Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenna_palmer43

Apartment Entryway

Jenna Palmer
9 months ago

Looking for ideas to transform a bland apartment entryway.

Comments (15)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    9 months ago

A indoor/outdoor rug that handles wet shoes, hooks for wet coats to dry, a decorative mirror over the hooks, and coordinating wall art in the nook.

• auntthelma
    9 months ago

A pretty basket for keys? Decorative hooks for coats?

• mytwo cents
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

I would use a peel-and-stick wall covering inside the cut-out niche flat surface, something patterned that can survive wet drippy things and then add big hooks to hold drippy things if needed, but also just generally things you might want to have there coming and coming out, hats, mirror, nice totes for shopping and stashing gloves, tick spray, etc....

I don't think it is a good idea to leave keys by a door.

Jenna Palmer thanked mytwo cents
  • mytwo cents
    9 months ago

Too loud?

Deny Designs Marta Barragan Camarasa Jungle Drawing Wallpaper, Green, 2'x4' · More Info

too flowery?

Gold Roses Peel and Stick Vinyl Wallpaper, 24"w X 60"h · More Info

too old fashioned?

Wildacre Paintable Textured Vinyl Wallpaper, Sample · More Info

fits with your other decor?

Geometric Hexagon Peel and Stick Vinyl Wallpaper, Gold, 24"w X 108"h · More Info

Jenna Palmer thanked mytwo cents
  • mytwo cents
    9 months ago

Cheery!

MN1913 Seaside Jacobean White / Yellow / Blue Wallpaper by York Wallcoverings · More Info

• Joann Crowley
    9 months ago

I was just going to suggest peel and stick for the nook so i second that suggestion. Basically this area is like a foyer table so it is where you would put a basket or something for mail, etc. Also consider lighting. Even if you don’t have an outlet there are online hacks for wireless sconces or a battery lamp. And maybe there is room for a small plant stand or umbrella pot.

Jenna Palmer thanked Joann Crowley
  • Susan Murin
    9 months ago

Agree with peel and stick wallpaper in the niche and some hooks to hang things. Would also get a piece of wood cut to fit the shelf, then stain it.

Jenna Palmer thanked Susan Murin
  • mytwo cents
    9 months ago

pricey but fun -- and I don't think it's peel and sitck, alas

Schumacher X Backdrop Taboo Wallpaper, Warm Beige, 10 Yards · More Info

• mytwo cents
    9 months ago

But .....

If you aren't looking to do anything utlitarian, then maybe creating something around this decorative object, sitting on the ledge, would be nice if it fits with the rest of your interior decor. You can also find a long boat tray like this in metal

Barco XL Long Boat Tray · More Info

Pick a low key wall paper to make a subtle back drop, hang a mirror and maybe a photo you really like. Theme could be asian or venetian or woodsy or nautical or tribal depending on where you live and what you like

• PRO
    BLOU INK
    9 months ago

There is so much potential for this entryway.  Here are my thoughts:

1.  Remove the carpet on the steps and opt for either painted or stained.

2.  My first thought was to install wallpaper.  I'd do a nice grey textured wallpaper just to give a bit of depth to the space and make it feel a bit more modern.

3.  In the small set back, you could get creative, put and do a gallery wall of sorts, but with a whiteboard for tenants to write notes on, incorporate possibly a clock, and some decorative art.

4.  Add a small statement ceiling mount light if possible

5.  A full length mirror next to the door.

Jenna Palmer thanked BLOU INK
  • Jenna Palmer
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Thank you! It is a rental and the carpet has to stay. I'm on board with the art idea, but I'm torn between gallery style or two larger-scale pieces.

• shirlpp
    9 months ago

You can just put wallpaper on the doors. Either both or only one.

A larger piece of artwork on the wall with the cutout and smaller artwork going up the stairs on the other side - might work. All in the same theme.

And....of course an area rug.

• mytwo cents
    9 months ago

The space is so tight I think it doesn't afford any distance for taking in a large artwork unless you are going for a wild pop overstatement. Gallery style makes sense but the pieces should be -- forgive me -- bland or rather uniform (like botanicals or architectural elements) because no one will be stopping to look at them.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    9 months ago

Absolutely do not put any hooks in the niche - you never want to have to stop on stairs and perform a task - it’s asking for a fall. You want to go straight up or straight down, with your hand on the railing and looking where you are going. And drippy things will drip onto the horizontal surface of the niche which is probably drywall which will not handle drips well.