Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spammie

Is there a 2-sided removable tape that won't peel paint from drywall?

spammie
last year

Does such a thing even exist?

I saw these cubes in an Etsy shop & have the perfect place for them but would like to stick them on with removable 2-sided tape rather than the choice of more permanent tape or screws provided by the seller; would very much appreciate hearing about any product that will stick well without peeling the paint & finish off my drywall when it inevitably comes time to move them.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/NatswoodArt?ref=profile_header

Comments (11)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Teacher's Putty

spammie thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • spammie
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, @BeverlyFLADeziner! I notice it's not recommended for "fresh paint." I wonder how stale it should be?!

• User
    last year
    last modified: last year

don't mount 3-D objects with poster putty, they will definitely fall down LOL.

Here's a trick I have been doing for many years: 3M Command strips, cut down to size, and cut off the "removal tab" so it's invisible. When you press one to the wall, press hard and hold for 30 seconds. Use this type that are slightly squishy (the clear strips don't adhere to paint well at all).

You said your paint is fresh. How fresh? Be sure to wait at least a week or so, so the new paint is totally cured before sticking anything to it.

If the wall is heavily textured and the item is a little bit heavy, this might not hold. But these cubes look small so it might work out ok for you.

When you want to take an item down, twist and wiggle it very gently until you can feel it release. If that doesn't work, very carefully work a plastic credit card under it until it pops off. Then you can carefully peel the tape off. (Never pull away from the wall, always pull or twist it parallel to the wall if that makes any sense.)

spammie thanked User
  • spammie
    Original Author
    last year

Also a good idea, thanks @anj_p

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year
    last modified: last year

The putty is great way to do this I do not know but my guess is wait until the paint cures it usually will give you that info on the paint can. I wait 30 days to be on the safe side. BTW Ilove those

spammie thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • spammie
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks. @Patricia Colwell Consulting 30 days sounds good.

• spammie
    Original Author
    last year

@User, I’ll give that a try; will probably do a test run first!

• User
    last year

the putty can be a great way to mock up your layout. when you get it just right, take a picture for reference. if some of the heavier cubes fall off, then you can employ the strips.

the command velcro idea is a good one, I use it for larger objects. but note they're about 3x thicker so they will bump the object out from the wall. if you can view the wall from the side, it will be more noticeable.

spammie thanked User
  • spammie
    Original Author
    last year

@User Putty mockup is a great idea, thanks! I've used the Command velcro but haven't had the best luck with the velcro staying together. I've got some around so will try it & see how it works.

• sandy3877
    3 months ago

There are picture hanging hooks that ate suppose to easily pull up and off any surface without removing paint, etc My suggestion is get a puddy knife and gently wrdge it in between the peice and the wall. if the paint comes off or more, use filler and even out, lightly sand with a high number sand paper grit (22o) and dry brush the area to blend in.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996