Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rezo_pakhi

furniture placement in living room with too many doorways

Rezo Pakhi
2 months ago

Hello! I’m moving into a home and the living room has like 3-4 open ways / doors that connect to the bedrooms, kitchen. I have no idea how to place my furniture. Need some serious help and design ideas!

Let me know if more pictures are needed!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Draw and measure your space please. All the walls, windows, doorways. Feet and inches. Upload it as a jpeg in a comment below

• ptreckel
    2 months ago

A challenging space. Do you know if you have any floor outlets for lamps under your wall to wall carpet. As Beverly, above notes, everything will need to be “floated” in the room except your entertainment unit which will be best on the wall she indicates (NOT over your fireplace.). Do you have furniture you are trying to place in the room? As Beverly indicates, smaller furniture will work best. And will be more versatile for you and your growing family (I note a stroller in the dining area!).

• Rezo Pakhi
    Original Author
    last month

Hii peoples! I finally got the measurements of this room! (Although after drawing out the floor plan, I feel like I’m missing some measurements! Ugh) Anyways, I hope this will do and will help you guys to help me! (Thank you sooo much btw!) My brain is a big mush with all the things we need to do for this home! So I could really use all the help I can get! Let me know if you need any other information! There are no outlets under the carpet, just electric outlets on the walls though.

• Rezo Pakhi
    Original Author
    last month

@beverlyfladeziner where did you create the floor plan btw? I ended up just taking it back old skool and using pen & paper but really wish I could have easily drawn it on an app!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Show the rest of your rooms. Perhaps a dining room is better for tv and this becomes a dining room.

Horrible space , really : )

• freedomplace1
    last month
    last modified: last month

If there is a designated dining room that could be used as LR/tv room, that might be something to consider, but this room can work, too.

You can face a sofa to the fireplace; and I like the idea of a sofa with two swivel chairs facing each other. You could hang the tv on the wall over the fireplace, on a drop down mount. Or, you could place the tv on top of a console, to the right of fireplace; alternatively,, you could put a tv in a tv lift cabinet, in same location. Then, over the fireplace, you could hang art. I don’t recommend paper/canvas art of any great monetary or sentimental value to be hung over a fire. But art that is not so precious... or metal art is also a great option. A mirror over the fireplace could be another nice option, and is an auspicious Feng Shui practice; if you chose that option in this case, I would suggest using a vase with flowers or a plant on the mantel, placed in a position where the mirror will refiect it.

A few visuals/general ideas Please excuse my scribble. :)

ETA:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ogIlWb24G_A

• freedomplace1
    last month

Keep in mind, it would have to be a very slim tv console or very slim lift cabinet with the entry on that side.

And for the tv over fireplace, here is info for a drop down mount. Amazon carries this MantelMount line, also.

https://www.mantelmount.com/

• Rezo Pakhi
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you so much everyone for such insightful ideas! We’re moving in soon, so let’s see what I can make of this space!

Also can yall recommend what kind of lighting I can add to this living room? It’s so dark! I love me a very well lit bright room! We are planning to replace the fan/light with a Different light fixture but wondering if I should have recessed lights installed as well!

My one main concern is one part of the ceiling is angled and then the other part is flat. How would that impact lighting direction (rather how can I remedy that issue!)

• Rezo Pakhi
    Original Author
    last month

Yall are so freaking awesome btw

• PRO
    Douglah Designs
    5 days ago

It looks like you should easily be able to do either two sofas or a sofa and two chairs. Here are some images from some of our living room designs that could help you more with your current dilemma.

Modern Farmhouse Rebuild · More Info

Wine Country Charm · More Info