Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zahra_rao64

Which layout for the laundry room?

Zahra Rao
last month
last modified: last month

I am trying to figure out the best layout for maximum storage and function for this small laundry room i have attached two potential ideas but if anyone has any other ideas please let me know. The skinny area next to where the stacked laundry machine will go is tricky to design around.

Comments (15)

• Jenny
    last month

My thoughts: the first choice, those corner cabinets will become a black hole and not used. You're allowing 12" aisle space to get back in there. It's been a LOOONNNG time since I could squeeze in a space like that.

Your second choice is definitely better. If you use a sink a lot in a laundry room, I would keep that unit but lose what is to the left of it, and get the storage back in the tall cabinets. Otherwise you are spending more money to get the same amount of storage. If you're wanting a folding counter, consider a rolling table that you can take out to access the tall cabinet.

Regarding stacking units, I have the second version in the house we just purchased. It is about the same cost as "real" washers and dryers and does a terrible job of cleaning clothes, and has a very small capacity. You might consider the LG Washtower. I thought about it long and hard, but had room for two units side by side and ended up choosing that. I will go to a laundromat rather than use that second type of machine again.

• ptreckel
    last month

Is that a shower curb? Why? How will anyone be able to service your washer if it cannot be lifted out of that space? Especially if it has a dryer stacked above it? Do you have enough width for side to side appliances? If you get side to side, you will need space for the doors to swing open to both sides. That might preclude a cabinet to the right of the door.

• L R
    last month

2nd one with long cabinets beside w/d.

• jackowskib
    last month

The layouts look way too tight. Do you have a strong preference to have stacked machines? If not, consider getting stand alone front loaders. After all, laundry is the purpose of the space. I looked at stacked units recently and found it difficult to reach the top unit easily, and would find the lower one way to low for comfort. Having a sink is nice but maybe not necessary. A nice counter can be wrapped above two front loaders, along with reachable cabinets above.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

Both are trully awkward at best . We need the actual measurements of the space and IMO if you have the room do not do stacked that way you will have a space for folding clothes and room for some storage overhead all accessible . BTW I have never had a laundry sink in my life and have never missed one and with the new washers you really do not need one the cycles can handle all issues.So post a to scale floor plan show every measurements clearly post here in jpeg format in a comment DO NOT start anotehr post . I aslo suggest you think long and hard about what needs to be stored here .

• bpath
    last month

Try a new word. Replace ”maximize” with ”optimize”. You want storage that suits what you plan to store, can possibly store things you don’t yet know you need to store, and importantly, storage that you can and will access and use, to put things away and to retrieve them.

Perhaps you are expecting too much from this small space. Besides laundry, what else is going on in here? Is this where you keep general cleaning supplies, hence need to prepare and clean your cleaning tools, rags, swiffer supplies, buckets, cleaning solutions? What about general textile care, like ironing, steaming clothes, etc? or cleaning muddy boots?

Are items and activities unrelated to laundry and household cleaning going to be here?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

You can't get a decent plan without the exact feet and inches for the space within the WALLS.

On paper, two dimensions only. Feet and inches.

You have nowhere enough room for what you are cramming into the space.

Show the surrounding area as well........

Whatever the shower pan was? You REMOVE it.

• armjim
    last month

Just wanted to comment about the shower pan-if it is large enough for a washer/dryer to fit in, it might be practical to leave it since there appears to be a drain there, and it may help with washer leaks.

• Zahra Rao
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you for the comments. the curb/drain was required by our inspector in order for it to pass inspection, it was made to fit the LG Qthin stacked washer dryer which is already purchased. A side by side would not have fit in this space. This house is a flip house so i wont be the one living in it.

Perhaps i stick to the drawing where the counter extends the whole length (from sink to back wall) remove the uppers and put in open shelving ? the open space under the counter could be a place to put mop buckets etc. (things that wont be reached for very often)

• ffpalms
    last month

That space to the right looks like a perfect spot to park the vacuum cleaner, with space behind it for other cleaning tools hung on the wall.

• apple_pie_order
    last month

Put in the sink and short open shelves above it. The new owners will be able to decide for themselves how to use the empty space while ensuring they can pull out the stacked washer and dryer for service.

• bpath
    last month

How do the machines get pulled out for servicing and cleaning the dryer vent, with the permanent curb in the way?

• ptreckel
    last month

My point, exactly, bpath! How could any reasonable inspector “require” that to pass inspection????? A drain, yes. A plastic liner with an alarm on it, yes. But a shower curb????

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

The guy is full of you know what. Get rid of the curb!!! He is just plain lazy and you got the snow job.

For gods sake, people put washer stacks on a second floor in a CLOSET!!!!

You still haven't posted a drawing with measure , door way etc. Keep GUESSING: ) what will work best.