Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
francesca_loudon

paint suggestions please.

Ac Lb
3 years ago

I’ve been wanting to update my latte walls for awhile...even though I still like the color. I want an updated lighter feel to my kitchen. The problem is my kitchen cabinets are an antique white color. We recently painted our beige living room alabaster white and love it! I’m wondering if it would look strange to have most of my downstairs painted the same alabaster color. Also do you think the white will make my antique white cabinets look yellow or do you think it will look ok because it’ll match our subway tiles? Is there another color you’d recommend? We’re using sw alabaster. I’ve attached a pic of our granite too.

Comments (124)

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Updating this post from last year... we’re getting the kitchen professionally painted alabaster white starting next week. I’ve been dreaming of this day for 7 years... but I’m extremely nervous!

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. Do you think alabaster would be the best choice since the walls are alabaster and the backsplash is a very close match to alabaster?

• User
    2 years ago

Please update when it is done. Would love to see pics

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I definitely will! I wonder if it’ll calm down the yellow in my granite or make it stand out more. I’m hoping it’ll update the look of the space

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Ac,,,start your own post w/pictures of the countertop/flooring, other rooms.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    last year

@Beth H- would a black island look good if it's in an open space with dining room set that is espresso?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Ac, what's the update w/the kitchen? did you ever paint?

I think black is a little harsh. go w/a diff color.

are you keeping the granite? tile splash?

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, we're keeping counters snd backsplash. Eventually we'd like to replace the island, but we're hesitant to right now, as we'd also need to replace the counters. We're also worried we wouldn't be able to replace the counters without needing to replace the backsplash. This kitchen is only 8 years old... I feel like it's too soon for a total renovation. We were supposed to get it painted a year ago, but the company had a large job they were working on. We're scheduled to get it painted in the beginning of March. I think painting the antique white cabinets alabaster to match the walls and backsplash will give us the update we're looking for and help us live with this kitchen until we're ready for a larger renovation- new island and countertops.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Yes all Alabaster walls and paint your island to match cabinets…it will really open up the space!

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    last year

@Home Interiors with Ease so alabaster island over black until we replace it? TIA

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

I sland shoukd match the other warmer white cabinets…walls can be alabaster..what is all your trim color?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

I will be honest I have a black island in my home previous owner put it in..looks great but I have lighter granite….but it is so hard to keep clean! Never again..will be having it painted white some time in the future for sure..dust and marks show everywhere..needs constant cleaning…just something to think about.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

I think your granite is pretty. with alabaster (I might seriously consider Simply White though. less yellow tones) it will lighten up the room.

ALWAYS have the painter paint a sample door for you first so you can see how it looks in your kitchen.

since that island is such a prominent fixture in the room, painting it black will look darker than it already does.

I would just paint it the same white, get larger pendants, new counter stools and change out all the hardware to a soft gold. (since you're painting, have them fill the top holes so you can get a slightly larger handle)

The granite and backsplash are fine.

I would ask the kitchen people doing all of this if they can modify that island to one level. there has to be some way to do it. then I'd just get a diff countertop on the island. you could do a solid quartz or a honed or leathered solid granite color. taking down those 'towers' on the ends will be a huge improvement.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    last year

You ladies are amazing!!!!! Thank you

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    last year

Beth,
    I've never thought about modifying my island! That's a brilliant idea. Do you think simply white will clash with the alabaster walls?
    I love all of your suggestions. Thank you!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

No, I don't think it will clash. Alabaster is just warmer than simply. (Again, this is why you have samples painted so you can see how it looks) Also, at some point in the future you will prob repaint your walls. Any color on the wall will work w/simply white cabs.

These are alabaster cabs. notice how white it looks w/the natural skylight and exterior door light. now look at the far left w/no natural light. see how much warmer it is?

Or maybe you'd like a warm, light griege tone? you could try some samples of these.

Pure white is another option.

(Do NOT use white dove. I painted my walls w/it and was shocked at how dingy it looked. I repainted all of them w/Simply White)

here's a reminder of my walls. the cabs are a touch brighter than Simply White. Not by much though.

Yes, I was thinking if they could remove all this tiered level, it would look so much better.

(I had my island modified w/removal of the trim and corbels. plus, I added two large drawers where there was open shelving. A good kitchen team should be able to modify your island )

If you paint the island to match the other cabs, then getting a diff island piece isn't a big deal. shouldn't cost more than 2-3K, depending on what you choose. they even have pre-fab island slabs for less than 1K

Or, if you want to go w/a quartz, these might work. (take the left overs and save them, or use for bathroom vanities

I like a copper sink too

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Ac....I just saw this island update w/quartzite on another post. it reminded me of your island.

If you moved all the foofy trim and the boxes on top, just got a solid piece (or see if you can match your other granite) I think this is a cleaner look

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    last year

Ooohhh I love it!! Thank you Beth! This would be perfect!

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    last year

I'll keep you posted! I'm going to see if they can modify it so it's one level. I lobe the look of black island with a cream quartz counter color. At the very least, like you said, change it from 3 tiered to 2. Thank you.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    last month

Well a year has past, and we're finally getting our cabinets painted!!!! I'm very excited for the transformation. After rereading everyone's comments on this thread, we are leaning towards painting the cabinets alabaster or pure white. I'm just worried pure white might be too stark.
    Our next focus will be replacing the island granite with quartz.
    I'll update you all with the progress. Thank you for your suggestions.

• M. Vogel
    last month

That is so exciting! keep us updated :)

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    29 days ago

@home interior with ease @beth h is there a Benjamin Moore equivalent to sw alabaster?

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Starting to paint! My husband is painting the bottom bases, the rest are getting professionally painted.
    What floor runner would you recommend in my space?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    16 days ago

wait until all the painting is done and then come back w/updated pictures.

just saw you other question. I would pik BM Simply White. Alabaster is too yellow. Simply White is a nice neutral that leans warmer

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thank you Beth! I value your opinion. I'll definitely update this post as we make progress! We've also updated our living room. We replaced the mantle and painted the unit sw extra white. I'll share a before and after with you. We've decided to leave the island as is for now and replace it eventually. I'd love to change the granite, but that will need to wait as well.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    15 days ago

That looks so nice--love what you've done with the mantel!

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thank you Diana!!! I appreciate your input:). Waiting on a couple of items to finish decorating the shelves. I'm very happy with the outcome. Hoping we will be as happy with the results of painting the kitchen white. I'm guessing it'll make us want to change the counters next:). My husband will end up replacing me if I suggest replacing it renovating one more thing!

• PRO
    15 days ago

Haha, if you're like me, you're never done!

• RedRyder
    15 days ago

The change in your living room is fantastic! I’m interested to see this next project’s outcome.
    Don’t worry about a runner until the last piece of hardware is installed. You guys are talented!

Diana is right - you’re never “done” with a house.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thank you Red Ryder!! I'm considering replacing my cabinet pulls as well. I never liked the ones I originally picked out 8 years ago. I'll keep you all updated.
    I'll wait to look for a runner after cabinets are installed.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Do you think replacing the pulls will make a difference?

• PRO
    15 days ago

If you've never like the hardware, and you're painting the cabinets anyway, then change them out. I wouldn't like pulls with those right angle edges. They just don't feel good in my hands. The rounded one you show is much nicer. But I do like the dark metal. Just pay attention to the width of the pulls and the spacing of the holes unless you want the painters to adjust the holes for the new hardware.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thank you Diane!! I feel like most pills have right angles. I'll have to keep looking.

• RedRyder
    15 days ago

Hardware will absolutely change the look. Whether you paint or not, a new handle style in a different metal will be a big change. I changed the handles on my cherry cabinets in my previous house and it really did change the whole look.

Two things to be aware of - any projecting posts will catch clothing. Make sure everyone’s hands can comfortably use the pull.

This will catch your clothes.

• RedRyder
    15 days ago

This won’t catch your clothes.

• PRO
    15 days ago

I love that one, Red

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Love these!! Thank you!

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    14 days ago

I'm leaning towards these pulls

• RedRyder
    14 days ago

It’s a nice looking pull. Just be aware those “sticking out sides” will catch clothing.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Just ordered these.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    11 days ago

What do you think?

• PRO
    11 days ago

They are so close in style and color that I don't think they will have much of an impact.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I agree they're very similar. However, I'm hoping the straight lines will update the look a bit.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    11 days ago

one on on the left.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you Beth! The ones on the right are my current pulls. I've decided to replace them with the ones on the left. I'm hoping the clean lines will update the look a bit.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Update- they've installed part of our kitchen... still waiting on crown moulding and shelves. The handles don't work as the base is too small.
    They're going to replace the hinges with a smaller more simple hinge. My question is should I leave them oil rubbed bronze or have them painted white. They don't come in white.
    Thank you in advance for your input.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Pics

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    10 days ago

@BethH what color hinges would you go with-painted white ones or oil-rubbed bronze you see in the picture? I have 4 days to decide. I'm reordering oil rubbed bronze pulls as the bases on rectangular ones were too small. I'll probably go with similar ones with a wider base.

• PRO
    10 days ago

You really should keep all this in one post.