Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbschmidt

Need help finding cat proof dining chairs

JB
last month

Hello all! I would love some advice on what to replace our dining room chairs with. I need cat proof materials after we had a couple barn cats dumped on our property who are now spoiled indoor kitties but they have shredded my dining room chairs. I've been looking at wood but wondering if cream wood chairs would look weird? I currently really like the contract between our grey table and the cream upholstered chairs. Trying to keep the chairs budget friendly at about $200 or less a piece. Please see the below photos of our current dining room and living room for a sense of our style. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Comments (32)

• HU-187528210
    last month

I like the arhaus ones best

• JB
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you both! I love all of those but agree the Arhaus ones look great.

• jackowskib
    last month

The Arhaus ones would likely be the only ones to survive, lol

• JB
    Original Author
    last month

Agreed! I love the look of the other two but can see them being shredded. And we do have multiple scratchers and cat trees through out the house.

• Jennz9b
    last month

thanks for adopting cats! have found that my cats do not shred velvet because their claws cannot gain purchase. although they sometimes catch on seams. Another idea— These are from Room and Board but many sites will have similar.

• JB
    Original Author
    last month

The universe brought these kitties just when I was thinking of adopting a kitten as a playmate for our senior cat. Thanks for sharing the room and board chair! It looks great but would it look too modern I. Our space?

• HU-187528210
    last month

Too modern IMO

• blueskysunnyday
    last month

My cat does not shred velvet or leather. I have read that they generally do not shred microfiber either. Good luck!!

JB thanked blueskysunnyday
  • Linda Coulson
    last month

I couldn't keep my cat from shredding an upholstered bench no matter what fabric I used to recover it with....velvet included. Local Fabricland told me customers were using outdoor fabrics like sunbrella for ottomans & benches that their cats were ruining. Apparently it stood up to the abuse so I tried it. My cat attacks the bench & 4 mths later you wouldn't know it.

JB thanked Linda Coulson
  • arcy_gw
    last month

Chairs w/o upholstery i.e. fabric are plentiful.

JB thanked arcy_gw
  • Jenny
    last month

As you know, they are territory marking. Are they doing a particular chair? You could also consider using Feliway plugin infusers (for territorial anxiety), a cardboard scratcher right next to the chairs/window, and heavy plastic "skirt" on the scratched areas (or two sided tape) to see if you can send this energy elsewhere.

JB thanked Jenny
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Your only hope at longevity ?

A wood frame and upholstered seat. Get plastic tie on covers.....break them of the habit and use them for a month or so.

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/kendig-slat-back-dining-side-chair-w004250600.html?piid=1613427643

Plastic......tie em on

Amazon

JB thanked JAN MOYER
  • JB
    Original Author
    25 days ago

Thank you all for the great advice! Sorry for slow replys...got really sick and finally coming out of my fever fog. I'm really liking the look of the cross back chairs like the Arhaus ones. I have a lot of different wood tones so struggling with color. The table and our upper kitchen cabinets are dark grey, the bottom cabinets are walnut and we have a black cabinet in the dining room. Would a maple color or grey chair look best?

• jackowskib
    25 days ago

The Oka chair looks like a compliment to the floor. The Arhaus one has a linen seat so would need to be covered.

JB thanked jackowskib
  • JB
    Original Author
    25 days ago

I do love that Oka chair but wondering if my cats would shred it. I do like the color though.

• jackowskib
    24 days ago

Perhaps your kitties would be attracted to the Oka chair, hard to say. Perhaps you might consider searching for spindle dining chairs in Shop on the Houzz search bar. There are several styles available, and colors you can consider. Then get a nice seat pad for them if needed.

• JB
    Original Author
    24 days ago

Thank you. I’ll check those out

• JB
    Original Author
    22 days ago

Hi all. I’m thinking of this chair. Thoughts? Without the skirts of my upholstered chairs, thinking I should add a rug under the table. Would a solid jute rug be a good option to compliment the rug I. Our living room?

• Kate
    22 days ago

Love the Arhaus , not a designer, but a fellow cat owner for many years. From personal experience - anything weaved , like on the other pictures above, will most likely be cats attraction. They love to scratch baskets. I had and have multiple cats and even more ruined baskets :) and other pieces of furniture..

• JB
    Original Author
    22 days ago

Thanks Kate! I’m definitely going to avoid anything with a weave pattern.

• HU-187528210
    17 days ago

I think something soft underneath the table will feel more appropriate

JB thanked HU-187528210
  • HU-187528210
    17 days ago

The chairs add enough contrast/ hard surface.

• JB
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thank you all so much for your feedback. Sharing photos of my new chairs. I realize the rug is the wrong size but wanted feedback to see what you all think of the rug style. Am I on the right track?

• HU-187528210
    14 days ago

I think you need a round rug. But the style color and design is njce

• HU-187528210
    14 days ago

Love the chairs

• JB
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you! I just ordered a round rug; unfortunately couldn’t get the same rug but found a similar look. Appreciate your advice!

• JB
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Have a new round rug and the size is much better. Think I have hopefully foiled the cats from destroying the dining room. LOL!

• jackowskib
    10 days ago

It looks wonderful, and the window view there is so serene! Hopefully the kitties will leave the rug alone!

• JB
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thank you! I sprayed the rug with a kitty repellent and they have a scratcher behind the table so I’m crossing my fingers. I love the view too because I can see my horse and donkeys.

• HU-187528210
    10 days ago

Magnificent!! I love it! 💖

• JB
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thank you so much! I appreciate all your advice and comments.