Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_91973507

Exterior update - suggestions needed

We’ve had our roof, windows, and front siding replaced. Windows and siding were rushed as we had rot underneath :( We need to replace: front door, sidelight windows, and half-moon window. I’m interested in changing the look of the half moon window - either keep the shape and have a different grill placement (vertical e/horizontal vs fanned) or change the half-moon window shape altogether. Next, the front door! Plain and sleek is fine with me - colour options? I’m also considering a subtle change to siding to include shaker shingles (or another siding “texture”) on the top right section of the house - same colour or slightly darker? Thoughts on this? I’ve removed the shutters! *Photo provided was taken before the last few pieces of siding were replaced.

Comments (13)

• jck910
    last month

I would keep all the siding the same. Can't see the door to know what is there now. I think I would close up the half circle window.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month
    last modified: last month

No to the shake siding for sure The 1/2 moon window remove it replace it with a simple one to fit the space one piece of glass . As for the front door I would not do the grids in the dielights IMO you have enough grids so a nice simple door with sidelights or maybe even a double door in that space or maybe a wideer door and one sidelight . As for color I think that needs to be decided after you choose the style. . As for the style of the door keep t simple . What is the siding material ? IMO the house could use a darker siding Once the 1/2 moon is gone then decide on the door style . I will wait for soma eanswers. The landscaping and driveway need some major work so maybe right now keep the sidng as is and just get rid of the 1/2 moon and replace that with glass . Even the door can be done any time .

• Kendrah
    last month

No to additional textures of siding. Change half moon to rectangle or get rid of it all together, but consider how that would change the amount of light in your home, and whether you would feel that the new empty wall will be imposing.

I see your concern with things looking too plain, especially on the lower right side. I would address that with strategic landscaping to add texture and interest. Dont think of landscaping as seperate from updating your house itself. Think of how the right necklace can totally transform a little black dress in to a completely new outfit. That is what lanacaping will do here.

• RedRyder
    last month

Agree with @Kendrah that the half moon being taken out and a smashing front door in a strong color (dark burgundy, deep turquoise, emerald green) will enhance your entry.

Go to a local garden center and find out if they provide free design advice if you buy plants and bushes there. Your house needs great flowering bushes (e.g. rhododendrons for tall ones, azaleas for lower) and some perennials to add interest and color. There are some bushes that are looking old and sad, which don’t help to “decorate” the outside.

• RedRyder
    last month

Some front door color ideas

• HU-910663146
    last month

The driveway and landscaping are more pressing changes if you ask me.

• colleenmary
    last month

You have a lovely house! I like the half moon window, and your door. I'd spend my money on landscaping the front yard, then decide on the window and door. After you landscape, choose a colour that you like to paint.

• Francine Galloway
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Thank you for the ideas and suggestions, in particular the door images and suggestions regarding the half-moon window. I’ve decided to square off the half-moon window and keep it without grilles. I will have plain sidelights installed (no grilles) and a nice new door. Image is below. Paint colour suggestions are appreciated. I’m considering Sherwin Williams Deep Sea Dive. As for landscaping, we are chipping away at it (2 acres!) but must prioritize the door as it leaks and there may be further rot to contend with - but thanks for the feedback.

• Francine Galloway
    Original Author
    12 days ago

ps black hardware and a new black entry light.

• Kay p
    12 days ago

Love your house Please come back when finished with new pictures

• RedRyder
    12 days ago

Yes, the squared off upper window is a better look than the half moon.

Your color choice is gorgeous!

• Francine Galloway
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Thank you RedRyder. I also love the light blue door colour that you shared previously. Do you happen to know the name of it? I truly appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida