Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

i need your opinions on craft home parties...

toomuchglass
19 years ago

I hope I get a zillion responses here .... both pro & con.

You know -- this is really an untapped market ... so many people are just so sick of candles and tupperware ... yet there are crafty people that would either buy "kits" OR finished crafts. I've been doing some serious thinking ...

I know so many people that are crafty and just don't want to buy a zillion dollars worth of supplies to make one project. WHAT IF ~~~ a home party offered a "kit" ? Can you imagine the excitement if FINISHED projects were shown and kits were offered ? All of us here each have different skills - I do stained glass . I know for a fact - there was a stained glass home party that did awesome sales --- but they had to quit because they depended on outside forces to fill their orders... and they couldn't. Now is the time to book fall parties.

Whatcha think ? I bet that every one of us that have

"unique" stuff could do it ! -- even sell each other's stuff for comission ... to make a "complete craft store"

Please give me your opinions !!!

Comments (45)

• loganhogan
    19 years ago

Mother and I thought about doing a mini "craft show/Christmas open house" at home and had a mailing list at our 2 fall shows. Tons of people signed up on the mailing list; however when it came down to RSVP no one was interested by christmas. My cousin works in a large doctors office and somebody there is always having some type of party; however few of them are crafty. They would be more interested in ready made projects than something to make and take. I think alot would depend on the area you live. I'm 70 miles from Birmingham, AL and Atlanta, GA; however my area is pretty rural. So things are kinda ify here sometimes. Good Luck!
    Susan In BAma

• Adella Bedella
    19 years ago

I'm not sure I completely understand where you are going with this.

I have friends who want to get together once a month and have another craftsy friend show the rest how to make the craft. The craftsy friend provides the materials. Everyone pays a little for materials and time. If that's what you're saying, I think there is a market for "craft kits".

Finished projects don't seem to do as well around here (New Mexico). It may be the quality of the finished projects or it may be that people's tastes are changing. Also, NM attracts a lot of artsy type people so they may just make their own stuff.

A friend of mine has a Christmas open house during the first week of November. She invites people from the various home parties -home decorating, scrapbooking, baskets, makeup, etc. She says they make a lot of money off of it. I don't know how well the stuff you have to order from a booklet and then deliver sells. I don't see people leaving the party empty handed.

• mariend
    19 years ago

As to kits, it depends on how much a person wants to learn a new craft, time needed to make it, how much time the leader/ has to spend with each person, and the most important I think, is does the person making the craft/kit really wants the finished project.
    Years ago I went to a RV park in TX, and the crafter was teaching the hanging rainbow fans. They are really easy to make, do require a good supply of beads and ribbon and plastic canvas circles. She had kits make up to sell and did well. But then due to the fact it was membership RV park she had a good turnover of people.
    Here their are not many craft shops and/or teachers. We just got a new Hobby Lobby in Bismark, 2 hours away, but have not been to it yet. I just went to our first craft show Fri, and most of the things were almost the same as the one in Nov. I did get a beatiful picture of flowers made from pheasant feathers.

• nansgarden
    19 years ago

Your party plan sounds great, if you have a passion for it go- for- it! Seasoned crafters find crafting an extension of their creativity. Not sure if crafters would be interested in purchasing pre- designed products.
    "How to Crafting" classes may be a start to test the idea.

Good luck ........

• costumegrl
    19 years ago

Hi Kathy, You have a great idea. When my boss said the same thing to me, I just kinda didn't respond in my normal enthusiam....thinking - "it depends on where you live." And "my plate is full". Well, I have some great ideas and am willing to help in any way I can. email me and I'll toss a few. Chris

• janet_ks
    19 years ago

I'm like Candy, I'd make a great guest since I have three large under-the-bed storage boxes filled with brand new craft kits that I've acquired over the years, but never seem to find time to make. I guess that's what I'll do when I retire someday!!

I may be showing my age, but does anyone remember Creative Circle from the early 1980's?? It was a company that sold needlework kits and supplies at in-home parties (much like Pampered Chef and Home Interior). Their sales reps or consultants would demonstrate a type of craft at each show and provide demo kits or small samples of the craft that guests could make during the show. They had a fantastic hostess program I think I had three or four parties within about a 5 year period. They've been out of business for some time now, but I wouldn't mind seeing another company like that start up -- the parties were a lot of fun.

I do craft shows in the fall and was trying to come up with ideas for craft kits for kids where I would buy the supplies in bulk and then package individual kits with instructions that the kids could take home and make. I never really came up with any good ideas last year and if anyone has some suggestions, I'd sure appreciate it.

Kathy -- Your idea about pooling our resources and helping to sell each other's stuff sounds interesting, but I'm not sure how you'd be able to pull it off. If you come up with a game plan, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
    Janet

• heather_on
    19 years ago

I'm not a big fan of parties where you go and are expected to buy things. I'd rather take my chances selling on ebay than make it awkward for friends that feel that they need to support your project but really don'e need what you are selling.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I remember Creative Circle !!!! That's why I kept thinking about craft home parties because I had so much fun there ! As for combining our talents - that was just thinking out loud ! I think I might have one person try a party or two ... there's so much to think about though ... ordering - stocking - delivering ...Maybe by the time I Have my first craft fair this fall ... I can think things through and maybe have some info at my table. It's just such an untapped market ....

• june_nd
    19 years ago

Marie,
    You will love the Hobby Lobby in Bismarck. So much stuff, so little time. I have also been to the one in Fargo. I also live 2 hours from Fargo and 3 hours from Bismarck but when I get there I really look the place over and get what I need.
    As for the kits, I think the idea is great. I like to do crafts but don't a lot of the times as one must have so much stuff that maybe you won't use again so I would opt to just buy item ready made. I used to buy kits from somewhere a long time ago. Got a new craft each month and loved it.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    19 years ago

June --- did you get kits from FAD OF THE MONTH ? I used to get a monthly kit --- for a DOLLAR !!!!! LOL
    I looked forward to those kits .... !!!!

• metanner672
    7 years ago

Janet, I used to do the Creative Circle classes/shows and taught all kinds of crafts. I loved it and of course we had kits for sale. I went all over the state of NC doing classes. The company was doing great until someone on the inside decided to embezzle not only money but kits and it caused the company to go out of business. I think it is a great idea and would love to do it again. Let me know if I can tell you about how it worked. I think I still have some of the teaching kits at home in my stash.

• phish_gw
    7 years ago

Great idea. I would totally go if invited, but it all depends on people's interest. This makes me think of those "paint and pour" parties people now do where they make a party out of it with their own wine and snacks. I see this is an old post. TooMuchGlass did you end up doing this? If so, how did it go?

• Johanna Repke
    7 years ago

Is anyone still considering this? Message me, I'd love to share ideas! I want to do home parties for a company that sells knitting supplies

• Pamela Custer
    7 years ago

In the 1970's I went to Home Craft Parties. Me and a big bunch of other ladies. It was exciting to learn so many different crafts. I would love to do this again. But I don't remember the name of the company, Maybe Home Arts and Crafts show. I just looked today to see if I could find them and stumbled on this board. I hope someone Does. Start. This. Up. and soon too. I am really not a seller, I'm a buyer. But I love teaching Crafts. I teach Crochet at Hobby Lobby right now and I love it. Let's Do This Thing!

• Robin L Farley
    6 years ago

Hi, I like your idea! I lived in Germany and loved Creative Circle! I’m wondering if there’s a chance to might have a pattern that I’ve done and since lost. It was a welcome sign came with a fancy frame. Around the words were good sized flowers, Jacobean, I Think?ive been searching forever, just thought I’d ask if you might have it. I’m would gladly pay for a copy!!! Thank you for your time, Robin F

• Sandra Gawinski
    6 years ago

Creative Circle was very big in the late 80's and early 90's, attended one meeting then had a few parties and accumulated several kits completing at least 6-8 of them, gave away a few as gifts. Loved it but also got into the cross stitching direction which I loved and am attempting to return to it after a 5-year hiatus. Thanks for the memories, I find I can get items and kit selections as well as the site: 123stitch. I find tons of things from gold needles, beautiful scissors, needle minders, etc and on eBay, (especially the embellished embroidery kits usually so quick to do and when framed nicely is quite a gift to any female friend or family member. Never quit...stitching will either drive you crazy or keep you sane! Lol !

Sandy G

• Cali Hoopingarner
    6 years ago

It's been a few years since this was started up, but I used to sell Creative Circle and I think it was so fun! Everyone that never had done a needle craft went home with an order and a sample kit to learn. It was great!

• metanner672
    5 years ago

I taught crafts at Creative Circle parties and I loved it. It broke my heart when the company folded.

• HU-812255424
    5 years ago

I too was a Creative Circle rep, in Missouri, Wisconsin and Kentucky, and loved it. I still have items in my home (mostly Christmas) I made all those years ago!

• HU-975182184
    5 years ago

I was looking to buy some vintage creative Circle and stumbled upon this site. My friend and my small town has a home business called Hidden Valley crafts which she is a dealer from the main company just like she would be a tupperware lady. http://www.craftylittleyou.com

I think it is headquartered in Idaho and I am in Utah. It would be good to have a lot of other crafts. But this one's pretty fun so thought I would share.

• HU-192045361
    4 years ago

I too also was a Creative Circle consultant for many years. It was great as my husband was in the service and I was able to set up my business at each of his duty stations. I was heart broken when they went out of business. I think it would be great if there was something like that again. The kits were inexpensive and very easy for anyone to . I still find their kits out there and they nice gifts, quick and easy when don't have time for something more elaborate to make. I would be interested if you start something similar. Love stitching hate idol hands.

• HU-812255424
    4 years ago

I was a Creative Circle consultant as well in the 1980s in MO, WI and KY for a total of 6 yrs. Loved it and did well but the better my business, the less joy I had doing needlework. I think the days for those types of home parties are over. People can buy what crafts they want at a store or online and learn how to do anything whenever they want on YouTube!

• Sandra Gawinski
    4 years ago

I have to agree..I was on the receiving end and a late bloomer to stitching (both cross stitch as well as embroidery) I did enjoy it so. I hosted a couple of home parties and still have those completed items (yes..done in the '80s!). Most quality crafts have to be purchased online as there are no stitchery shops anywhere! I order from 123stitch or on eBay...miss those days and beautiful kits!

• HU-259749743
    3 years ago

I sold Creative Circle back in the 80's. The ones most interested were young home makers. They wanted to learn, and were good students and booked several "home parties". Recently I held knit and crochet classes at a local assisted living. I have quilted at a couple of churches. I'm in a rural area, but senior centers, day care parents, friends and relatives all are possible customers.

• Robin L Farley
    3 years ago

I lived in Germany and was lucky enough to have a gal there that sold CreativeCircle. I bought everything cross stitch I could! Now I have a question for you ladies who were selling it! I had one of their patterns, It was the world Welcome, with Jacobean flowers around it and you could buy the pretty shaped frame to go with it. I had this , made it and of course being military it all got lost in a move. Even the pattern. So...does anyone have that pattern? I really want to make it again. Hoping someone replies!!! Thank you ladies!

• Sandra Gawinski
    3 years ago

Hello Robin, I have just moved, and can identify with the military and loss of items. We lost. 4 boxes in our move from Georgia to upstate NY when we were first married. My husband and I are both ex-military, anyway, I lost the love of my life this past April and now in a senior condo near my sons, and slowly settling in. I have to say... your message struck a chord with me as I was an avid cross-stitcher and loved the Creative Circle company, even held a couple of parties...I wanted to obtain the jacobean design also nd found it on eBay ... is this what you were requesting? The photos would not up but check them out eBay....

The above may not make sense but I think what you are looking for is there..or if you send me your cell phone I can take a picture and text it to you...did not see it on Amazon ... Good luck and let me know what happens!

Sandra Gawinski :-)

• Robin L Farley
    3 years ago

I wish it were. They lost that one too but I have since remade it. The one I’m looking for is just the word “ Welcome’ I believe it was sort of a calligraphy type font, but it’s been a long time. It had fliers inter twining through the letters. Someone out there has that pattern, I just know it! I miss the military life and I really miss Creative Circle ALOT!

• HU-154417613
    3 years ago

I loved creative circle parties and their kits. I also have subscribed to craft kits by mail a long time ago. Just a crafty girl. Like kits with all the stuff to make it in it.

• HU-810879867
    3 years ago

Yes I agree! That the best to introduce young moms I teach new ways to get together. I really wish it would start up again.

• Charlene Shute
    3 years ago

Yes!! I remember it well and was just talking to someone about starting one up again

• Charlene Shute
    3 years ago

That is what the Creative Circl groups wete in the 1980s. Each month was a different craft. I would get so many kits and the people Would buy them from me and we would finish a craft each month. Sometimes it was tin punch, the next month it was quilted pot holders, next month it was batiking...you know, it could have been every other week; its been awile. We would meet at a different persons house each time, bring a dish, something to drink, i taught a lot of those sessions. Learned a lot, met great creative oeople and had fun.

• Charlene Shute
    3 years ago

The kits were inexpensive and would complete the project usually during the class. There are SO many crafts to do nowadays, i am sure there has to be plenty that several people would be interested in. Even finger crocheting, glass etching, ink dying, etc

• Carmen Bonilla
    3 years ago

I used to order tons of stuff from them, & also had parties to demonstrate new crafts to my clients. I loved it! I used to get free kits every time I had a party or for orders over a certain amt. It was great! Before that there was another similar company called Creative Expressions that did the same thing!I wish they were back!

• Carmen Bonilla
    3 years ago

When you had a party, you would demonstrate a new craft, you would get a pkg w/ sm kits for each participant. The kits were cute & sm enough that you could complete at the party! They were fun!

• Charlene Shute
    3 years ago

Yes, that is what I am talking about. In the 70s it was Craft Circle but in reading other comments, it looks like different ones existed. It was fun, inexpensive, you learned a different craft each time and were able to bring something home with you and if you did a good job, you could keep it or gift it but you learned something and could pursue it further if you wanted to. The old crafts were tole painting, macrame, tin punching, cross-stitching, embroidery, etched glass, etc.

• Charlene Shute
    3 years ago

Also, to have the parties, you definitely need the RSVP in order to purchase the amount of stuff to make the kits and so it can be affordable for attendees and you, the hostess.

• Rosemarie Gilman
    2 years ago

I used to sell for thus company and would like to again

• HU-459110860
    2 years ago

I used to conduct Creative Circle classes. I loved teaching people the different stitches and selling the products. Or I should say the products sell themselves. My eyes don't do so well now, but I will always remember how much fun I had with it back in the late 70's and early 80's.

• Charlene Shute
    2 years ago

I used to host and yeach Creative Circle also! Been thinking about doing something like it again

• HU-459110860
    2 years ago

Go for it. Lots of fun.

• yulonda yates
    2 years ago

I remember them. My sister just finished the begal.tiger .I was 9 when my mom got it at the party. I'm almost 50 .so cool to see

• Patt Clymer
    last year

Yulonda Yates ~ I have been LOOKING FOR THE PATTERN for the Bengal Tiger (#1507 designed by Cecily Willis). Do you think your sister might still have it? If so, could she share it with me? I have the started project & a photo of the piece (for the kit) but the instructions have disappeared!

• HU-92546566
    9 months ago

I used to sell Creative Circle in California in the 80’s!! I would go into homes and teach the attendees how to do a certain stitch. Everyone would stitch something to take home then order stitchery kits from my catalog. It was great fun! I sold everything in an estate sale when I moved to Texas. I wish I would have saved some of my instructions. Now I need someone to teach ME how to do cross stitch again! Any suggestions??

• HU-424454607
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

In the early 1980s, I also arranged home party needlecraft demos for the Creative Circle. Their kits included crewel embroidery, cross stitch, needlepoint, and applique projects. The guests had a lot of fun! Some of them bought the full-sized kits, some did not - they just came for the party kit and to socialize, which is also great!

I looked up Creative Circle online, and the needlecraft company site said nothing about home parties, but they do sell kits online now. There is also a different company called Creative Circle that is a "recruiting and consulting services company". They have nothing to do with needle crafts.

I still have, and display, my samples from when I was a party consultant. They are very high quality and beautiful.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner