Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksblase

Electrolux perfumed smell

Karenseb
9 years ago

Hi,
I have been looking at the Electrolux entry level front loader washing machine mainly because the washing machine door can be reversed.
I have noticed in reviews that a couple people found the washing machine gasket to emit a perfumed smell. This Washing machine will be in a laundry/office setup which we use a lot. Is the smell noticeable to anyone who has this machine. I would not worry if it was in a room by itself.
The other machine I looked at was the entry level LG front loader which would require moving the dryer vent.
If anyone has these machines, please let me know of any other pros and cons.

Comments (24)

• larsi_gw
    9 years ago

There is NO perfume smell. I like scented things, so was kind of looking forward to a scented gasket, LOL, but alas....no scent. The machine smells good inside. I read the rubber has been treated to help resist mold & mildew, but I have never detected any smell!

• Karenseb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Larsi,

Maybe some machines have it and some don't! The machine at HD had it. The model number ended in 60. What model do you have and how old is your machine?

• sure4certain
    9 years ago

I've owned the 60 series washer and dryer now for 1 month. There is a slight smell from the washer gasket, but nothing obnoxious and I'd suspect most people would never really notice. I leave my door open after every wash. This Electrolux pair replaced my 7 year old Samsung set as a result of a bad bearing on the Samsung washer. So far, the Electrolux set has performed beyond my expectations. I would not be concerned with the smell as described. It's not like walking past a perfume counter at Macy's.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Maybe some machines have it and some don't!

The difference is probably in people's noses rather than the machines.

• Karenseb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks sure 4 certain and hytech. My nose is slightly more sensitive and I was only concerned because we spend a lot of time in the laundry room where our computer is located.

• georgect
    last year
    last modified: last year

It definitely will subside.

To speed up the process you might want to run some Sanitize cycles so the rubber can get hot and release the scent.

I always use Borax in every load so maybe that helped remove some of the scent.

You may want to add some baking soda into a wash load to help with the smell.

• HU-847487545
    last year

I also unfortunately experienced that horrible sickly smell you find coming from your new Electrolux front loader. I’m so sorry! Within days of its installation, I called Electrolux customer service about it—they were extremely rude and would only say that odors are not covered in the warranty. I had to wear an N95 mask (with carbon in it) around my Electrolux for the first year, until the nauseating smell went away. When this washer goes out, I will not buy another Electrolux. Which is sad, because the machine cleans clothes very well and is gentle too.

• Kate
    last year

Never noticed a smell from mine. Stays nice and clean and no mildew anywhere.

• Yelena Shuster
    last year

Got this machine not knowing that the gasket was imbued with a baby powder scent. I found it very strong and unpleasant. I could smell it even with the door closed and the smell would rub off on my clothes. Returned the machine. I wish they had disclosed this on the packaging!

• Alana K
    11 months ago

Just got a new Electrolux ELFW7537AW, and the washer door rubber gasket has been soaked with so much strong perfume/deodorizer that it's unusable for anyone with even the slightest scent allergy. DO NOT BUY ELECTROLUX WASHING MACHINES IF YOU HAVE SCENT ALLERGIES. I am wheezing, my eyes are swollen half shut, and I can't even get my VOC mask on because my nose won't stop running like a faucet.

I have tried every trick in the book to remove the deodorizer, and nothing has worked. I can only assume that Electrolux has baked the oil-based perfume right into the rubber during manufacture. Wasted all day working my way up the chain of customer service/support reps at Electrolux and still have not got to a person who can assist.

I see that USA Today noted that the washer door gasket on Electrolux washers have had this problem since at least 2015. In a review, they said:

"Also, the washer emits a strong floral smell because Electrolux impregnated the door gasket with deodorant. It's to help combat the mildew smell many front-loaders get when users leave them closed after a wash, but it smelled a bit like the kind of room deodorizer that gets used in hospitals and nursing homes."

• dadoes
    11 months ago

Alana K, there was no scent on the store display Electrolux models that you perused before purchase, or were you unable to examine any?

• Alana K
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

dadoes, Landlord bought them online and had them delivered. No indication anywhere on the appliance store website or in the appliance literature that the gaskets are soaked with a nasty volatile organic compound. Perfumed washing machines are not the sort of thing one would ever expect. They're supposed to clean your clothes, not make them stink.

• Cavimum
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Alana K - electrolux should in post a warning on these machines for scent sensitive people. i would hate that smell.

• Alana K
    10 months ago

Cavimum, agreed. It's not like years ago when you'd have to go to a brick and mortar appliance store and look at appliances. Many people buy appliances online and have them delivered. If there's no indication in the description and features list that the washer gasket is highly scented, there's no way you'd know until it's been delivered and unboxed. And once it's unboxed, most stores won't let you return it.

In my search for an unscented aftermarket gasket, I've found that most appliance salespeople and appliance parts salespeople are unaware of the fact that Electrolux and its subsidiary brands use a strong fragrance mixed in with the rubber during manufacture of their gaskets. It's part of their patented process to stop mold and mildew growth, apparently.

• HU-463406636
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

[OFF-TOPIC] @Alana K I was using a Web-indexing service, to follow-up on a discussion, that I had, with a person in a situation that's _very_ similar, to yours—'coincidentally'—which how I come to be posting, here; I'm wondering if you could be this person, that I spoke with/met—I failed to provide them with my contact information. both, this person, and myself, were shopping for a tablet-computer, 13 June (Tuesday); this person happened to mention that, they were in possession of a circa 1999 Compaq-brand portable p.c., that I'm interested in renting, borrowing, swapping, or buying. in any case, I'd be interested to follow-up with this person, regarding what was discussed. mdw_03802 ⓐ openmail .cc (not ".ca")

• HU-796722545
    9 months ago

i just bought one and yes, it stinks! I am now tryingt to return it. It is not disclosed in the use & care manual. It gives me a headache to be around it. I am trying to find out if they can replace the gasket with an unscented version or how long it will take to "outgas", but by the comments on here it seems to be rather permanent, so if you are an unscented laundry type, do NOT buy this washer.

• HU-796722545
    9 months ago

Yes. the smell is very noticable.I am working to return the washer I just bought. My recommendation is if you have people who are chemically/scent sensitive in your organization, to avoid this purchase. I have noticed that many places of employment are asking for a scent free environment these days. Good for them. Not everyone likes chemical scents and perfumes.

• brooklyn_townhouse
    6 months ago

I found this thread. I just got this machine and can confirm the smell is there. It’s sickly and disgusting. I use unscented laundry detergent and try to avoid VOCs. I can smell it across the room even with the door closed. How are they allowed to not disclose tbis?!?

• Nanette B.
    5 months ago

I just received my washer two days ago (11/2023) and yes, it has such a strong odor, it's super overpowering. :( I'm so bummed! I love the look of it in my new laundry area and it seems to be washing really well. If anyone has done the research and found a fix, please do post!

• Cadyren
    5 months ago

I've had mine 2 weeks & don't really notice it anymore. Many manufacturers put this kind of stuff on their boots. How does the GE smell? I am totally enjoying my machine; sorry you are not.

• Evelyne Germain
    last month

I bought the Electrolux washing machine two months ago, and it still absolutely stinks. The smell has not gone away at all. The machine is in our bathroom. I hold my breath every time I go in the bathroom, so I can avoid getting a whiff of it - that's how bad it is! I leave the bathroom door closed at all times as well. If I do breathe it in, unfortunately, the smell stays in my nose all day! It doesn't matter that the machine works well, the perfumed oil and chemical odor permeates the entire house. After reading the comments above, I will try scrubbing the rubber casket with baking soda, wash on sanitize and contact the company.

• Cadyren
    last month

I have had mine since 11/15/23 & I don't smell it at all anymore. I forgot about it after the first 2 weeks.

• HU-796722545
    last month

I also experienced the sickening smell when I first got this washer and was trying to return it. The store salesmen would not reutrn my calls and acted like I was crazy. This thread is super helpful that many are also experiencing this. To the person who asked if we went to theh store and did not notice this at time of purchse. Honestly it would never have occured to me to stick my head in the washer and smell the gasket! Anyway, the end of my story is that I purchased some charcoal oder absorbing bags from Amazon and after every use, I lay a couple of them on the gasket and leave them there. They have helped quite a bit. I hardly notice the smell anymore unless I put my nose right up agaist the gasket, and before it would fill the entire room as others have experienced. I've had my washer for 8 months now.