Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlie_pinto95

Where to end kitchen backsplash on window with bullnose corner?

Charlie Pinto
4 years ago

I am working on a new home and am not happy with the tiling around the window, and the cut, which does not appear straight. Does this backsplash look finished to you? How would you end the backsplash on a bullnose window?

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

The bullnose makes no sense so not sure why and IMO those textured walls must have been fun to tile to begin with . I agree to remove the bullnose and trim the wind properly or ditch the tile

• Fori
    4 years ago

That IS a little awkward. I'd look for very small molding trim pieces, paintable to match cabinets and sill, to go on that edge from the sill around the corner into the cabinet. Something like a L in profile that could cover the edges.

If you have the chance to get it redone, have it end a few inches away from the window (like as far as the stool comes out to the side) and use a Schluter type of edging.

At least caulk the edges with paintable caulk and ignore it. The big picture looks good! It'll only bother you when you're at the sink. :)

• Charlie Pinto
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the comments everyone. I am a first time homebuyer just trying to understand more about the house under contract, and what’s being done to it. When something looks “off” I like to surface to Professionals and get feedback.

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    4 years ago

They did it cheaply; they did not think about the correct finishing pieces needed to complete the job. Bullnose edging tiles are available, or Schluter trim pieces; but they can't really work after the fact without ripping out some of the tiles.

• Fori
    4 years ago

Depending on where you are in your contract, it might be worth getting them to do it right.

• Charlie Pinto
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is all very helpful in my discussions. Thank you everyone!

• lkbum_gw
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Look at adding a Pencil Tile to make those edges look better. You can get really thin Pencil in a myriad of finishes and colors and make that look a lot more finished. We used a Relatively large pencil to “trim” the Travertine tiles on our back splash where it didn’t end at a wall.

• PRO
    Chirigos Designs / Design Bar
    last year

Just seeing this 2 years late so hopefully it is helpful to you or someone. I would either put trim around the window or put tile inside the frame and add a bullnose - however, the tile bullnose may not match the drywall bullnose.

• Jenell Holt
    10 days ago

I know this post is now years old, but I wouldn't change the window edge profile by adding trim. My 1955 Phoenix ranch-style house has these same window openings...they're original! Our exterior walls are concrete block with a plaster skim-coat. The style reflects a historic shift in building construction methods/materials and a move away from unnecessary decorative trim.

Now, what to do about tiling around this type of opening? I have no idea, which is how I found this post in the first place, lol.

• PRO
    Zumi
    9 days ago

It is not meant to be tiled around, which is why it looks so awkward and awful.