Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rose_pekelnicky

Best paint brand

Rose Pekelnicky
last month

I am looking for recommendations of a good paint brand and type for my kitchen. I want a satin finish and was thinking either something Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore.

Comments (10)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    last month

I've tried more than one I've found good - right now my fav is probably Ben Moore. Their Fresh Start primer is a huge help to me on projects, prep work.

In this smaller coastal community, availability plays into it. My all time favorite paint for coverage and washable results is probably Pratt and Lambert eggshell and there are no longer any local vendors. When I'm in the middle of a project I'll find myself making trips back and forth to the paint store so a drive to accomplish that isn't practical.

I've used Behr for a couple of outdoor things and their higher priced line isn't awful, produced perfectly acceptable results. I am not particularly a fan of SW but that could be a local issue too. I do not like to go into a paint store and find I know more about paint than the staff being paid to help me.

Rose Pekelnicky thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • nicole___
    last month

I use SW "Super Paint". It's got better coverage than the average paint.

Here's a review: https://dengarden.com/home-improvement/My-Review-of-Sherwin-Williams-Super-Paint-Interior-and-Exterior

Rose Pekelnicky thanked nicole___
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    last month

Love Sherwin Williams. But I bet they're comparable. I agree with Nicole, good coverage. I find that important.

Rose Pekelnicky thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • chloebud
    last month

We’ve used Sherwin Wms, Ben Moore and Dunn Edwards. Happy with all.

Rose Pekelnicky thanked chloebud
  • Kendrah
    last month

SW and Ben Moore have varying lines of paint from less expensive contractor grade that doesn't cover as well and will require more coats, to higher end lines that are more expensive and have much better coverage and wear. I have used Benjamin Moore Aura and been pleased. I have also used Farrow and Ball's new dead flat, which is highly washable and been pleased.

I think of satin as pretty shiny for wall paint. Is that what you want on the walls, and what is driving that decision?

Rose Pekelnicky thanked Kendrah
  • PRO
    PPF.
    last month

for my kitchen

Walls, trim, cabinets?

Rose Pekelnicky thanked PPF.
  • Rose Pekelnicky
    Original Author
    last month

I am just painting the walls.

• Lars
    last month

I like Pratt & Lambert for the quality of paint, but I've found better color selections at Sherwin Williams, and so I like them for that.

I've found that Behr paint does not cover as well as P&L, and so you have to use more of it.

Rose Pekelnicky thanked Lars
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last month
    last modified: last month

In my kitchen I used Clark & Kensington Paint + Primer (Ace Hardware) satin on my walls. That was in 2013, and the paint has withstood regular washing (I don't have any backsplash, so behind the stove particularly gets washed with dish detergent about monthly, more often if I've been frying or sauteing). It still looks great.

I've been happy with Valspar as well. The painter used Sherwin Williams (semi-gloss, which he questioned, but that was the look I wanted, like woodwork) to paint the pine paneling in my FR and that also was fine - I don't remember the exact type of S-W though.

I agree with kculbers, washing the walls first will give better results. I've always used TSP (my box of it is ancient now!)

Rose Pekelnicky thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH