Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrhess

Replacement Windows

terrhess
last month
last modified: last month

Just bought this home and the windows are original, provide no insulation, and are beyond repair. They won't even open (mechanisms won't crank) and the wood is pretty far gone. They have lived a great life.

Two issues:

- SO many differing opinions on which windows to choose and I so far have gotten estimates for vinyl and fiberglass;

- Since cost is a factor (and ALL the windows need replacing), colors are typically limited and the windows will likely be white. Not sure how much I will like the results, given the current trim color. Many of the details (downspouts and gutters) are copper with a patina, so right now it's all cohesive and I am guessing this will change the look quite a bit.

Seeking opinions on: 1: vinyl versus fiberglass, and 2: the tradeoff of changing the look (eventually have trim painted?).

So confused. Thanks for weighing in!!

Comments (26)

• la_la Girl
    last month

What a gorgeous cottage! Assuming it's an older home? Since the fabulous windows are such an important part of your home's charm & appeal, I would definitely take your time, research well and choose wisely - This Old House could be a good resource.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/windows/21015335/clear-choices-for-windows

terrhess thanked la_la Girl
  • terrhess
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you. It's such a big decision! But I have no way to open any of them and I love a good breeze.

• cat_ky
    last month

White should look ok, but, I would leave the green trim. You have the white arbor in front, so white windows should look ok too. I usually dont like the small paned windows, but, in your house, that already has the small panes, make sure you get windows that are as close to the look as you can get of the original ones. Its too bad, you cant get any of them to open, because, those windows are a very important part of the look of your house, which is beautiful. The landscaping could use a bit of trimming. Its gotten a bit overgrown, but, the house itself looks great.

• terrhess
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you! The windows have not only been painted shut forever but the wood framing is so deteriorated and fragile, I am afraid to force them and end up with a worse situation. Appreciate the comments about the white replacement frames. That is probably the most reasonable color choice. Maybe leaving the shutters green will keep the cohesion?

Agreed on the landscaping but I just moved in a couple weeks ago. There are some internal (kitchen and bathrooms are a mess) and systemic issues that need to be addressed first. A little at a time!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last month

Wood windows can be fixed, vinyl windows have a twenty year life span. If you are set on replacement windows (have you priced out repair?) only replace the key windows with aluminum clad wood windows that match what you have. All the small accent windows can stay and this way you can keep your painted trim. House is too charming for vinyl windows.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

IMO no matter what when old windows finally fail fixing does not give you double paned or anything else . I would look at a color not pure white for sure. The most imporatnt is the style of the window and if budget was not an issue I would aluminum clad wood . This will be an expensive undertaking no matter what . Look for a white that is close to the color of the entry stone and I agree keep the green trim and shutters.

• apple_pie_order
    last month

Gorgeous house. If you upload a photo of the inside and outside of a typical window, along with rough dimensions (in case they turn out to be standard sizes), that would help with comments on style and type of replacement windows. Sometimes old windows are held together with paint.

terrhess thanked apple_pie_order
  • Kendrah
    last month

Stunning house. As you narrow down your options, it is worth it to pay someone to mock up renderings of your home with different colored windows and with the different types of windows you are choosing from. It is too big of a cost and impacts the look of your house too much to leave it up to your mind's eye. White stands out to me as a not great choice. I'm perhap rather black. But, you've got to see it to know.

Also, take a long walk around your neighborhood and see how others have handled window repairs. Don't be afraid to slip some notes into mailboxes introducing yourself with your contact info and ask if you can talk to them about who they used and how they decided on repair and/or replacement.

I did this when I moved in to a neighborhood with 170 year old homes. Everyone is in the same boat, and my neighbors were very glad to share information. When I restored our shutters, five neighbors asked me the contractor's info.

• terrhess
    Original Author
    last month

Such great suggestions...thank you! The most consistent idea, regardless of new versus repairing or white versus black or aluminum versus vinyl versus wood:

You're gonna live with the results. Take Your Time; Consider Every Option; Don't Act Rashly. SO helpful :)

Thank you all!!!

• Kendrah
    last month

Here are pics of homes with similar-ish features as yours and have new windows. (Sorry, none with shutters, which is a big part of your look.) Still, perhaps these will help you start to imagine what you do and don't like about new windows on an old house.

Having lived in a very old house, we often felt it was cooler to NOT open windows and leave them closed with blinds. Hot air blowing in on hot days wasn't great. This is not to say you should live with inoperable windows. But, maybe you can kick the change down the curb and have the replacement done in the fall or even next spring if you have more time or savings to spend on it then. It is a rather major investiment and you want to do it right.

• terrhess
    Original Author
    last month

@Kendrah Holy Moly! These pics are incredibly helpful!!! Thank you. As I wait on all the bids to come in and for actual updates and fixes to happen, maybe I feel the need to see some kind of progress. Windows are probably not the place to rush, just because I can get them done quicker than everything else. I knew this home would be a project, but I want the end result to be one that the home deserves, as well as one I'd be happy with. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

• terrhess
    Original Author
    last month

@apple pie order - I uploaded WAY too many inside pics pf the windows, as you suggested. The white ones are upstairs (generally) the brown ones are downstairs. Each window originally had both a fitted screen and fitted extra window pane, probably for insulation. Most do not fit well any longer and many are too fragile to put back in. In theory, the windows open with the individual cranks and the "arms" push the windows open at the bottom. But you can tell the wood is not in good shape and none of them cranks open easily (without forcing them) at this point. I love the idea, but they are likely either past their prime or it would be really expensive to repair the wood frames and reglaze.

• Kendrah
    last month

You are welcome @terrhess. I have lived in old homes and think of them as little old men. You have to go to a gazillion doctors appointments for different parts of the body that are breaking down. Some things you fix preemptively, some you wait until they are positively unusable and in need of repair. Much of it is spent on things that keep the guts functioning but you'd never even know on the surface. It is a different pace, different way to balance priorities, and a different kind of budget you are work with when your house is an old man rather than a kid, teenager, or middle aged guy!

I have seen rotting wood windows in much worse shape than yours. Though, I know its not much comfort! Your old interior storm windows are fantastic. The window trim and sills look like they are in really good condition.

I think you should get quotes for the entire range of options including at least two or three quotes for the full rehab of the old windows. We had 6 pairs of gigantic old original shutters on the front of our house. Some contractors said get all new ones that are replicas, some said repair them all. We got two new and the others repaired. The guy we went with was many, many thousands of dollars less than other quotes. These kinds of things can vary wildly from one contractor to the next.

Lastly, you may be able to get green energy tax credits for repairing old windows since you have storm windows involved.

terrhess thanked Kendrah
  • la_la Girl
    last month

Great advice from Kendrah - another source of intell could be Facebook - our historic ’hood has a very active FB group and everyone is always sharing good resources for this type of work (the hilarious/panicked ”bat removal” posts are the best 😅) Enjoy your lovely home!

• terrhess
    Original Author
    last month

All of you have been tremendously helpful. Thank you so very much!!

• Kate Cowers
    last month

You never mentioned which particular windows you are getting quotes for.

• terrhess
    Original Author
    29 days ago

@Kate Cowers - All of them (25), except the two small ones near the front door and the one above the front door.

• apple_pie_order
    29 days ago

Thanks for window photos. It looks like the windows have various conditions, not all falling apart simultaneously.

Please post an update when you have quotes for various options.

• Kate Cowers
    29 days ago

@terrhess: sorry, I actually meant what window companies are you looking at. :-)

• terrhess
    Original Author
    29 days ago

The local window companies are using products from Kolbe (both a fiberglass and a wood/aluminum product option), and from Vinyl Kraft...much cheaper, but it seems you get what you pay for.

• Kendrah
    29 days ago

What area do you live in?

• terrhess
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Central Illinois

• Izzy Mn
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

If you can afford it I've read that the fiberglass ones are way better than vinyl. You can get crank out windows. I have one in my home. I have sliders in all on my windows but for ease of opening the one over the kitchen sink I got a double crank out (single would have been too big) My original windows were sliders but I really wanted double hung but the opening were to big and would have had to install two double hinges in each opening.

I wonder if a black or bronze (or black) wouldn't look better on the outside of your home. You may be able to get white on inside/bronze on outside. My sister has Anderson windows that are white vinyl on the outside, real wood on the inside. She did have to stain the wood herself. She has had them for about 35 years and they are in good shape.

terrhess thanked Izzy Mn
  • beeboo22
    28 days ago

Beautiful house! Do you have DIY skills at all? My husband and I are rehabbing our casement windows one at a time. It’s time intensive but not hard. We learned everything from online resources.

We got an estimate for replacing one large picture window and it was 8 grand for an equivalent of the wood frame original.

terrhess thanked beeboo22
  • einportlandor
    28 days ago

I found a company that rehabs old windows and doors -- that's all they do. I wanted to maintain as many of the original features of my 1928 English cottage as possible so I hired them and am glad I did. For me the alternative would have been VERY expensive new windows because I couldn't stand the thought of most of the products on the market.

Walking around my neighborhood of older homes, the ones that have the most charm still have original windows and doors. Old houses are definitely a labor of love (and not cheap to own). Enjoy your new home - it's gorgeous!

terrhess thanked einportlandor