Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jupidupi

Would a sheet cake style cheesecake work?

jupidupi
4 years ago

My friend wants cheesecake for Thanksgiving and I don't have a springform pan. Plus, there will be 18 people there. And, I have to transport it an hour away. So I'm thinking of making the cheesecake in my big glass lasagna dish -- just leave it in the dish and serve it like that. Does that make sense? I don't have much experience with cheesecake, and the recipes all seem to call for removing it from the pan. (I also have a metal lasagna pan if that would work better.)

Comments (22)

• kathyg_in_mi
    4 years ago

No, cheese cake can be made and stay in the pan. My DH's aunt made one and it was baked in a 9x13 pan.

I make an Amaretto cheese cake that is no bake, I don't see why that could not be made in a 9x13 pan.

jupidupi thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • DawnInCal
    4 years ago

That will work. I don't have a springform pan either so I do what you are thinking of doing. It may not look as elegant, but it will still be yummy!

jupidupi thanked DawnInCal
  • bbstx
    4 years ago

You could also bake it in individual mini-muffin tins.

jupidupi thanked bbstx
  • wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

What I consider real cheesecake would not bake up the same at all. Good cheesecake has to bake slowly to come out best. It would not bake evenly in a rectangular pan. Actually a water bath is still the best way.

But if you are looking for a light please the crowd version you can do an icebox cheesecake of just about any size or shape.

This one is supposed to be like Woolworth's. It's ok but more like a custard, not dense New York style cheesecake.

Woolworth's Fluffy Cheesecake
    Yield: 12 servings
    1 (3-ounce) package lemon gelatin

1 cup boiling water
    8 ounces cream cheese
    1 cup granulated sugar
    5 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk, well chilled
    About 8 ounces graham crackers, crushed

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Let cool until slightly thickened.
    With electric mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
    Add thickened gelatin; beat well.
    In another bowl, beat evaporated milk until fluffy. Add cream cheese mixture;
    beat well.Line the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch pan with crushed graham crackers.
    Spoon filling into pan, spreading evenly. Top with more crushed graham crackers.
    Chill until firm.

Per serving: 283 calories; 11g fat (35 percent calories from fat); 6g saturated fat;
    29mg cholesterol; 5g protein; 41g carbohydrate; 32g sugar; 0.5g fiber; 240mg sodium;
    95mg calcium; 142mg potassium.

jupidupi thanked wildchild2x2
  • Fun2BHere
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

My mother always makes her cheesecake in a glass 9" x 13" glass pan.

jupidupi thanked Fun2BHere
  • lindac92
    4 years ago

It will be fine in a lasagna pan....just be sure your recipe is large enough to fill the pan....needs to have at least 2 1/2 pounds of cream cheese.
    And bake it in a water bath if you can find a bigger pan. It will be smoother.
    But frankly I would run to Wally-World and buy an inexpensive spring form pan. Your cheesecake will be prettier.

jupidupi thanked lindac92
  • Sooz
    4 years ago

Just a thought.... if there are going to be 18 people and if they *all* want a piece of cheesecake and you borrow or buy a springform pan, you may want to make TWO cheesecakes. Otherwise, the 9 x 13 will work just fine, and as Linda says, make sure your recipe is enough to fill the pan.

jupidupi thanked Sooz
  • Elizabeth
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

In a lasagna pan, the edges of the cheesecake will be overdone. Perhaps try a cream cheese bar dessert? You could also use pre-made graham crust in the foil pan and make 2 or 3 cheesecakes, perhaps with different toppings?

jupidupi thanked Elizabeth
  • Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

If you have a particular recipe you are using, cooking time might have to be adjusted and getting it just right the 1st try might be the problem. I often halve my cheesecake recipe to put in a pie plate, reduce the cooking time. Tastes just as good, never cracks and never leftovers.

jupidupi thanked Nancy 6b
  • User
    4 years ago

I'm the last one to try to improvise when it comes to baking, but we have a grocery-store bakery here that makes a wonderful bar cheesecake so I'm sure it can be done.

jupidupi thanked User
  • kim47
    4 years ago

I have done in a glass 9x13 plenty of times and it has been delicious. Do cut back on cooking time though. Go for it.

jupidupi thanked kim47
  • salonva
    4 years ago

Oh my what could be better than a large cheese cake?!?! Definitely let us know how it works out. I think I wish I was going to your Thanksgiving!!! I make a mean pecan pie that people love but I would kill for cheese cake.

• jupidupi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nicole, I'm going to try that recipe. And how did you know that my friend hates cinnamon? I was going to use the Joy of Cooking recipe because I have distant memories of a sour cream topping -- and your recipe has that, too!

• jupidupi thanked mercurygirl
  • Chi
    4 years ago

smitten kitchen recipes are always amazing.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Nicole's recipe and the Smitten Kitchen recipe look great. Cheesecake bars can be a nice alternative.

• liira55
    4 years ago

My mom always made the no bake cheesecake using Dream Whip and it was always in a glass 9x13 dish.

• eld6161
    4 years ago

I would not improvise. Instead, use some of the suggestions of a cake that is supposed to be made in your size pan.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

I do a recipe similar to Nicoles but rather than the sour cream top (which is really good) I often use the blueberry topping recipe from the Best of Bridge recipe,

So I use the base and the cream cheese layer from Nicoles recipe and then the topping from this recipe. Mainly because the cheese layer from this recipe isn't nearly enough, so I discovered.

https://www.bestofbridge.com/blueberry-bonanza/

jupidupi thanked blfenton
  • jupidupi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, Nicole___!!! The cheesecake was a big hit.

• jewels_ks
    4 years ago

I made these for a bridal shower and it was wonderful and very pretty.

Raspberry Lemon Cheesecake

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022