Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

House buyers LOVE this

dedtired
14 days ago

Settlement for my mom’s house is on Wednesday. You’ll be hearing a lot more about that journey soon.

The buyers came by yesterday to meet me and talk about the house. They are terrific and i could not be happier.

The house is mcm and here is a picture of one of the things they love the most —the wallpaper in a closet! They were crazy for it. I have learned a ton about what people like and don’t like. This has been quite an experience.

Comments (29)

• sushipup2
    14 days ago

LOL! Same thing happened with my neighbor. His house, built in 1969, had only one owner. The older gentleman apparently died while shopping at Acme one day. Anyway, Chuck moved in 6 months before we bought our house, and when we visited, he showed us his closet, same colors but in stripes.

Congrats on the progress in your journey. Now we can get together for lunch some day!

dedtired thanked sushipup2
  • 3katz4me
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

So happy to hear everything is coming along for you. That is sweet - wallpaper love.

dedtired thanked 3katz4me
  • Jilly
    14 days ago

I love it, too! I’d never change it.

I’m so glad you like the buyers. :)

dedtired thanked Jilly
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 days ago

I do love it! I guess it's like I was talking about earlier this week?? It's so old, it's new again!!! Actually wallpapers is very expensive these days, so don't remove it. Besides which it's so happy 🥰

I mean good luck on this settlement! I look forward to hearing the journey.

dedtired thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    14 days ago

That wallpaper was one of the last things i thought anyone would like. Its just so funny to see things through other people’s eyes.

Sushi, yes yes! It won't be long before we can do lunch. Looking forward to it.

• maire_cate
    14 days ago

I am so happy for you! I hope you have a bottle of champagne cooling in your refrigerator so you can celebrate when you return home. Or better yet - go out to dinner.

I'm looking forward to hearing all about the sale......and the buyers. I'm trying to guess their age judging by their love of the closet wallpaper and I honestly do not have a clue either.

dedtired thanked maire_cate
  • Fun2BHere
    14 days ago

I love that I have lived long enough to see some of the cycles of decor and fashion. It’s a fascinating journey. Congratulations and best wishes for a smooth closing to you both.

dedtired thanked Fun2BHere
  • rubyclaire
    14 days ago

Congratulations and I just love that you like the new owners! The couple who bought our previous home have stayed in touch and bring their little ones around every Halloween for trick or treating in our new neighborhood. Something very comforting in knowing your much loved home is still loved by the new owners.

ETA: And LOVE the wallpaper! I think I had a mini dress made of a similar fabric back in the day.

dedtired thanked rubyclaire
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    14 days ago

I love it too - right up my alley - and I'm an old geezer 😄

Wishing you all the best going forward.

dedtired thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • vgkg Z-7 Va
    14 days ago

That design reminds me of the Laugh-In Wall, wonder if it dates back to those sock-it-to me days? Congrats on the sale!

dedtired thanked vgkg Z-7 Va
  • Olychick
    14 days ago

I love that your mom put that wallpaper in a closet! It looks pristine and how nice the new owners will embrace it. I'm sure your mom's smiling down on them (if that's possible, lol).

dedtired thanked Olychick
  • Judi
    14 days ago

It' so 70s. I love it!

dedtired thanked Judi
  • jmck_nc
    14 days ago

We had very similar wallpaper in our kitchen when I was growing up in the Chicago suburbs in the 70's. That one is cuter though. Glad you are finally through this chapter.

dedtired thanked jmck_nc
  • matthias_lang
    14 days ago

Isn't this wall paper upside down? The stems and leaves are oriented downward. That said, I like it as a cheerful surprise in a closet, but I would not care for a whole room covered in it.

dedtired thanked matthias_lang
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Matthias, that is so funny. It IS upside down! I know my mom hung it herself and its always been hidden behind coats and hats so no one noticed.

I wish I could remember when she put this wallpaper up. Every other closet is just plain white inside. I guess Mom was feeling groovy one day.

Here it is flipped over. I am dying laughing. I think I won’t point it out to the new buyers although they seem to have a great sense of humor.

Thanks for all your nice words.

• Lars
    14 days ago

I think having it upside down is a nice touch - I would not have noticed that without being told - leaves often droop downward.

While the colors look 70s, the pattern looks like it is from the 50s, but then patterns are often repeated 20 years later in different colors. If I had to guess, I would say that it is from the 1960s.

dedtired thanked Lars
  • nicole___
    14 days ago

I'm glad you like the new owners and they are keeping a part of the houses history...the wallpaper. It does say "flower power"...and happy...!

dedtired thanked nicole___
  • OutsidePlaying
    14 days ago

Groovy! Congrats on the sale!

dedtired thanked OutsidePlaying
  • colleenoz
    14 days ago

Upside down it looks like it is raining flowers :-D

dedtired thanked colleenoz
  • Elmer J Fudd
    14 days ago

It does look upside down. I'm not a home design guru but I don't think something like that was ever really "in style" or popular, other than in places like Haight Ashbury or on dorm room walls. If it was a DIY job, such a mistake suggests the perp had the same lack of decorating moxie as me. Though, I would have seen which way was up.

• Rho Dodendron
    14 days ago

Yes! I too love your buyers. I have had a contractor mock me for saving the 1973 avocado green floor in my front closet. I just know someone will appreciate it someday. We now appreciate the heavy dark woodwork of early 1900 homes for the vintage character so why not 1970's character?

Your wallpaper colors are the same as a stripped sheet set Mom bought for me 1972 with S & H green stamps no less. I took those sheets to college dorm rooms and eventually my own children loved them into rags.

Best wishes to you closing on the house.

dedtired thanked Rho Dodendron
  • colleenoz
    14 days ago

When we redid our bathroom, I chose some strip tiles to make a strip along the top and down the side of the tiles on the wall above the bathtub. The tiles had seashells painted on them.

The tiler did the top strip then commenced to go down the side. He called me in to see if that was how I wanted them. I looked hard and felt there was something not quite right and asked him to place the side tiles the other way up, which I liked, and he finished the tiling.

A few days later when in my new bathroom, looking at the tiles, I realised what had been wrong. The seashells had small shadows on the bottom right edge, and the way the tiler had originally placed the side tiles, the shadow was on the top. Turning the tiles put the shadow on the bottom so they looked right.

dedtired thanked colleenoz
  • lily316
    14 days ago

I'll date that for you. In 1971 we bought a half-built house and for the main bath that had no windows, I picked a wallpaper so much like that, gold formica counters and a yellow hexagonal tile floor. At least I had a white tub and toilet but the family always jokes about my colorful themed bathroom. But it's cute what your mom did.

dedtired thanked lily316
  • chisue
    13 days ago

I'm sure I considered that wallpaper for my kitchen when I had the St Charles Kitchen *steel cabinets* spray painted *orange* and removed the stainless steel counter top that ran the width of the room. I even had orange stoneware plates -- and a butcher block kitchen table. This was mid seventies. I still have some of the Corningware pots from the then-new glass cooktop. I think the fridge with in-the-door water and ice was a new thing too.

After we'd moved in, neighbors told us that the original owner -- before our seller -- was paranoid. She had all the electric switches reversed "to confuse 'them'". If you wanted to turn on the east lights in the LR, the switch was on the west side of the room, etc. She took a hammer to the yellow tile in the MBA, looking for microphones. The replacement tiles were just a tad different color. When we replaced the furnace we found $20 bills hidden in the ductwork.

dedtired thanked chisue
  • czarinalex
    13 days ago

Our first house was purchased in 1980 and was built in 1961. It was a tiny ranch in the very upper NYC suburbs. It had a very similar wallpaper in the only bathroom. Could have been this exact pattern; I'm not positive. Not only on the walls but on the ceiling as well! We took it down within a week of purchasing the house.

dedtired thanked czarinalex
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Maire, i remember dresses like that and go-go boots. I wish my pictures of past wallpaper in my kitchens were not buried in boxes.I had something similar in an apartment, in the 1960s and later in my house. Funny how things go around.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 days ago

What nice karma to have people you like as the new owners of your family home. I'm happy for you.

The design is giving me contact paper vibes! My sister had wallpaper in her room in a very similar pattern, but royal blue, lime and purple. Ahh, the things parents put up with!

dedtired thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • maddielee
    13 days ago

Congrats on the sale!

Caftan that I really like. Inspired by the wallpaper?

dedtired thanked maddielee