Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_claire26

Period specific design pros 1920s/30s/woodworkers?

Jessica Claire
2 months ago

Hello!
Our original woodworker took the money and ran. The original plan with marquetry is no longer an option. I'm hoping someone might be able to glance at this dilemma and share their thoughts. I'm leaning toward a walnut burl, bookmatching, at minimum, the sink base doors. Ignore the drawer glide configuration. It will be 2/3/3/2. Where door/drawer faces are a consideration, the dimensions are 9' wide and 2' tall. There will be a high gloss, clear finish. Additionally, if we do go with a walnut burl, there will need to be a low/med/high figure selection (halp). Any opinions welcome and many thank yous in advance.

Comments (11)

• Jessica Claire
    Original Author
    2 months ago

• Jessica Claire
    Original Author
    2 months ago

• Jessica Claire
    Original Author
    2 months ago

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Search locally .....which is what location ?

Jessica Claire thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 months ago

You need to find a new local professional willing to take on a partially complete job and have him create some samples. I don’t see a question we can help you with.

Jessica Claire thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago

I have no clue what it is your are doing.Not pics of the choices you want and the description does not help. Post a pics here of what the wood looks like , what your space looks like and do not do one thing until you get this figured out . Burled wood of any kind is hugely expensive and walnut for sure, I cannot imagine a high gloss finish for cabinets thta will be too fancy style wise for that . Slab doors are IMO the only ones that look good in high gloss and this looks like you are just replacing doors so I need a lot more info.

Jessica Claire thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • la_la Girl
    2 months ago

Agree with @hallett - I would find the best person you can locally (you will likely need to wait 6-8 months for them as the best ones are booked up) and figure out with them what works best and what they’re interested and willing to do

Jessica Claire thanked la_la Girl
  • Jessica Claire
    Original Author
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and questions.

The original woodworker absconded in Sept. It's taken me that long calling around town, and outside of town, to find a cabinet company willing to help us out-no luck whatsoever finding someone skilled in veneer craftsmanship. There are a couple of other woodworkers here in Rochester, MN, however they don't work with veneer.

At this point, I'm grateful a local cabinet company took pity on us and is willing to help us get the project completed. They (traditional wood builders inc.) don't offer nonstandard veneers, however they were agreeable to working with an alternate supplier that does. I have gotten comfortable with the idea of foregoing the marquetry on the sink base doors. I think there's a reasonable amount of decorative detailing (fluting) on the base cabinets as-is. Fluting + bookmatched veneers = close enough.

I think my primary questions or concerns are more directed toward people familiar with veneers.
    In use, with a lacquer finish, what is the actual difference between a high and medium figured walnut burl?
    Would either option be a better companion to the stone for a particular reason?
    I have a photo of the high figured walnut burl from the veneer company (oakwood veneer)-waiting on a medium for comparison.

Will the walnut burl be so dark, even in the well lit bathroom, that you won't be able to appreciate the figures? I think something like the camphorwood burl is a little too loud for the space in conjunction with the green quartzite top.

Many thanks.

Pics high figure walnut

Medium camphorwood and high fig walnut

The proper door configuration (NOT hardware)

A shower wall where there's now a runtal radiator (i.e. a lot of wavy, swirling motion between the countertop and walls/floor)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 months ago

So all you are asking is which burl pattern we like better? I like the lightest ‘two tone’ one presuming you will stain it so the darkest area matches the frame of your vanity the. You will have the lighter area for contrast.

Jessica Claire thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • Kendrah
    2 months ago

If you are asking for which pattern we like better, I like the darker two tone one because there will be less contrast. Just the opposite of Hallett's reasoning;) Your stone has a lot of movement and I think too much contrast within the wood will look too chaotic with the stone movement.

Jessica Claire thanked Kendrah