Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim_elliott39

Apartment with med-low natural light - colour & style ideas

Tim Elliott
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

Hi everyone,

First time poster here (let me know if I have broken any rules).

I'm about to move back into an apartment I purchased years ago as an investment property. It's looking a bit tired/dated and I wanted to freshen it up without spending too much.

BEFORE PHOTOS:

The apartment is fairly big for Aussie, but only gets indirect natural light due to a deep balcony. It is very simple with Lexicon half walls, and beige carpet throughout (there is some texture/mottling in the carpet). Walls have a ceiling scotia and a fairly large skirting board. Photos:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B14532ODW8xH1Lc

Objective:

I want to elevate its look and lighten it up by converting it a more 'modern classic' style with light furniture, some gold and navy accents to bring contrast and reflection in. This is my Pinterest board: https://www.pinterest.com/timelliott90/wentworth-point/

Plan:

1. Flooring: Thinking to get timber floorboards installed in the open plan living/dining area. Deciding between oak or blackbutt, but generally something that is light and warm. Maybe like this - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/423338433741599195/

2. Walls: I want to add simple inlay moulding like this to bring a bit more of a delicate/elegant feeling to the walls. Will keep all walls in Lexicon half. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/423338433741568011/ Thinking of carrying a design motif of 6 rectangles per wall with the lower rectangles shorter at the ~900mm mark, and the two outer sections narrower with a larger inner section (space for artwork etc).

3. Built-Ins: There is a strange sort of square nook at the end of the living area. I am currenty putting my TV there, but really its just totally wasted space. I'm thinking of running a low-ish in-built bench all the way from wall-to-wall and around the nook, with drawers underneath to hold cables and provide storage. Thinking of adding a simple set of shelving in the adjoining nook, but don't want to make the space feel too 'heavy'. Any ideas here? Should I paint this wall a feature colour to bring some contrast as it gets great angled light across it? And should I match the cupboards & shelving to the floor or contrast? I could match the kitchen cabinetry or contrast it?

4. Kitchen: The PU kitchen cabinetry has seen better days, but its super expensive to replace. Thinking of using plywood to add subtle shakers and then sending it off to get re-sprayed but I have no idea what colour would work/be appropriate to match the space. Maybe a light beige or terrace warm white? Any ideas here? The tiles are white and the benchtop is a beige stone.

5. Lighting & Accents: Planning on replacing the horrendous IKEA ceiling lights with a nice brass lighting like this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/423338433741550366/ And using some brass and navy accents throughout.

Thanks so much everyone!

Here is the floorplan:

Comments (14)

• Paul F.
    3 months ago

Welcome. No rules broken. The only thing I would suggest is you upload your pictures here. Some will not click on your links to your iCloud pics to your apartment or your inspiration pics. Make it as easy as possible to respond in the 30 seconds you have their attention.

• Tim Elliott
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks Paul! Uploading some reference images now :)

• Tim Elliott
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks so much Kendrah for this info!!! I will look at some Clean/Sophisticated inspiration! Thats totally fair as a comment. Will use the reference photos you provided as my starting point.

Love the idea of the sconces! Thank you for this... and yes anything to elevate the ceiling up would be super helpful!

• Tim Elliott
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Do you think sort of concept might work?

• latifolia
    3 months ago

Your idea of light oak flooring is good; I suggest extending it throughout your apartment. A single flooring material will unify and enlarge your space.

As the owner of rental properties, I would definitely want fresh carpet, but hardwood with area rugs is better.

Tim Elliott thanked latifolia
  • Kendrah
    3 months ago

How often do you have people to your home? When you do, how many? Do you sit down and eat, watch tv? How often do you watch tv? What are you using your second bedroom for?

Just trying to figure a few things out for furniture placement.

• PRO
    daryalmitchell
    3 months ago

Your concept of light oak flooring is commendable, and I recommend extending it throughout your entire apartment. Opting for a single flooring material has the potential to create a cohesive and spacious feel within your living space.

Considering your role as the owner of rental properties, I would lean towards hardwood flooring with strategically placed area rugs. Hardwood not only imparts a timeless and elegant look but is also more durable and easier to maintain than carpet. Additionally, it offers a versatile backdrop that tenants can personalize with their furnishings and decor.

Area rugs can be introduced strategically to add warmth, comfort, and define specific zones within the apartment. They provide an opportunity to incorporate different textures and colors while maintaining the overall aesthetic appeal of the light oak flooring.

In summary, the combination of light oak hardwood flooring and well-chosen area rugs not only enhances the visual appeal of your rental property but also offers practical advantages in terms of durability and tenant customization.

Tim Elliott thanked daryalmitchell
  • Tim Elliott
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks Daryal! Getting some quotes together for the flooring now - so hoping it’s not going to be too expensive to get the whole apartment redone in the flooring. I think the oak will lighten the whole place up, and to your point the area rugs can allow the tenants to customize as required

Kendrah - we will have two of us living in the house, and may be entertaining up to 4 people at a time. Typically we are casual entertainers (not really sit down dinner) and spend a lot of time lounging or sitting outside when it’s warm. How would tou suggest optimising the floor plan for this?

Thanks so much everyone for your help!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 months ago

That is a perfect apartment. A jewel box of a home. Don't screw it up with extraneous stuff.

In the corner niche, I'd establish a wall for the TV screen and then have bookcases on the adjacent wall. It's enough that the walls are angled. Don't start placing the furnishings on angles to. It will only lead to chaos.

Furnishings like these in a contemporary style with an ottoman / coffee table assembly would look very nice in your space. A curved tub chair can slide around your room when you need additional seating for guests.

A sectional could work if it was a custom size.

Tim Elliott thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Tim Elliott
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I can't believe how amazing, thoughtful and considered all these comments have been - truly appreciate it! And it has definitely impacted how I'm thinking about the space!

BeverlyFLADeziner - I absolutely loved the flat when I first purchased it... without realising how little light it receives in winter (learned that my first year living there before I rented it out). Hoping that by adding a few key elements I can brighten it right up so it can look as good as it should! Love the floor plan with the sectional...

So new plan...

Flooring: Oak flooring throughout (to replace carpet and tiled sections too) - reference photo below. Thanks daryalmitchell!

Furniture: I think the sectional will work great to define the space - I have a sectional in there right now but its an IKEA piece and its a bit too 'big' for the space. Going to purchase the below lounge suite and ottoman, but not 100% what colour yet.

Lighting: Fix the ceiling lights and add some modern sconces to make the roof appear higher and bring more light in. Wondering if I need any 'task lighting' above the kitchen benchtop and sink space... But I can probably do this at a later date.

Niche/TV Stand: Will put some simple built-ins to sit the TV on, and a very simple bookshelf in the niche section.

Kitchen: Unfortunately I can't leave the cabinets how they are, they were pretty abused by tenants over the years, so its repaint/respray or replace... I do feel the kitchen feels a little oppressive in current colour scheme, so I'm thinking of repainting them in a lighter 'Oyster' colour (a warm light grey).

Rethinking a more modern/sophisticated look inspired by everyone's comments:

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 months ago

I should probably know this but can I ask what you're using to create the 3D images?

Depending on the length of the wall, I'd still consider a sectional instead of just a chaise. IMO it's more versatile for seating and you can still stretch out on a sectional like a chaise provided the arm on the sectional is low for TV viewing.

• Tim Elliott
    Original Author
    3 months ago

That’s a great point re the sectional - offers way more seating. There are heaps of local lounge stores with different options and scales so I’ll go out and look around. Thanks for the help!

For the 3D model, I’m just using the free version of Sketchup Online ☺️

Ok this is has been super helpful.. going to start getting some contractor quotes and will post photos in WIP and the finished result

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!

• PRO
    daryalmitchell
    3 months ago

Your concept of light oak flooring is commendable, and I recommend extending it throughout your entire apartment. Opting for a single flooring material has the potential to create a cohesive and spacious feel within your living space.

Considering your role as the owner of rental properties, I would lean towards hardwood flooring with strategically placed area rugs. Hardwood not only imparts a timeless and elegant look but is also more durable and easier to maintain than carpet. Additionally, it offers a versatile backdrop that tenants can personalize with their furnishings and decor.

Area rugs can be introduced strategically to add warmth, comfort, and define specific zones within the apartment. They provide an opportunity to incorporate different textures and colors while maintaining the overall aesthetic appeal of the light oak flooring.

In summary, the combination of light oak hardwood flooring and well-chosen area rugs not only enhances the visual appeal of your rental property but also offers practical advantages in terms of durability and tenant customization.