Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kris9350

Replacing Heavy Cream in Cheesecake with Lactose Free Alternative

Kris Morriss
last month

I want to make a cheesecake for company, but one person is lactose intolerant. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup fo heavy cream. Has anyone tried using a lactose free alternative such as coconut cream? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments (11)

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last month

My grandson likes Philadelphia dairy free cream cheese. I tried it and it is very good. He also likes Violife and Daiya products. I know he told me a heavy ”cream”, but I cannot find the name. Coconut cream would be fine in a dessert, it is sometimes too sweet in savory dishes.

I think it was Silk dairy free heavy cream. He made parmesean alfredo with no dairy and it was fantastic.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    last month

Yes, and it doesn't work. Have the one lactose intolerant guest just eat the crust. Cheesecake needs real cream, not processed fake stuff.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last month

Ricky, maybe before, but non dairy has improved and we HAVE made things successfully.

• CA Kate z9
    last month

My DIL is lactose intolerant, she just has her bottle of pills handy. She eats dairy-based foods all the time and seems to get on just fine. I'm not sure I would have changed the recipe for the one person... unless that the person has a more serious allergy than most.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    last month

Sherry - I won't argue the advances in food creation, but I'm a quarter Sicilian and to make cheesecake without heavy cream is sacrilegious!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last month

I'm curious. I had to look up how much 1/2 a cup is and it seems a very small amount. Is that really all the dairy there is in your cheese cake recipe?

My second thought is can you do a different dessert? It seems a pity, if the recipe is good, to fiddle with it.

And my third thought is to make the cheese cake and also second dessert such as a fruit pie or some kind of cake.

• plllog
    last month
    last modified: last month

Do check with the person in question. To the best of my knowledge, heavy cream has little to no lactose, and many LI people can eat it. That's why there's no lactose-free cream on the market. The problem may be the cheese! Hard dry cheeses, like parm, may be low in lactose, but soft milky cheeses, like ricotta, can be chock full of it. In a similar circumstance, I made ricotta from lactose free milk to make a treat for my friend. Cream cheese, like cream itself, has a much lower amount, but the totallity might be okay or no-go for your guest.

Most people with sensitivities are fine saying no thank-you to things they can't have and just appreciate a warning. OTOH, why make such problems for yourself? Make a different dessert! Or if the cheesecake is the request of the guest of honor, don't wreck it with alternate ingredients! Make or buy something special that's dairy free, like macarons or mini pavlovas — or even oreos if they fit your guests’ tastes— to serve with the cheesecake, and your LI guest can easily say no thank-you to the cheesecake and have a couple more cookies.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last month

MY grandson is 5 out of 5 allergic to any dairy. Just a touch and it is an epipen and a trip to the emergency room.

We have learned how to cook without dairy, and yes, it is very good. Do not knock it, if you do not know what you are talking about.

I AM NOT talking lactose intollerent. I MEAN ALLERGIC!! He iust NOT sensitive, he is allergic. It can kill him allergic.

If I suggest something, it is dairy free and very good. So good, you cannot tell them apart without a label.

• plllog
    last month

Sherry, I do believe that your recommended products are good, but in my experience, YMMV, replacing products that are fundamentally different structures usually requires some tweaking, and more often than not, a recipe tailored to those ingredients. Perhaps, I'm just too picky, and notice little flaws too much. It's been too long since I've used the dairy free cream cheese--they may have improved it a lot---but while it did work, the difference was definitely noticeable. Perhaps the particular usage makes a difference, too. I'm sorry you were upset! I'm sure your kids and grandson and very happy with the life affirming things you make for him.

• colleenoz
    last month

I have made a lot of cheesecakes with lactose free cream cheese and lactose free cream (the kind you set with gelatine, not the baked kind) and they have all been delicious. No one has ever commented that they taste ”funny” or ”different”.

• plllog
    last month

See! different recipe (for me). I make baked cheesecake and didn't even know about gelatine too set.

Sponsored