Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_431508261

How would you use these shallow shelves?

dlcarole
last month

I’m sure you creative types will have lots of ideas for how we can use these shelves. Our millwork company build a custom solution for the awkward and sloping space created by a dormer in the principal bedroom of our 100 year old home. We now have a beautiful, functional closet space with pullouts and a display shelf on one side, and two double sections with drawers where the depth permitted. The millwork “pushes” into the room, which resulted in these shallow shelves. The open space is 4 1/2” deep by 22 1/2 wide. We have 15 moveable shelves, each 4 1/8”x22 1/4”.

We already removed shelves from one section, as hanging space for robes. I picked up a couple bins that could fit socks or underwear, and some adjustable tension rods to try them for bracing clothes like workout wear. I wondered about jewelry storage but haven’t problem-solved the big needed to hang or hold things. My kids think we should make each section a shrine to them, but I suspect you’ll have better ideas!

Comments (12)

• Yvonne Martin
    last month

Shoes, socks, bras, underpants, scarves, rolled T-shirts and sweaters, jewelry, cosmetics, hair dryer and curlers, computer accessories & phone and watch chargers, purses, belts, hats, mittens and gloves, covid masks, contraceptives, .. I would fill those drawers! They might need lables however.

• bpath
    last month

I had a closet where I put a small chest of drawers under one end of the clothes rod, and I hung my necklaces and bracelets with a clasp, right on the rod. Other jewelry in boxes in the top drawer of the chest or on top. But that rod was my favorite way to store necklaces: easy to see and select, no tangling at all. Perhaps you could use one of the tension rods that way?

• dlcarole
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks, Yvonne, I appreciate your suggestions! The drawers are filled with clothes (& nicely organized by type, I may say!). The challenge is the shelves. Any ideas for vertical jewelry organizers? Fortunately I have lots of storage in the bathrooms for hair stuff, and big drawers near the back door for our copious outerwear collection (Canada, eh?!). Some clothes stays put if it’s not too floppy or fits in a bin, but the shallow bins tend to waste end space as they’re designed for fridge storage!

• acm
    last month

I mean, what do you have that you wish had a home? Shoe boxes turned sideways? Or take out the shelves and have a wire shoe rack instead? A collection of purses? Rolled scarves or belts? Smaller jewelry pieces in boxes, that you don't wear that often? Cassette tapes you listen to in secret, with a skinny boom box to use for that?

Maybe mix in a couple of knick-knacks that make you smile to bump across, but even shallow space can be used! Heck, if nothing else, use it for extra toiletries, like when you have to get a 2-pack of your favorite shampoo, or the big listerine you use to fill the one in your medicine cabinet. Some of these may seem ridiculous, but perhaps a few will suggest a new idea for you! :)

• dlcarole
    Original Author
    last month

The secret listening sessions suggestion made me smile! Jewelry is the main thing that doesn't have a decent home at present. (Scarves are a possibility tho they're living their best life in a shoe organizer). We added a lot of functional storage in funky locations in this renovation - just takes thinking outside the box to imagine the potential. (The robe hooks were a friend's suggestion that worked great with Command Hooks). Cheers!

• happyleg
    last month

I'm guessing that that's in a bathroom and you could put towels washcloths hand towels and products in there

• dlcarole
    Original Author
    last month

It’s in the bedroom, actually.

• happyleg
    last month

A floor length mirror on right corner of that last pic.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last month

I like the idea of removing some of the shelves to put up hooks on the back wall for belts, bags, or jewelry. Or remove a few to put in a mirror, if you like to check your looks without going in the bathroom. Can you sneak an outlet in there? They'd be a great place for phone recharging too.

• pkpk23
    last month

I use small picture hangers on the side wall of my closet for necklaces and bracelets- handy and ends tangling .

• Din Tompson
    last month

Hi there. I think these shelves would be great for small hygiene products, bottles and jars that need to be placed.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH