Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
max_hwang97

manufactured homes

Max H. Wang
6 months ago
last modified: 6 months ago

Hi everyone,

I am doing research on the economics manufactured homes from the perspective of the producers.

Wondering if anyone can shed light on

1. What are the cost components and their proportions in cost of making manufactured homes? Let's say it cost $100k for a Clayton home to make a manufactured home. What % of that $100k cost is labor, what % is lumber, and what % transportation to buyer land, etc... is something else, etc?

2. What drives the selling price of manufactured homes? Is it just demand or production capacity at producers? Where do people think prices are going to go with rates going higher?

3. What is the financing cost for a typical manufactured home (interest rate % in this environment)? I heard the rates are actually higher than typical homes since only a few lenders are available.

Thank you!

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Yonder Way Design
    6 months ago

Berkshire Hathaway owns almost 100% of the manufactured homes production and sales. You are not competing with Warren Buffet. Nor his predatory lending practices. https://www.wnyc.org/story/warren-buffets-mobile-home-industry-traps-poor-people-predatory-loans/

• remodeling1840
    6 months ago

Every business has it own set of figures. My lease and your lease and John Doe’s lease are not the same. My labor costs in my area of the country are different….. my workman’s comp rate in my state is not the same in your state and both are different from John Doe’s. I choose not to spend $$$ on advertising but you spend $$$$$$$$$$ on advertising……if you are trying to figure out the profit the industry as a whole makes on a manufactured home so you can negotiate a better price, good luck.

• Max H. Wang
    Original Author
    6 months ago

thank you for the input guys. What's the interest rate on a average mobile home, for a typical buyer (whatever their average credit score is)?

• ShadyWillowFarm
    6 months ago

A researcher would not solicit opinions from anonymous people on an Internet forum. A researcher would do research using reports from verified sources.

• Max H. Wang
    Original Author
    6 months ago

There is always value in speaking with people who are directly involved in an activity as opposed to solely relying on statistical sources which may neglect real world nuances important to assess...

Is it wrong for a car industry researcher to go on on a car forum asking for real experience of drivers of those cars? Is it wrong for a fashion retailer researcher to ask real customer's experience wearing those clothes? Is it wrong to ask what people's taste preferences for a certain brand of food is when doing a research on a food brand? So why is it wrong tapping into real world knowledge of buyers of manufacturing homes when doing reserach on manufacturing homes?

I see mobile home financing rate around 7-8% on certain websites... but I doubt people actually pay these rates given additional addons and whatnot...

By the way, if you have verified sources on cost components on manufacturing housing... please point to them.. I'd be glad to also refer to those sources as well... they are not easy to find...

• A Mat
    6 months ago

This is not a manufactured home forum.

• Max H. Wang
    Original Author
    6 months ago

This is a forum and there is specifically a tag called Manufactured Homes when labelling what this content/post pertains to...

• Max H. Wang
    Original Author
    6 months ago

so why you replying?

• Max H. Wang
    Original Author
    6 months ago

already established it's not...

Sponsored