Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

How often do you drink/consume alcohol?

Lars
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

This is mainly a test to see if I can start a poll, and so it should not be taken too seriously.

Never; I'm a teetotaler (communion does not count)
2-4 times a year - holidays, weddings, birthdays, etc.
once or twice a month
only on week-ends
only at cocktail hour
I'm drunk right now

Comments (67)

• Bunny
    4 years ago

Thanks Ida. Not seeing any of that, but yay for my team in the lead.

Lars thanked Bunny
  • jill302
    4 years ago

Another one stick at submitting

Lars thanked jill302
  • just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

I put only on weekends because it was closest. Sometimes I drink not at all on weekends. Although I can’t handle more than two glasses of wine my husband and I do enjoy our wine. Isn’t wine good for you?

Okay, I drink wine for medicinal purposes. Shouldn’t there be a box for that?

Lars thanked just_terrilynn
  • bpath
    4 years ago

It’s always cocktail hour somewhere.

Lars thanked bpath
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

I voted and can see he results. I voted for weekends, but sometimes it is only a couple of times a month. Sometimes maybe more, I don’t count. I might have a half a beer or a glass of wine and then nothing for a couple of weeks. Then other times maybe a couple of glasses of wine.

Lars thanked OutsidePlaying
  • LynnNM
    4 years ago

Actually, we don’t “do” cocktail hour, but we do have wine every evening with dinner. And, a drink together (Scotch & Water, G&T, or a Cuba Libra) out on one of our portals (covered patios) on Wednesdays when DH gets home from golf. We’re not big drinkers and one mixed drink or 2 1/2 glasses of wine each is pretty much our limit.

Lars thanked LynnNM
  • Moxie
    4 years ago

Another stuck on submitting.

DH is blind so I always drive. That means one glass of wine or beer with dinner out. My reaction time has slowed with age and further impairment from alcohol just isn't worth the risk. I still cook with alcohol, but DH is on anti-coagulants so I'm careful to cook it off. Since he no longer drinks, I only have the occasional drink at home.

Lars thanked Moxie
  • Lars
    Original Author
    4 years ago

<It’s always cocktail hour somewhere.>

That's what a sign in the bar area of our house in Cathedral City said when we just bought it. The sellers left pretty much all of their furniture and furnishings (they demanded that they be allowed to do this), and so we ended up with a fully furnished house whether we wanted it or not. It came with a bar, a hutch filled with wine glasses, a beer fridge, and a wine fridge - and that was just in the bar area.

If you are having trouble seeing the poll results, try going through the houzz.com portal. You may have to vote again in order to see the results - that's what I did.

I should have added another option: Houzz is driving me to drink!

• bbstx
    4 years ago

I would definitely vote for Houzz is driving me to drink!

Lars thanked bbstx
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

Stuck at submitting...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

I checked back in and no results show...

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

Enjoy beer and wine with meals but my body just doesn't handle alcohol well as I've gotten older. Just feel too horrible the next day. I can have maybe one glass of wine or maybe a glass and a half if I want to push it. I may have wine on the weekends only and then not even every weekend. One beer. Wine seems to affect me worse, though. Ugh. Especially if I want to go to Spin the next morning--can't drink.

• fouramblues
    4 years ago

I voted, can see the results, and drink lots. 😉🍷

Lars thanked fouramblues
  • maire_cate
    4 years ago

I voted but I don't see results but then I entered through GW -I'm still avoiding houzz.

Lars thanked maire_cate
  • User
    4 years ago

Also stuck on submitting the vote. Which is exactly the way the polls have worked for me on this beloved site, since forever. I'm on the desktop version using Firefox and as I said on another post, I don't care enough about the stupid polls to even try a different browser. The number of quirks and bugs on this site are shockingly bad.

So I can never vote and I can never see results.

Maybe I ought to drink before I come here. LOL.

Lars thanked User
  • Rory (Zone 6b)
    4 years ago

I was one of the ones who voted "I am drunk right now". I wasn't but I do have a glass of wine or a mixed drink nearly every night but that wasn't a choice. I guess I should have put my vote on "Only at cocktail hour" .

Lars thanked Rory (Zone 6b)
  • Bunny
    4 years ago

Well, I generally enter this site via gardenweb.com in which I voted and couldn't see the results, and/or it would just hang on the submitting. Right now I entered via houzz.com, voted, and voilà! The results appeared immediately. Team Cocktail Hour FTW!

ETA: I'm back on gardenweb.com and I can still see the results. So, I'm guessing you can't see the results unless your vote is registered and that wasn't happening unless I voted through houzz.com. Are others finding that to be the case?

Lars thanked Bunny
  • Lars
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Bunny, I had the same experience. If I voted through Houzz, I could see the results there and also on Gardenweb. If I voted on Gardenweb, I could not see the results, and I have a feeling that my vote did not count.

• User
    4 years ago

I suspect sooner rather than later they will shut down the GW domain and force us to use Hoazz.

We should all hold a funeral for GW on that day. Sigh. I wish I'd saved the message they posted when they bought GW. It'd be good for a laugh....

Lars thanked User
  • 3katz4me
    4 years ago

I voted on gardenweb on my iPhone without any problem and saw the results and still do. Interesting to see the results. I’m cocktail hour too - more than on weekends only.

Lars thanked 3katz4me
  • jojoco
    4 years ago

Me and 22 others (so far) are cocktail hour drinkers. I had to laugh--I keep thinking of that sign "It's 5' o'clock somewhere!"

Lars thanked jojoco
  • roarah
    4 years ago

On my iPad no results just a submitting your vote message. With warfarin and plavix I no longer drink. Thought I would miss it but after a year a really don't. But my coffee habit I will take to my grave ;)

• Bunny
    4 years ago

Cocktail hour (wine) happens every day. I think the best glass of wine is the one when you're fixing dinner.

Lars thanked Bunny
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

The darn thing is just hanging there submitting my vote. I'm on my Mac desktop computer.

And I know it doesn't matter, but I didn't see a choice that applies to me. Once or twice a month is closest, so I chose that.

Lars thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Jilly
    4 years ago

^^Agree, Bunny.

I drink a glass or two of wine every night. Once in a while, we’ll make mixed drinks, trying new cocktail recipes.

I used to love margaritas, but got food poisoning while having them or something and now don’t like the taste ... which in Texas, is like saying you hate barbecue, give up your Texan card right now and head on down the road.

Still can’t see results. I’m afraid to switch over to the Houzz url because I don’t want to get sucked into the vortex and never make it out.

(Ok, look, it wasn’t food poisoning, it was drinking too many of them and spending the next two days in margaritas-made-with-cheap-tequila-while-consuming-chips-with-hellfire-hot-salsa purgatory.)

THE HOUZZ VORTEX

• Lars
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This link should get you to a place where you can see the results. Open it in another tab, to avoid any sucking.

• Jilly
    4 years ago

It worked! Thanks, Lars!

Lars thanked Jilly
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

Voted and it seems to be stuck on "submitting your results."

Lars thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

Thanks, that link worked for me as well. I see it is @ the houzz URL, not Gardenweb..

And it would be nice if it provided a total amount of votes too, I think.

• Jilly
    4 years ago

Carol, I see this on my page ... I think it’s the count so far (89):

• LynnNM
    4 years ago

DH has always told his patients to drink at least one glass of water for each drink of liquor to offset the alcohol after-effects. Soon after, or in between, if you’re having more than one. As I mentioned earlier, one mixed drink or two or 2 1/2 glasses of wine is our limit, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve noticed that I’ll wake up with a nasty headache in the middle of the night if I don’t drink a couple glasses of water, as well, before I go to sleep.

Lars thanked LynnNM
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

Thanks - guess I missed that!

• User
    4 years ago

I'd still be miserable from lack of sleep due to having to get up several times to pee.

• jojoco
    4 years ago

Jinx, once again, you and I are sisters! I usually have a glass of wine a day and we also love trying new cocktails.

Lars thanked jojoco
  • chispa
    4 years ago

Hmmm, I don't see the total votes.

• Lars
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You can see the total number of votes here, before you open the thread. Once you have opened the thread, it is too late - the tally only shows up in the headlines.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

I had no problem voting or seeing the tallies - I am here via gardenweb on my laptop.

I think I must be some kind of supertaster for most kinds of alcohol, for I dislike the taste of most alcoholic drinks. I would drink a small glass of white wine now and again, maybe as a spritzer, but now I find I feel always feel terrible the next day. And people keep giving me bottles of wine!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

Opened a new tap and use the houzz link. Voted again and can now see results. Think I will try it again on gardenweb and see what happens. Tried on gardenweb and it is again stuck on "submitting."

Lars thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • aprilneverends
    4 years ago

Me and alcohol do not go together well, so I drink a bit and rarely-holidays, birthdays, outings..

Something very light..white wine 6 % alcohol..)) My friends make fun of me, they call it "grape juice"

Very rarely I can taste rose or Syra(usually don't like red wine, Syra is an exception)

I do like mojito though, if made right, so I may ask once in a month or two (or three) to go have a lunch somewhere when they make a good mojito-that is, if we're out anyway. Also, if on vacation.

Lars thanked aprilneverends
  • Bonnie
    4 years ago

I enjoy a glass or two of wine most nights with dinner so I voted “only at cocktail hour.” My primary care doc encourages me to stick to one glass of wine due to the fact that alcohol raises women’s risk of breast cancer. i know she is right but I really enjoy pouring a glass of wine to drink while making dinner (agree with Bunny) and also like to have it with the meal.

Lars thanked Bonnie
  • fouramblues
    4 years ago

Bonnie, I used to have a couple glasses most nights, but I’m trying to stick to one now, also because of increased breast cancer risk. Plus, these days alcohol really interferes with my sleep. And then I also don’t need the extra calories. Getting old stinks...

Lars thanked fouramblues
  • runninginplace
    4 years ago

I don't really know why I bother to drink alcohol at all--I literally only like one type of alcoholic beverage (chardonnay), I feel lousy if I drink more than 2 glasses, and even at that level I can't drink more than a couple of nights in a row before it affects my sleep badly. Heck, even those 2 glasses often affects my sleep badly. Not to mention I drink alone (sounds like a George Thoroughgood song!) because husband is a teetotaler.

So anyway I go through spells when I have my wine a couple/three times weekly and then times I abstain for awhile. In the survey I answered only on weekends since that's probably the average for me ie twice a week.

Lynn, a doctor's wife who was a friend told me about the glass of water for every drink rule years ago and I've stuck with that, I always have water along with the wine.

Lars thanked runninginplace
  • st5330
    4 years ago

i picked drunk now. i drink 3-4, 3 maybe 4 times a week sometimes, then sometimes once a week or so. wasnt sure where that fit. I just love blue moon and drink it the way some do soda until i remind myself i shouldnt and cut back for a while...

Lars thanked st5330
  • Ladydi Zone 6A NW BC Canada
    4 years ago

I love alcohol of any type. My drink of choice was vodka but I wouldn't pass up beer or wine or pretty much anything. I would have several (6 oz)
    on weekdays and more on weekends. I say I 'would' because I had to several years ago due health problems (immune system). I miss having a drink and had no problem stopping which really surprised me. It never really interfered with much of anything since I never drank during the day and didn't really consume much until my children were in their late teens. I was lucky. I didn't vote.

Lars thanked Ladydi Zone 6A NW BC Canada
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 years ago

LOL, all I can say is not nearly enough!

Lars thanked Norwood Architects
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

The voting thing is cool, Lars. I had no issue using it.

Like many others, I lost my tolerance for alcohol after abstaining when I was pregnant, bf, etc. I can fly on a half of glass of almost anything. And then I need a nap. Thank goodness I'm not dating LOL. I'd be no fun.

Being somewhat of a gourmet, I have tried to learn about wine and done wine pairings and tastings etc. Just doesn't do it for me. I like fruit-forward girly mixed drinks, but made with very good fresh ingredients. I pretty much only order a drink when they have exotic handmade cocktails with fresh juice. And then I ask them to make it weak.

I do like making Sangria but its so caloric.

Just the other day, at a dinner party, my friend has this wine:

I tried it for one reason. Some of you will guess. The bottle is so darn pretty (and my friend didn't even have peonies next to it). And, it has a glass stopper! Be still my heart I shall buy it and use it as a water carafe!

Anyway, back to ancillary considerations. I had a glass--in fact I had two, and I really liked it! It actually gets pretty good ratings and its cheap (the only flaw, I'd think much more if it if it were dear).

https://cheapwineratings.com/2019/04/15/review-pasqua-11-minutes-rose/

Lars thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Feathers11
    4 years ago

Ooohhh...! I love the pretty. I also came across this line of non-alcoholic spirits that I want to try, if only for the pretty bottles.

https://seedlipdrinks.com/us/

Lars thanked Feathers11
  • Adan Donovan
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I loved alcohol since I was a teenager, I was drinking beer with friends every weekend. When I grew up I started to drink a glass or two of whiskey sour and it slowly became an addiction. I am writing that to tell you my friends my story and aware others about alcohol. It became very hard to come home after work and not pour something to drink, then I realized I have a problem and I decided to start a rehabilitation course at this page here witch really helped me

Lars thanked Adan Donovan
  • sushipup1
    3 years ago

The ways things are going, i may start drinking more in the next 2-1/2 weeks (or longer).

Lars thanked sushipup1
  • jmm1837
    last year

Another spammer, who apparently lives in New York, in the fine state of Massachusetts.

Lars thanked jmm1837