Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_619233545

Designing a dining room

Srishti S
2 months ago

I would like design recommendations for my dining room. I would like to increase storage space, possibly with a sideboard/buffet. But I would also like some space to display items. I’m willing to get rid of the display cabinet.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (7)

• Rho Dodendron
    2 months ago

• Paul F.
    2 months ago

Yes, I think it is time to update the space. Can we see your livingroom furniture?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I have no clue as to your style since the table and rug look modern and the cabinet not so much. IMO the days of displaying your china and glassware is past. What are you wanting to display? I would probably add a nice long buffet on the wall where the diplay cabinet is add a fabulous piece of art above the buffet and maybe a lamp on one side a nd a nice orchid plant real of course . Drapes on the window and IMO not the blinds at all. If you need to control heat and UV then a solar shade that allows the view during the day and the drapes give you privacy at night , thye also give a toucjh of luxury IMO .

• Srishti S
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Patricia: I agree with you on the display cabinet. It was hand me down piece of furniture but I’m okay getting rid of it. I love the idea of a long buffet with artwork on top—I was thinking of the same thing.

• freedomplace1
    2 months ago

From my perspective, mixing antique style pieces with more modern pieces can add a lot of interest and style to a space. I like your display cabinet. If you have room elsewhere in the space for the buffet/sideboard - you could keep the display cabinet, and use wallpaper or fabric, etc. on the back of the shelves That would really open up the space, as well as give the piece a bit more of a ”modern” feel. You have plenty of room in that piece to display whatever you’d like.

There are ideas here for doing this, using foam board; so it won’t damage your piece, is easy to install, is easily removed, easily changed, etc.

https://www.polishedhabitat.com/fabric-bookcase-back/

• Kendrah
    2 months ago

Fabulous, eclectic, handsome room so far. What kinds of objects do you want to display? Could you do a long buffet with art above and sit a few objects on the buffet that you rotate out occasionally?

Tall piece doesn’t do much in the space.

• PRO
    Douglah Designs
    15 days ago

It's hard to tell what type of design you're looking for. We do really like your rug and table. If you're looking to add more storage you could try a buffet to replace the hutch and even a console table if you have the room. You could also look at doing built-in storage. Below are some of the dining rooms we have recently done for our clients which might give you more ideas.

Modern Farmhouse Rebuild · More Info

Scandinavian Delight · More Info

Traditional Renovation: Dining Room · More Info