Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sissamakes

Matching a missing antique pull

sissamakes
8 months ago
last modified: 8 months ago

I have a victorian/ maybe eastlake wash stand that is missing a pull is there an outfit that can recreate the missing bail pull? Id love to match the originals

Comments (23)

• Olychick
    8 months ago

If you cannot find someone, I might either move one of the door handles to the drawer, or preferably remove the remaining drawer handle and add something like this to coordinate with what is there:

sissamakes thanked Olychick
  • sissamakes
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Yeah my plan is to remove probably the handle from the top drawer whcih needs two and put simple bail pulls there possibly so i can make use of existing holes in drawer face without having to parch/fill and bore new ones

• sissamakes
    Original Author
    8 months ago

@jwatters! dang near identical! i snagged them

• Michael Hilber
    8 months ago

Yes that looks very close. The hinge is different. Original is square with a hole in it. Do you know if it's overall the same size?

You can search for "eastlake drawer pull" on eBay and see many that don't seem to match, but it could be one will turn up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305044704598

Someone is trying to sell this set of 6 for $195

Or you could buy a matching set of reproductions, different but similar in style.

https://www.vandykes.com/victorian-eastlake-bail-pull/p/201618/s/02012187/

sissamakes thanked Michael Hilber
  • sissamakes
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I thought the same thing - buy a whole set of comparable reproductions i ordered the pair of similar ones though the eyelet posts and bail pulls are different. the real kicker is that i HAD all the pulls when i first acquired the piece a few months ago and kept them in a container all together and that one has disappeared. Im blaming myself for not sealing them in a ziploc or something but a close second in blame is my two year old who almost definitely made off with it

• Fori
    8 months ago

I bet it turns up as soon as you get the replacements. It's pretty nice! I assume you aren't gonna chalk paint it! 😛

• Michael Hilber
    8 months ago

So you just need to look harder and find it then.

• Olychick
    8 months ago

Yes, unless he sold it, you're going to find it.

• sissamakes
    Original Author
    8 months ago

i have turned my garage inside out looking for it. Found other stuff i didnt know i was looking for 😜. i will do another thorough clean to hopefully unearth it. mildly concerned it made its way into a box that was taken to recycling or something. Other last ditch effort will be getting a metal

detector and going through the back yard. 🫠🙈

• Fori
    8 months ago

You HAVE to get a replacement before the original gets itself found. That's just how it works!

• sissamakes
    Original Author
    8 months ago

And no way to chalk paint on this beaut, Fori, dont worry! heres the before photo sans marble top. i repaired the door, put escutcheons in the keyholes, sanded and restained then poly coated

• Michael Hilber
    8 months ago

Indeed you have some sweat equity in it. That's quite a difference. Normally I'd be reluctant to "re-stain" an antique but it looks lie you used restraint. Not too dark. Woke it up from it's plain brown hue.

• sissamakes
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Its walnut wood and i used Minwax Special Walnut just one coat to make the woodgrain sing. I have a master carpenter mentor who restores antiques and he is generous about sharing his knowledge.

• sissamakes
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Sadly the Etsy shop seller couldnt locate the pulls and issued a refund. hopefully the misisng one turns up 😞

• jwatters99
    8 months ago

That’s a bummer, I’m sorry!

• Fori
    8 months ago

It'll turn up but first you have to purchase a non-returnable replacement. The more you spend, the sooner it will turn up.

• tozmo1
    8 months ago

I'm sure it's pricey but you never know. These folks do bespoke reproductions https://www.charlestonhardware.com/

• sissamakes
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Similar for sure! if i end up reolacing all if them ill do that

• Dawn Long
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Eastlake.

• Dawn Long
    2 months ago

• Dawn Long
    2 months ago