Do you still have fingerprints

Toronto Veterinarian

A friend of mine (76 years old) no longer has fingerprints that can be successfully read or printed (digital or paper). She says they started getting harder to read about 10 years ago, and now they totally fail any fingerprinting (for DHS or background checks, etc). Apparently, she's been told it's not uncommon in older people, even those who haven't had a life that's been physically hard on their hands (caustic solutions, etc).

So, does anyone here no longer have fingerprints? I find myself wondering now if I'll lose my fingerprints when I get older, or not.

SaveComment20Like
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I've have faint fingerprints for years. I had to be fingerprinted for work and they had a really hard time getting good prints.

Save    
Olychick

My eyes aren't that great to see if they are there, but they work for passwords on my laptop and phone, so I guess they still exist.

1 Like Save    
littlebug Zone 5 Missouri

We lose our fingerprints?! Who knew? Is this simply due to age or does use of our fingers have something to do with it?

My thumbprint still works to open my iphone so I guess I’m good.

Save    
Bookwoman

According to the interwebs:

It can be more difficult to capture our fingerprints as we age. This is because the skin loses elasticity with age, and the patterns become less prominent due to the thickening of ridges and furrows.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Interesting...I'd not heard this before.

Save    
lucillle

That doesn't mean us seniors are free to turn to a life of crime.

10 Likes Save    
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

^^Ha ha ha ha ha^^^^^ It's also harder to outrun the cops.

6 Likes Save    
morz8 - Washington Coast

I have no idea. I think the last time I was finger printed was many decades ago when being bonded for a bookkeeping job. One of the other office employees had embezzled and my employer was taking extra steps. My finger tips look fine, not dry or weathered but they are 7 decades total aged now 😊

Save    
girlnamedgalez8a

I am going in for an appointment to get clearance for TSA precheck this coming Wednesday. They will take fingerprints at that time. Now I will be worried about my fingerprints,

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Mine are worn away, seemingly, and the police officer taking my prints joked that I could be a crook 😁

2 Likes Save    
mollycats

Mine are mostly gone, glad to hear it is normal! Soon to be 76 and noticed this a year or so ago.

Save    
Lars

The very tips of mine look a bit smooth, but I noticed this a long time ago. However, the pads still have very distinct ridges. If I had some lipstick, it would be easier to check.

Speaking of which, do lip prints fade also? Or do they get more pronounced?

Save    
pekemom

I’m 77 and I just looked at mine too, they do look less prominent, how funny….

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

I remember in my younger years needing to get fingerprinted for a new tweaching position. We had just moved into a new apartment, and i had spent the previous few days scrubbing everything. Lo and behold, the policeman trying to fingerprint me told me that I had no fingerprints. So I waited a few scrub free days and tried again with success.

2 Likes Save    
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24

I had to have mine taken recently for a background check for a volunteer position. The first time it didn’t work and I had to go back. I also have great difficulty using touch ID to open my iPhone.

The place doing the fingerprinting recommended using plenty of hand lotion for a week before being fingerprinted. Interestingly, when I did that I was able to use touch ID on my phone.

Save    
s s

I'm 84 and I turn on my phone with my thumbprint

1 Like Save    
Olychick

I keep seeing this thread on my notifications and realized that something about this kind of freaks me out! I don't NEED my fingerprints anymore, at my age and lifestyle, but it feels like some part of my identity might disappear if I lose my fingerprints! Kind of like how I might feel if I lost my hair. Or my eyesight or hearing. Some essential part of me might disappear!

1 Like Save    
marilyn_c

I have no idea. I didn't realize it was a possibility that they could fade with age. I am 77....so maybe not.

Save    
floraluk2

"I don't NEED my fingerprints anymore, at my age and lifestyle" ...

If you do any travelling you may well need them. We get fingerprinted entering the US and now, thanks to the disaster that is Brexit, we can't even go to mainland Europe without it.

1 Like Save    
lily316

I never thought about it but looking at my old hands they do look faint.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Countertops Kitchen Counters: Granite, Still a Go-to Surface Choice
Every slab of this natural stone is one of a kind — but there are things to watch for while you're admiring its unique beauty
Full Story
Kitchen Countertops 7 Low-Maintenance Countertops for Your Dream Kitchen
Fingerprints, stains, resealing requirements ... who needs ’em? These countertop materials look great with little effort
Full Story
Kitchen Design Alternatives to Granite Countertops, Part II
Still looking for a new kind of countertop? Try sodalite, zinc, limestone, onyx and more
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever