Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megoropeza08

Current Best/Favorite Recipe

Claudia W
3 years ago

Yes, we've done this before, but I think it has been awhile and I love adding new-to-me recipes! Unbelievably, summer is waning, SIP and home activities continue, and I need some inspiration to shake it up a bit. I don't mind links to recipes if it makes the process easier. Thanks!

Comments (27)

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The cobbler we always called "Sudden Fruit Pie". We always made it with self-rising flour, so the baking powder and salt were already in the flour. Usually canned peaches, but could use any fruit. It was a 30 oz can of peaches years ago, 28oz now.

ETA: I used a round cobbler type deep pie pan.

Claudia W thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • Jasdip
    3 years ago

I think I've had this 3 times already in a couple of months. It's quick and simple......sprinkle boneless breasts with s, p and garlic powder and brown in olive oil. Add cherry/plum tomatoes to the skillet and bake at 400 (I did 375F) till cooked through 20-25 minutes Top with shredded cheese and melt.

• plllog
    3 years ago

I haven't made this in awhile, but it was a big hit when I first made it and an ongoing favorite of my father's (and mine). Lots of flavor, and just different. It was posted in a thread asking for chicken and dumplings recipes (I was just trying to cut and paste, but had some issues. I think it's all here:

pkramer60

Funny you should mention this because I have Chicken and dumplings on the menu for Sunday. I have been using this recipe ever since a friend served it at a dinner. Very yummy.

Chicken and Dumplings

Cuisine at Home, August 2004

For the Chicken:

• 1 ½ # boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into pieces
    • ½ cup AP flour
    • 2 T. veg oil
    • 2 t. salt
    • ½ t. cayenne pepper
    • ¼ t. black pepper
    • 1 leek, sliced into moons
    • 1 rib celery
    • 1 carrot, diced
    • 1 sweet potato peeled and chunked.
    • 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
    • 2 bay leaves
    • ¼ c. dry white wine
    • 1 qt. Chicken stock
    • 2 t. lemon juice
    • 1 t. each chopped sage and rosemary.

For the Dumplings (after starting the chicken as below):

• 1 ½ c AP flour
    • 3 T. Parm Cheese, grated
    • 2 ½ t. baking powder
    • 2 t. sugar
    • 1 t. salt
    • ½ t. ground pepper
    • 2/3 c. whole milk
    • 3 T. unsalted butter

Blend dry ingredients in a mixing bowl Heat milk and butter until melted, blend into dry ingredients. Shape into small balls, or use small ice cream/cookie scooper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375, rack in center

Cut chicken and dredge in flour, peppers and salt

Brown the chicken in large oven proof pot with 1 T. oil over medium heat. Brown in batches, adding oil if needed. Remove from pan when brown.

Sweat the veg. and bay leaves in oil until soft, 5 min.

Deglaze the pan with wine, simmer until almost gone.

Stir in remaining flour to coat vegetables.

Gradually add stock, cover pot and transfer to oven, cook for 20 minutes.(no chicken yet)

(Start dumpling dough now)

After 20 min, stir in chicken, lemon juice and herbs.

Drop dumplings into stew and braise 20 minutes until dumplings are cooked, toothpick is clean.

• Claudia W
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I've never made chicken and dumplings!!

Thanks for the suggestions!

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    3 years ago

I made these for my kids/grandkids a few weeks ago and they were a big hit. Truly easy to make, can't beat that. The only thing I did differently was to substitute honey for the sugar.

https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/bread/savory-bread/easy-big-fat-yeast-rolls-2.html

Claudia W thanked ediej1209 AL Zn 7
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

I think have the same cobbler recipe, but it's called '1 Cup Cobbler'. The bigger the pan, the more caramelized it gets. Last time I made it, I cut back the butter to 6 Tbs. and used nectarines, peaches and strawberries - yum!

And now I want to make chicken & dumplings...

My fave recipe, in that I can't stop making and eating it is an olive oil cracker bread recipe I tweaked.

I add 1/4 cup sesame seeds, sub 1/4 cup corn flour for wheat, about 2 -3 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary and replace 3 Tbs. of the olive oil with melted butter. I make 4 long thin breads baked exactly 11 minutes and then, once cooled off, break up and put back in the cooling oven to get totally crisp. So addictive - it's my pandemic comfort food and I have some for a bedtime snack every night 😊

Claudia W thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • CA Kate z9
    3 years ago

plllog: How many does your recipe serve?

• chloebud
    3 years ago

This has been a cool weather favorite for a very long time. Just wishing that cooler weather would come! If you make the meatballs ahead and freeze them, the soup takes no time at all. It's best made a day or so ahead and reheated; don't add the tortellini until you reheat it. You may need to add a little more stock when reheating for the tortellini since the soup tends to thicken a bit.

Spinach Meatball Minestrone With Three-Cheese Tortellini

Note: Barilla's dried tortellini work very well with this. I use the "Three Cheese" (8.9 oz pkg.). The amount to use is up to you; using the entire package may require more stock.

Meatballs:
    1 lb. ground beef (or half ground beef/half sweet Italian sausage)
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 T. minced onion
    About 1/4 cup bread crumbs (fresh or dried)
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    1 large egg, slightly beaten
    1 10-oz. pkg. frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry (a potato ricer works great to squeeze it dry)
    Pinch of nutmeg
    1/2 tsp. dried basil
    1/2 tsp. dried oregano
    1 tsp. kosher salt (or to taste)
    1/2 tsp. pepper (or to taste)

Combine and lightly mix well with your hands. Heat 2 T. olive oil in large soup pot. Make one bite-size patty and brown in olive oil till done. Taste for seasoning and correct rest of meatball mixture, if necessary. Form rest of mixture into bite-size (about 1") balls. Saute in soup pot until brown and done. Remove from pot; reserve pot.

Soup:
    2 large carrots, sliced 1/4-inch thick
    2 celery stalks, sliced 1/4-inch thick
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and chopped
    1 14- or 15-oz. can diced tomatoes and juice
    1 15-oz. can kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed
    8 cups beef or chicken stock (or more depending on amount of tortellini used)
    1 tsp. dried basil
    1 tsp. dried oregano
    Salt and pepper to taste

1/2 to 1 whole pkg. (8.9 oz. size) Barilla's dried Three Cheese Tortellini (definitely preferable) OR refrigerated cheese tortellini (such as Buitoni)

For serving: freshly grated Parmesan or pesto.

Add carrots, celery, onion and zucchini to soup pot, adding more olive oil, if necessary. Saute until tender, scraping up any bits from meatballs. Add tomatoes, beans, stock, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and meatballs. Stir and bring to low boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes. Taste for seasoning. Stir in tortellini; you might need to add more stock at this point. Bring to low boil and cook just until tortellini is done (al dente). Serve sprinkled with fresh Parmesan or dollop of pesto.

Claudia W thanked chloebud
  • plllog
    3 years ago

Kate, the recipe I posted on this page fits a 9" square baking dish nicely. Depending on the diners, that's 9, 6 or 4 servings.

JC

• CA Kate z9
    3 years ago

Thank you, plllog. I plan on making this tomorrow or at leaast next week.

• CA Kate z9
    3 years ago

I finally made the Chicken and Dumplings. I was very pleased that it is an excellent recipe. I really like that little bit of heat that the cayenne pepper gives it. I will have 7 meals out of a whole recipe.... 5 went in the freezer last night.

• plllog
    3 years ago

I'm so glad you like it. I've been thinking of making it soon, too.

Thanks to @pkramer60, who first posted it, and the magazine it came from. :)

• Louiseab
    3 years ago

I think I’ve already posted this, but it’s so good! I’m making it again for our thanksgiving meal. Canadian thanksgiving is the weekend of October 10.

https://foodapparel.com/lemon-curd-cheesecake-tart-lemon-crust-blueberry-topping/

Claudia W thanked Louiseab
  • Claudia W
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Making the lemon cheesecake tart today! If the whole thing is as good as the lemon curd...yum yum! I also made the olive oil flatbread and we gobbled it up with some veggie soup. I used Everything but the Bagel seasoning cuz my other half is sort of a more is more kinda guy. I really appreciate the new recipes and plan to make them all!

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

Hi - I never post anything here on the Cooking forum but check in from time to time for recipes and wanted to thank you for the above Chicken and Dumpling recipe - something I've never made but wanted to. This recipe sounded good so I gave it a try yesterday. I never make anything doughy like biscuits, etc. and had no idea how dumplings are supposed to end up. I also wasn't sure if I was supposed to cover it after dropping the dumplings in. I decided not to as I thought I'd rather have something brownish instead of pasty white. In any case it turned out great. Only thing I will change next time is to reduce the amount of cayenne (we like spicy but it just didn't seem right for chicken and dumplings) and add something green - maybe peas or parsley. Thanks again!!

• Jilly
    3 years ago

I’ve been doing varieties of packet dinners every week. Most recent was chicken and veggies with teriyaki sauce. They’re so easy and quick. I assemble them ahead of time and pop in the oven for dinner. The combos you can use are really unlimited — fish, steak, chicken, pork chops ... any veggies ... and seasonings/sauces you like. Jerk sauce is my favorite for these.

Sometimes we serve over rice. And I’ve done some meatless ones, too ... just using lots of veggies with sauce. New potatoes are very good this way.

Boneless chicken breast, fresh green beans, broccoli, yellow squash, mushrooms. Fold up foil in middle, then sides, so that it’s completely sealed. 450 oven for 20 minutes.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Jinx that looks so good! Thanks for sharing!

• nekotish
    3 years ago

That does look good! Along the same lines, I have been getting into sheet pan dinners. Quick, healthy and one pan to clean! Tonight will be smoked paprika, garlic, parmesan cod, potato chunks and broccoli with lemon slices. Will try to remember to take a pic.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

jinx, guess what? I was just given a bag of green beans today by a friend, and bought some zucchini. I can't wait to try out your recipe.

I don't have any teriyaki sauce, but I'm sure I can muddle something up from online.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Let me know how it turns out, Jasdip! It’s fun to experiment with these. :)

• Lars
    3 years ago

I've been making pizza with a new pizza dough recipe that I like and bake it on our new Ooni pizza oven. I guess pizza is not new, but I now make pizza dough that I bake about two hours after I make the dough, and I make it in smaller batches now. I've found that it is a lot easier to make a small batch of pizza dough, and I mix it all by hand instead of in a mixer, and so clean-up is easier.

I've been cooking with kale a lot recently, partly because my brother Kevin needs the fiber/roughage, or whatever it is. One day I sautéed it with onion and garlic and mixed it with pasta, which was quick and easy, and a couple of days ago, I added it to rice that I was cooking. For the rice, I trimmed the leaves off of the kale and reserved them and then finely chopped the stems, which I added to the rice at the beginning of cooking, along with some onion. When the rice was done, I stirred in the chopped leaves of the kale, and the residual heat of the rice cooked the kale, but I did leave it on a very low heat for a few minutes, covered, just to make sure.

I very frequently put vegetables, especially broccoli, in my rice, and I did add broccoli to my kale rice. I removed the florets of the broccoli first and then very finely sliced the stems of the broccoli to add to the rice at the beginning of cooking. The florets get added after the rice is done, and then I leave the rice with the broccoli florets on simmer for five minutes. This way, the broccoli is less likely to get cold when serving.

• strawchicago z5
    3 years ago

I love this thread with such healthy cooking. I googled "recipes to lose weight" and found below Taste of Home recipe of Greek Stuffed Banana Peppers with ground turkey, and feta cheese. Questions: Why does the below recipe tell me to boil the peppers for 2 min. before stuffing? Thanks. Also I bought some Progresso bread-crumbs but it stank inside (stale), what is the best way to make my own fresh bread crumbs? Thanks for any info.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/greek-stuffed-banana-peppers/

From above link: "Preheat oven to 350°. Cut and discard tops from banana peppers; remove seeds. In a Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water 2 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; pat dry.

• In a small skillet coated with cooking spray, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in basil; transfer to a large bowl. Stir in Greek olives, cheese, bread crumbs, water, egg substitute and pepper. Add turkey; mix lightly but thoroughly.
    • Spoon mixture into banana peppers. Place in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with tomato sauce. Bake, covered, 45-50 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in turkey mixture reads 165° and peppers are tender."
  • Lars
    3 years ago

I make breadcrumbs in my Vitamix blender, using the dry ingredients container. If you do not have that, it is probably best to toast the bread lightly before trying to make bread crumbs. Blenders that are not high powered do not do a good job of making bread crumbs, but I think food processors might, but you would still need to dry the bread out in the oven first, or else it could become gummy.

Another method is to cut the bread into small cubes and sauté them lightly in a dry skillet. I use one with a domed lid so that I can shake it. You should then be able to make bread crumbs fairly easily by putting the cubes into a large plastic bag and crushing them with a rolling pin.

I never buy bread crumbs, except for Panko, and I vacuum seal those in a jar after buying them. You can sometimes use cracker crumbs, if the crackers are not too salty.

• strawchicago z5
    3 years ago

Thank you, Lars for those fantastic tips of making bread crumbs, much appreciated !!

• Claudia W
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lars, do you have a favorite pizza dough recipe you can post?

• Lars
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Looks like I forgot to post my pizza dough recipe. This recipe is specifically for an Ooni pizza oven, which will get to 950°F. The dough is 67% hydration (I think), which is quite wet, but this is necessary for this type of pizza. I mix the dough in a plastic mixing bowl, and so it does not stick, but it might stick to a glass bowl. To get the precise hydration, ingredients should be weighed.

Ooni Neapolitan Pizza two 11-12 inch diameter pizzas

• 240 ml warm water (67% hydration)
    • 3-1/2 grams IDY (Instant dry yeast)
    • 7 grams VWG (Vital Wheat Gluten, or dough enhancer, or flour)
    • 3-1/2 grams olive oil (can omit if baking at over 800°)
    • 350 grams bread flour (can use AP or 00)
    • 6-1/2 grams salt
    • Semolina flour, for peel

Toppings:

• Olive oil
    • Marinara sauce (should be thick, not watery, and applied very sparingly)
    • Mozzarella (1/4 pound for two 12” pizzas)
    • Fresh basil leaves

(Note: Neapolitan pizza does not have to have oil in it and must not have sugar.)

In a medium bowl, dissolve yeast into water and add VWG, stirring to combine. Substitute flour if you do not have VWG.

Add 2/3 of the flour to the yeast mixture and stir. Add the rest of the flour plus the salt and continue stirring, or mix with your hand.

Remove dough from the bowl and knead on a board or counter top with no flour, as you will want to keep the hydration high. Dough will be sticky – use a dough scraper. Form into a ball.

Put dough in an ungreased bowl, cover, and allow to rest for 30 minutes for flour to hydrate. Knead dough again and allow to rise for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, or until doubled in size.

Divide the dough in half and form into balls (keep one ball covered). Stretch/press one ball into an 11” to 12” circle with hands and fingers – do not use rolling pin. Edges will remain thicker than the center. Flour the board to do this, but keep the flour on the bottom of the crust – do not turn the dough over – top should remain sticky. Crust should slide easily on the working surface that has been floured.

Dust peel with semolina flour and place dough on peel with no edges lapping over. Add toppings, minimally, so that pizza will not be too heavy and therefore unwieldy. Make sure that the crust slides easily – if not, add more semolina to the peel.

Preheat Ooni oven on high for 30 minutes, to heat the stone. Check temperature of stone with an infrared thermometer – it should be at least 750° - 825° in the center, and above 900° at the back. Turn heat down to medium, and insert pizza.

Turn at 15 seconds using a pizza turner and then continue to rotate with pizza spinners every 10 seconds. Check bottom of pizza with turner or peel for doneness after one minute. It might take as much as two minutes to finish cooking.

Remove first pizza and serve. In the meantime, check the heat on the stone and raise the heat in the oven to reheat the stone (if necessary) and prepare the second pizza. The second pizza can stay on the peel or on a board while you are eating the first one.

Note: We bought a wooden peel for launching the pizza onto the stone, and this works much better than the metal peel, We use the metal peel to remove the pizza. It is necessary, I think, to have both types of peels, and spinners are also necessary, although you can get away with not having a special turner, although it helps.

I got the pizza off this time, but this does not always happen so easily with the metal peel.

Sponsored