Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
byst

Hood help for small kitchen with 8 foot ceilings

byst
14 days ago

I have a dilemma. I am trying to make a hood decision (due yesterday) but don't think I've hit the right option yet. We have 8 foot ceilings and are doing a reno. I am installing a 36 inch cooktop. Originally we thought we were going for a 19.5 inch hood insert with a box shape hood cover, but cabinet maker says that will look odd (stick out too far - 9.5 inches) from our wall cabinets our short-ish wall span. So now I am looking for options. We have to stay under 400 CFM on the hood. I found a 17.5 inch insert, so maybe that is a possibility. I also found a minimalist glide out by Zephyr that could work as an option, but don't know if it looks too stark. It is only 290 CFM (supposedly a microwave hood is 200), but the other options we are looking at are 390, so not a huge difference? Kitchen designer says our ceilings are too short for an angled wood hood cover like the one in white in the photo below. I'm not sure. Adding to the puzzle is the fact that the pantry on the right of the wall is recessed, rather than proud, so maybe that factors in to whether we have a "proud" hood cover. Kitchen designer suggested a stainless wall hood, but since that wall is what we'll be looking at from the formerly enclosed dining room (now a half wall between kitchen and DR) I'm not terribly keen on that. Will have soapstone counters, wood floor, white cabinets. Here are some pix of what I am considering along with a rendering of that wall. Any ideas on which of these hood styles could work best? Thank you for any helpful ideas. We are probably leaning toward the glide out at this point.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Arden Hills Estates
    14 days ago

The style is your call. My question is the cfm, the cabinet guys protruding size and the designer statement. All of those, in my mind should be in question. 36 is a good size range. I don't know your BTU total but I would rather see a larger cfm. As for 8 foot...if the hood is the same color as the cabinets it should blend and not draw attention to the 8 foot. In my opinion

byst thanked Arden Hills Estates
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

A 36 inch cook top? Induction or gas? Because at 36 inches, your hood should be 42 inches wide.........

You should show the cad drawing with all the dimensions of everything. An eight foot ceiling is not a disaster, and once was beyond common.

byst thanked JAN MOYER
  • Boxerpal
    14 days ago

My concern was mentioned above, the CFM is not enough. How many CFM do you need for a 36 range hood?

If your cooktop is 36 inches wide with a 25,000 total BTU capacity, you'd need 300 CFM to accommodate the size for heat output. This means your ideal range hood should have at least 800 CFM and be about 42 inches. I think you need a bigger range hood.

But, you know this already... You need solutions.

What about a downdraft hood?

Clean & Classic Kitchen · More Info

Two Time Award Winning Kitchen · More Info

I think this ceiling is a little taller than 8 feet but you could do something similar

byst thanked Boxerpal
  • herbflavor
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

almost half of your design is vertical cabinetry. it is a not very welcoming feel. more like a 1930's cooks kitchen that the family didnt enter. let's put it this way....where are the walls now...what is on the walls...and why are so many inches absorbed with solid vertical cabinetry. When you have a windowless space you want some counter/ backsplash for interest/ task lighting which also lights up the pretty tile/counters which is a feature not to underestimate/ glass doors on uppers/ molding for at least some detail...etc. I would not install this plan. Your kitchen is not small....it is made to feel like get in and get out as quick as one can.....and that is a negative. I hope this startles you and you go back to the drawing board. YOU SHOULD.

byst thanked herbflavor
  • marylut
    14 days ago

I believe the current standard for hoods is 6” wider than the cooktop, the recommended cfm for 36” cooktop is 300. Important to consider the decibels (how loud the hood fan is). 8 ft Kit ceiling is fine - cabs to ceiling will be affordable, will make nothing too high to be out of reach, will make ceiling visually feel higher.

byst thanked marylut
  • la_la Girl
    13 days ago

i’d be tempted to break up that wall of cabinetry with a different material - I think the barrel shaped hoods in stainless are charming and seem at home in lots of different kitchens

byst thanked la_la Girl
  • Jane
    13 days ago

your kitchen designer is probably really a cabinet salesperson- they are not ”designing” they are trying to talk you into a cabinet above the stove. can you post your 2d design please

byst thanked Jane
  • byst
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you all for your comments. @Ardenhillsestates I think it is the asymmetry that throws me off on the decorative hood. It seems like it should be more central. I may have found a Miele slide out that will get me to 400 CFM, which will work fine if I do under counter, but I wonder if that would look too stark. There will be molding and a nice backsplash (tbd) per @herbflavor. (The opposite wall is a half wall to DR with a cabinets and counter on kitchen side. Wall to right is wall ovens, panelled fridge/freezer, and pantry same size as oven cupboard. Wall to left is long counter, no wall cabinets, sink in center looking out into sunroom and outside.) @Boxerpal, thank you for the pictures. The one especially helps me visualize what a hood might look like on a wall with similar asymmetry. I think the contractor already put the vent pipe in, so I may be pretty well married to the layout. The cooktop is induction, and recommended CFM is 300. I can't go over 400. Kitchen designer is not in sales @Jane, lol, just wanting us to move off center. @la_lagirl I will look up that article. Thank you. Had not thought of the barrel idea, other than feeling like I was in one and going over Niagra Falls!

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    9 days ago

You can do a nice hood on an 8ft ceiling.

Have you ordered these cabinets yet? This plan really should be revisited. There are some things that should be considered - the dishwasher should be on the left of the sink ( it looks like its on the right, but it is hard to tell ) , I would shift the hood over to the left . The wall cabinets to the left of the hood should be reversed. That double door cabinet being on the left side means you are opening a wide door into your face. It will make it more difficult to use.

Do you have the floor plan or dimensions of this room? We can all have a look and make sure for you.

Good luck!