Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_4824143139437895

Remove Most of a Step-Down Entryway

James Lee
2 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have a step-down entryway that runs from the door to the opposite wall. I believe it was formed by pouring concrete onto the concrete slab foundation.

I want to remove/level most of it -only keeping the part nearest the door (outlined by the blue tape). This is so I will get more floor space at ground level and also can cross from the living room to the family room without having to go up and down the steps every time.

I'm wondering how feasible the work would be? A concern I have is that demolition could damage the foundation itself. And perhaps there are other potential issues I'm not aware of.

I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
James

Comments (17)

• James Lee
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@tozmo1 That's indeed a lot of concrete to pour... we had the original tile in the entryway replaced many years ago, and I recall the installer mentioned there was concrete under there.

• tozmo1
    2 years ago

The challenge I see is determining if it's continuous from the foundation under the stairs. I want to assume that there is a way to cut the concrete at that wall. Can you remove the beadboard and see what it looks like along that wall?

James Lee thanked tozmo1
  • tozmo1
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

One other thought. If you have some extra tiles, you could have a geology survey group drill a few core samples to see how deep the slab is under what you'd be removing. If it's as deep as the living room part and if it's not part of any bearing wall (assuming it's a bearing wall) under the stairs, there is probably no issue removing it.

Structural engineer could probably do it too.

James Lee thanked tozmo1
  • aziline
    2 years ago

I'd want it gone too. I'm guessing it was done so they could put the door right by the stairs. If it wasn't raised the door would have to be pushed to the left to accommodate 2 more stairs.

James Lee thanked aziline
  • James Lee
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@tozmo1 I realized that on the other side of the wall is a vent I could open to look into the empty space under the stairs and expose how the entryway and the wall are constructed (photo attached). So it looks to definitely be concrete poured on top of a concrete foundation. Would you please clarify this statement? "If it's as deep as the living room part and if it's not part of any bearing wall (assuming it's a bearing wall) under the stairs, there is probably no issue removing it."

• James Lee
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@User @aziline

I thought about removing all of it too, but my family really wants the small landing to remain. It roughly measures 56" x 60" (without including the extra step down). I've added some blue tape to mark the edge of the extra step (photos attached). If the rail needs to be reworked, how should it be done?

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

What is going on outside? Picture on the exterior side? Because I would want it all gone but that may be impossible.

James Lee thanked ci_lantro
  • James Lee
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@ci_lantro Outside, there are a couple steps going up to the door.

• Hugo Guadian
    last month

Hi James. I just purchased a home in So Cal and have an almost identical layout and issues as your photos. We too would like to remove this elevation. May I ask what you ended up doing?

Appreciate your response

Thanks,

• Hugo
  • James Lee
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

@Hugo Guadian Hi Hugo, congratulations on your new home! We ended up emphasizing our concerns to the people doing the work and moving forward with it.

The workers were careful with the demolition itself, but there was one major issue we could have prevented: The work area was cordoned off with plastic sheeting and tape. To go upstairs we had to detach some of the plastic sheeting from the wall and re-affix it. That left small gaps we didn't think would matter (at worst, there would be some demolition dust in the stairwell to clean up). But the big issue is that the front door was left open as they went into and out of the house, and because we had windows open upstairs as well, the wind would find a way to blow the demolition dust through the small gaps in the sheeting, into the stairwell, and even all the way into the various rooms upstairs. It was a nightmare to clean up.

But aside from that, the decision to remove most of the entryway was one of the best decisions we ever made, and we are so happy we went through with it.

• Hugo Guadian
    last month

James,
    Thank you so much for responding.

• Hugo Guadian
    last month

Elevated entryway

• Hugo Guadian
    last month

James,
    Was the elevation solid concrete and was it part of the foundation or was it dirt? In either case I imagine the removed area had to be skimmed or filled with concrete? I’m in La Palma, CA…would you be able to recommend me your contractor if you’re in the area.

Greatly appreciate your help,
    Hugo

• James Lee
    Original Author
    last month

Hi Hugo,

Your entryway is definitely a lot like mine. I should have added more details about the foundation in my earlier post today because that was my original concern.

@tozmo1 Made a great observation that it would be a lot of concrete to pour to make that entryway fully out of concrete, and they were spot on in that it wasn't completely concrete after all. It was actually dirt poured over the foundation and then a concrete shell made over the dirt.

Here is a photo after the demolition work.

I will message you separately about the contractor.

-James

• Hugo Guadian
    last month

Thank you so much. Me and my wife really appreciate your communication, pictures and time. The information you provided is very helpful to us. Thanks!

• James Lee
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

@Hugo Guadian You're very welcome! Best of luck to you and your wife!