!

• dani_m08
    15 days ago

Cindy - you just bought a new countertop - you shouldn’t have to settle for a repaired one - especially since Joseph (expert re: many things - including countertops) has posted that it can’t be fixed in a manner that won’t be obvious.

• just_janni
    15 days ago

It also looks like the edge banding is cracked.

I agree to look at the edge on that - it LOOKS too sharp which means it was done incorectly to boot.

DO NOT BACK DOWN ON THIS. As stated - you did not do this. This isn't a particularly "fuzzy" material and there is NO REASON it should be chipped / cracked, etc. This is all on your fabricator and he needs to make it right and that will require a new top.

• dan1888
    15 days ago

Thank your installer. He may have discovered a error by the fabricator. Check with the laminate manufacturer for recommended edge treatment. Maybe they can review well-lit closeups or have a rep inspect the work. Like Joe said. If it's not correct, it's not his fault.

• Cindy M
    Original Author
    14 days ago

The installer put the laminate on himself so can’t blame the fabricator. He made the edge himself

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH