Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casey101

Freestanding tub in a small space - how much room do you need?

None
last month

For those that have a freestanding tub in an alcove, or other small space - how much room do you need to have around the tub in order to keep the area around the tub clean without becoming a contortionist? I'm thinking about getting a free-standing tub but have limited room in my bathroom, and am worried I will regret it if the fit is too tight to easily clean around the tub.

Any other pros or cons of freestanding tubs in your experience?

Comments (19)

• elcieg
    last month

Measurements of the room; photos would help.

• PRO
    None
    Original Author
    last month

I'm still in the exploring options phase, deciding on whether it can be done if I move things around. I currently have a 60" alcove. But I might bump out or move things depending on how much room one needs around the tub to not be frustrated trying to clean (eg if you need 2 feet on each of the three sides then its not doable for my space)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last month

A foot all around to start. More is better. If you can’t do that get a nice alcove tub. Free standing tubs are pretty but not practical in many situations.

• PRO
    Zumi
    29 days ago

Small spaces are not suited to free standing tubs. They need a lot more room than an alcove or drop in.

• Emily R.
    29 days ago

I got a freestanding tub in our primary bathroom (had plenty of space), and I regret it. I love the alcove tub in my kids' bathroom -- it's easy to get in and out, there are nice ledges to put my bubble bath and water bottle and glasses, there's no dust around it, and it feels cozy tucked into the 3 walls.

• palimpsest
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

60" space is too small for a free standing tub. Code addresses sinks and vanities needing at least 4" between the edge of the fixture and the wall (unless it touches/is attached the the wall) for access to clean around it. So in a typical 60 x 30 or 32" alcove, that means the tub would need exterior measurements of 52" x 26-28" Max. Meaning the inside of the tub would be less than 4 feet by 2 feet. Very small.

Really freestanding tubs are made for, look best with plenty of space around them, and anything less than about a foot starts to look kind of shoehorned in. So for a standard 5 foot tub you would need 7 feet of space.

Yes, people do squeeze them into much less than 7 x 3-1/2 feet. But does it look great? Is it easy to clean around? Meh.

• Jennz9b
    29 days ago

I wouldnt do it in that small of space- looks terrible and will be hard to clean.

• Kendrah
    29 days ago

I've heard wide ranging opinions on here from people with free standing tubs in tight spaces. Some think it is hard to clean and go crazy trying to find places to put soap, a book, candles, and others have found easy ways to get back there and clean and love it.

As a matter of aesthetics, a freestanding tub in a small space always looks to me like tupperware in an overloaded dishwasher. I think this fad will run its course in 10 years.

Dunlap Master Bath Oasis · More Info

Home by the Sea · More Info

Deane Gardens Project · More Info

Linen Closet Turned to a Tub Viena VA · More Info

Old Dallas Rd. Remodel · More Info

Shepherdstown, Contemporary, Modern Farmhouse in the forest · More Info

Palisades Residence · More Info

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    29 days ago

Before you do a thing, you plan the entire bath. You measure, you post a drawing with every foot and inch of wall , window, doorway noted and inform what you are willing or able to move, within those walls.

No you do NOT squash a free standing tub in a 30 x 60 alcove space. Just because you see "stupid" in pictures online, does not mean that stupid is anything but that. ) .....yeah... stupid it is.

• Boxerpal
    29 days ago

Don't do it.. Unless you have space. And even if you have space think about how you use a tub. I agree this is a fad that will fade.

Great photos @kendrah

• just_janni
    29 days ago

All I can think of when I look at those pictures is "oh, the funk you'll have"... especially those wet rooms.

I suspect that $*&^ will get old after the first use. Can you imagine wiping down the front of that tub every shower? Getting on your hands and knees and wiping behind it (and it several that isn't even possible) . What do you do take a leaf blower in there and try to dry it? I am only half kidding.

Do the alcove. Light the candles. Have a space for your wine. Relax in knowing there's not a lab experiment of mold joining you in the tub.

• Boxerpal
    29 days ago

@just_janni

do you do take a leaf blower in there and try to dry it?

rotfl you are so funny

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    29 days ago

FS tubs need huge spaces to look right and allow cleaning,They are a PITA to get in and out of for no reason as far as function is concerend A nice deep soaking tub alcove style is IMO always a nicer choice and will always function and look good. Wet rooms are just plain stupid IMHO the fact that the tub gets wet when you shower should be the first red flag.

• PRO
    None
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Thank you everyone! I too have seen the photos of freestanding tubs in small spaces and so wondered if there was some kind of trick to cleaning around them. Apparently not, so unless I can find at least 7 feet it will be an alcove tub for me! Any recomendations on a 60 or 66 inch alcove one that is good, and pretty? (All the bath fixture stores only seem to be displaying freestanding ones!).

• wdccruise
    28 days ago

These two alcove tubs -- there are others -- have tile flanges on three sides but don't have an apron so you could add your own apron rather than having one that's just part of the tub.

None thanked wdccruise
  • Emily R.
    28 days ago

Here's a listing pic of my kids' bath. The tub itself *is* nice, but, IMO, what makes the bathroom really pretty is the detailed tile work and the unique fixtures. That's what I look, anyway, at when I'm taking a bath. ;)

• Kendrah
    28 days ago

so wondered if there was some kind of trick to cleaning around them.

@Paul F has some kind of trick for cleaning around his tight fit free standing. I can't remember what it is though. Sorry!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz