Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

It Is Paczki Season Again!

My daughter brought me a box of four awhile ago. I look forward to them each year. My favorite filling is the raspberry, although I like others really well too. Have you gotten yours yet and what is your favorite filling?

Sue

Comments (16)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

Sue, you mention these delectable sounding things every year and every year I have to Google them, lol! They sound so delicious. I'm thinking that I would like the raspberry filling, too, with this decadent recipe.

I'm not sure that I could find authentic paczki in my area, but I may look around.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

These came from Meijer. I had one with a glass of milk for my supper!

Sue

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Not known in my area. I found an article that suggests it's a fried jelly doughnut. Is there more to know?

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Michael
    4 years ago

We got four this morning at the local bakery. Not authentic Polish, but close enough. All bakeries here go Polish on Fat Tuesday.

We like apple, custard and lemon.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Michael
  • Bookwoman
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Elmer, the dough is slightly different and richer than a regular jelly doughnut. (BTW, most doughnuts are fried.)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Bookwoman
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Yes, I know. There are a few reasons why I rarely eat doughnuts, that they're fried is probably #1.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

Clearly not something that you would enjoy, Elmer.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

I had to look them up too. I’m from the same area as rhizo and I cannot recall ever seeing them, but we have more specialty groceries now than ever, so maybe. When I saw that some contain apricot and orange zest, I could see myself givIng one a try.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Thye sound like berliners, yummy. There used to be a Slovakian bakery in Incline Village that made them for Carnival. I like them with apricot filling.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • joyfulguy
    4 years ago

Zalco ... yours come hemmed?

Haven't heard of that - do they last longer?

o j

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked joyfulguy
  • Claudianne Young
    4 years ago

Walmart had them today... outside Indianapolis

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Claudianne Young
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

I had to look them up again too. Then remembered, I'm sure I'd love the lemon. Lemon anything. The apricot could tempt me.

I've never had them, or seen them. Which seems odd, there is a Polish club here and we've gone to events with friends - a Polish dinner annually that has some wonderful tastes but its heavy, heavy food (or seems that way to me). Served on individual platters and enough to feed me for about a week ;0)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • arcy_gw
    4 years ago

This is sooooo interesting to me. My SIL is from Poland. My nephew married a gal who grew up surrounded by a Polish community in Mpls. and NEVER have I heard of these. Fat Tuesday is a thing, being Catholic and staring down Lent and all. How have I never heard these mentioned anywhere before? I guess Mardi gras gets all the press?

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked arcy_gw
  • Judy Good
    4 years ago

I am a raspberry fan also!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Judy Good
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

They have them in our grocery this time of year but I've never had one. I told DH to buy one so I can have a bite and let him eat the rest. I certainly don't need another thing to chow down on ... I do too much of that already.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Annie Deighnaugh