Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zipster2000

Garage doors - white or dark, with or without windows?

zipster2000
last month
last modified: last month

We’re updating our kitchen to modern european design, our deck faces a lake and we’ve been striving for a contemporary look.

The siding is Benjamin Moore rockport gray (HC105). The roof color must stay as is due to HOA requirements. The deck flooring and railing are walnut brown.

Here’s a photo of our house as is. The next two photos show a mockup with the new front door we’re considering, one with a white garage door and one with a dark garage door with windows.

We like the glass-panel front door style but are very confused about what to do for the garage.

If we choose dark garage doors, should they be the same color as the front door, or darker or lighter?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Current photo above

Mockup with a new front door and a CHI garage door. Not sure which CHI color this is.

Mockup with a new front door and a white panel garage door.

Comments (13)

• susan49417
    last month

I prefer the dark garage doors with the new front door.

zipster2000 thanked susan49417
  • arcy_gw
    last month

LOVE the dark door's design but safety first--no windows. :(

zipster2000 thanked arcy_gw
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    last month

You have 2 front doors. It’s confusing and 2 different doors next to each other doesn’t work. The garage doors should be painted the same color as the house and should have windows.

zipster2000 thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

The house is not MCM so IMO the MCM door does not work . I always have glass in my front door and really I have never felt unsafe with it. I think a nice plain door in the same type style as the windows could work I always like windows in a garge door but IMO the garage door is not a decor item and needs to be more invisible not in your face colored.

zipster2000 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • zipster2000
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks, @ShadyWillowFarm. The 2nd door is our trash closet. We were thinking of replacing it with a simple flat panel door and painting it the siding color so it will disappear.

• zipster2000
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks, Jan Moyer. Is this the kind of door you're thinking of? Also, regarding the garage doors, I understand why painting them the house siding color will keep things harmonious, but I don't like the look. Any other suggestions? Thank you!

• acm
    last month

I don't understand why "white" so badly matches your trim. What color is your trim??

zipster2000 thanked acm
  • zipster2000
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks, acm. I think it's just a cut & paste from screen shot and photo discrepancy. I think the white garage door will match the white trim in reality.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

I'm trying to understand why a white garage door would be better than harmoniously, "disappearing" as part of the house: )

zipster2000 thanked JAN MOYER
  • zipster2000
    Original Author
    last month

Jan, when I mock it up, this is what it looks like. Not so great a look, even when I mess with different window configurations.

• pkpk23
    last month

Also paint the garage door trim same as house color. Front facing garage doors overpower a house if different color.

zipster2000 thanked pkpk23
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    last month

Why do you need a trash closet next to the front door? Bears? It just throws me for a loop, and messes with the front entry. I would do whatever it takes to make it blend in with the front door and the rest of the house.